Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Keeping public lands open for shooting 

I was up in the Mt. Baker Snoqualmie National Forest this past weekend for a great day of plinking. Part way thru the day a couple of Forest Service employees pulled up. We talked for a bit and they thanked me for having a tarp to collect my shells and for shooting at steel targets instead of glass or other trash items. They commented how they both support shooting but that it is hard to keep the lands open when they find trash and shell casing laying all over the ground not to mention the destruction to habitat when people shoot at trees, signs etc.

This got me to wondering what if anything can be done to better educate/police our follow shooters before we all lose the right to shoot on even more public land. I really do not understand why someone would purposely leave trash and shell casing all over the ground particularly when it is not hard to clean them up.

Do you think if there was a box of tarps available at popular shooting sites that people would use them to catch their shells? Is there any sort of volunteer program with the forest service where maybe a couple of people could be on-site and ask others to clean up after themselves? I think the clean up efforts this group does are amazing but I think it would be even better if we could prevent the mess in the first place.

I realize I am probably preaching to the choir in this group but I thought I would just put out there for discussion.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

State and DNR land is all closed to shooting right now due to fire danger, they didn't say anything about that?? :popcorn:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sadly, potheads whos homes are not much different from places they leave behind, will not appreciate your effort.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I generally avoid giving advice or help to armed idiots.

One time, out at Greenwater, we were shooting next to a couple young guys throwing up full cans of Keystone and blasting them, skeet style, with a pump 12g. After about 10 shots, the action jammed and they asked if we could help.

"Nope."

Why would I help you when you're acting like a shithead?

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ruger_fan wrote:
I was up in the Mt. Baker Snoqualmie National Forest this past weekend for a great day of plinking. Part way thru the day a couple of Forest Service employees pulled up.

usrifle wrote:
State and DNR land is all closed to shooting right now due to fire danger, they didn't say anything about that?? :popcorn:

Because its the National Forest?

Ruger_fan wrote:
Do you think if there was a box of tarps available at popular shooting sites that people would use them to catch their shells? Is there any sort of volunteer program with the forest service where maybe a couple of people could be on-site and ask others to clean up after themselves? I think the clean up efforts this group does are amazing but I think it would be even better if we could prevent the mess in the first place.

Sadly, I'm guessing the tarps would end up full of holes.

There are lots of great discussions and education efforts, I'm just not sure we can fix the few dirtbags that dont give a shit and screw the rest of us.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

surevaliance wrote:
Sadly, potheads whos homes are not much different from places they leave behind, will not appreciate your effort.

Yeah, you just explained the whole problem clearly and succinctly.
:bonghit:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
surevaliance wrote:

Yeah, you just explained the whole problem clearly and succinctly.
:bonghit:

Agreed...

Dude has been here less than two weeks and every post is negative....getting old already, bruh...

Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hkcavalier wrote:
I generally avoid giving advice or help to armed idiots.

One time, out at Greenwater, we were shooting next to a couple young guys throwing up full cans of Keystone and blasting them, skeet style, with a pump 12g.

Nobody likes keystone

Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The clean-up days are posted in "Other Events" https://www.waguns.org/viewforum.php?f=60

Looks like the most recent one was in Greenwater last month, I don't see any plans posted for the next one yet.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:10 pm

I found a group (http://www.trashnoland.org/) that seem to share the same concerns about keeping public land open for shooting. I am thinking the best bet might be to reach out and become active with an already established group. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:23 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ruger_fan wrote:
I found a group (http://www.trashnoland.org/) that seem to share the same concerns about keeping public land open for shooting. I am thinking the best bet might be to reach out and become active with an already established group. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Bill is good people, and he posts here regularly:
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10537

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:40 am

beckdw wrote:
Ruger_fan wrote:
I was up in the Mt. Baker Snoqualmie National Forest this past weekend for a great day of plinking. Part way thru the day a couple of Forest Service employees pulled up.

usrifle wrote:

Because its the National Forest?

I couldn't find any shooting restrictions for Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest on the Forest Service site. There is for Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest do to Fire Restriction Stage 2.

Discharging firearms (except while engaged in a lawful hunt pursuant to state, federal or tribal laws and regulations).
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/a ... ev3_053600

“Those that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
-Benjamin Franklin

Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]