Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:47 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Type III Anodizing recommendation 

Anyone know of any good places to get 80% lowers anodized? Was going to use US Anodizing until I found out they don't do 80%ers.

Thanks.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is the 80 already finished or no?

Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:58 am

It is currently not finished. Would prefer it anodized AFTER it is finished, however that doesn't appear to be an option.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm interested too

Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:40 pm

I found a couple of places.

1) New Frontier Aromory does 80% lowers (100% lowers have to go through FFL per their own policies) for about $15 per item. I've heard their turnaround is lengthy but the work is good. Advertised as a true Type III finish.

2) I found a guy that works out of Texas (Company is HRW) and has a solid presence on AR15.com under the username "Elucidate", real name Dave.
Spoke to him through email - super nice and informative guy, I chose his company to do my M16 receiver set in an anodized XM grey. Not sure if it is Type III but I don't care at this point. I hear he does other retro colors as well.

90% of the other companies I emailed last week have yet to get back to me.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:14 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

I an clearly see the huge inventory control mess it would create when having constant shipments of homemade receivers that do not have unique and markings for a process that is done in batches.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:54 am
Profile WWW

dreadi wrote:
I an clearly see the huge inventory control mess it would create when having constant shipments of homemade receivers that do not have unique and markings for a process that is done in batches.

I agree. HRW said they normally do batches but will do a small batch for you for a bit extra. That is probably to help avoid a huge stockpile of receivers. They do have an FFL but to ship legally I believe it needs to be identified with serial number, model and manufacturing location.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:41 am

LoveThySpatula wrote:
dreadi wrote:

I agree. HRW said they normally do batches but will do a small batch for you for a bit extra. That is probably to help avoid a huge stockpile of receivers. They do have an FFL but to ship legally I believe it needs to be identified with serial number, model and manufacturing location.

NOPE. You don't need any of that info on your receiver to ship a gun. There's a lot of guns on the market that were made by major mfgs that do not have serial numbers.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:00 pm
Profile WWW

Maybe this isn't the direction you are looking to go or not what you want but why not just cerakote, KG gun-kote or moly resin coat it? There are several shops in the area that do those coatings. I can't remember his name on here but he owns BXC coatings in everett and does great cerakote work (a friend of mine had him do several of his guns and they still look great 5ish years later), so he might be worth calling. I have several guns that are Moly Resin coated and all of the R&D guns we built early on had no anodizing, just Moly Resin coating and we have had absolutely no corrosion, oxidation or wear issues with them. As long as aluminum is sealed off from the atmosphere, it really doesn't do anything or have any problems. If you went down that road, you wouldn't have to deal with the issues that come with shipping a receiver that doesn't have any markings or if you scheduled it ahead of time, they might be able to do it while you waited and they wouldn't have to deal with logging it in the bound book.

Life isn't about the money you make, the car you drive, the house you live in or being the CEO of a company. Life is about enjoying each day, experiencing everything the world has to offer you and when the day comes, standing at your makers door fully satisfied with what you did with the little bit of sand that was put in your hourglass.

Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LoveThySpatula wrote:
2) I found a guy that works out of Texas (Company is HRW) and has a solid presence on AR15.com under the username "Elucidate", real name Dave.
Spoke to him through email - super nice and informative guy, I chose his company to do my M16 receiver set in an anodized XM grey. Not sure if it is Type III but I don't care at this point. I hear he does other retro colors as well.

I'm interested too, i have a early 70's A1 upper to match. Any contact info? I'm not on Arf.com

Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:14 pm

The mad scientist wrote:
Maybe this isn't the direction you are looking to go or not what you want but why not just cerakote, KG gun-kote or moly resin coat it? There are several shops in the area that do those coatings. I can't remember his name on here but he owns BXC coatings in everett and does great cerakote work (a friend of mine had him do several of his guns and they still look great 5ish years later), so he might be worth calling. I have several guns that are Moly Resin coated and all of the R&D guns we built early on had no anodizing, just Moly Resin coating and we have had absolutely no corrosion, oxidation or wear issues with them. As long as aluminum is sealed off from the atmosphere, it really doesn't do anything or have any problems. If you went down that road, you wouldn't have to deal with the issues that come with shipping a receiver that doesn't have any markings or if you scheduled it ahead of time, they might be able to do it while you waited and they wouldn't have to deal with logging it in the bound book.

Just wanted this A1 build to be a little more accurate to the original Colt. I've read it is hard to accurately produce a Colt grey with cerakote. True or not? Dunno. Just wanted to play it safe with this one.

My future builds will more than likely all be cerakote.

Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:17 pm

shaggy wrote:
LoveThySpatula wrote:

I'm interested too, i have a early 70's A1 upper to match. Any contact info? I'm not on Arf.com

PM inbound.

Edit: Some of the work he has done can be found here.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/The-B ... 48/?page=2

Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:18 pm

From what i've been told as well, it's hard to color match that colt color with cerakote. Moly Resin has two different grey's and a black-grey to match the old colt's, so it might be worth looking into if you can't come up with an anodizer that can get it done but anodizing is always a better and more accurate option for the retro builds.

Life isn't about the money you make, the car you drive, the house you live in or being the CEO of a company. Life is about enjoying each day, experiencing everything the world has to offer you and when the day comes, standing at your makers door fully satisfied with what you did with the little bit of sand that was put in your hourglass.

Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We use Apex anodizing down in Portland and have good results. I've not done firearm stuff with them but they do have a small minimum order and quality is good. Might be worth a call.
http://apexanodizing.com/

Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:41 am

I'll shoot them an email, thanks!

Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next