Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 How to clean your chamber 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is your preferred method to clean the chamber of your rifles?

I normally just use a toothbrush/q-tips, but I'm wondering what other people do.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:11 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Every once in a blue moon, I'll pull a Boresnake through a couple of times.

One day before every Halley's comet, I'll use a brush for the barrel. For the chamber, if it's an AR then I'll use an AR chamber brush. If it's not, I won't. I will occasionally jam a long Q-tip in there if I'm doing something that involves corrosive ammo.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you shoot a lot of steel case lacquer 7.62x39 and 7.62x54, it helps to chuck up a short length of cleaning rod screwed into a brass cleaning brush sized up from chamber diameter about 10-20%.

Soak the chamber in Hoppes for at least an hour, keeping it wet.

Pull the bolt, and run the drill to ream out all the carboned up melted lacquer and crap baked on to the chamber walls.

In and out, in and out, just pretend you are doing your girl proud for about 15 minutes.

Chamber will be clean as a whistle, and sticky bolt will be a thing of the past.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

One day before every Halley's comet, I'll use a brush for the barrel. For the chamber, if it's an AR then I'll use an AR chamber brush. If it's not, I won't. I will occasionally jam a long Q-tip in there if I'm doing something that involves corrosive ammo.

You think a boresnake cleans the chamber? I thought it just cleaned the bore...

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's my take. The mouth of the cartridge case expands under pressure and obturates against the forward walls of the chamber. This should effectively seal the chamber at the case mouth thereby prevent carbonization or powder fouling in most of the chamber behind the case mouth. So that leaves the portion of the chamber between the case mouth and the start of the rifling.

In any case an oversize brush should be needed for the chamber. To be honest I don't really worry about this on my XP-100 or T/C centerfire barrels. Though my approach is to be more concerned with carbon fouling than copper deposits in the area of the chamber. Try something like BoreTech C4 Carbon Remover swabbed in to soak then followed by brass brush. After that I would follow with general barrel cleaning use a foaming bore scrubber like Sharp Shoot R Wipe Out to remove copper fouling.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GeekWithGuns wrote:
Here's my take. The mouth of the cartridge case expands under pressure and obturates against the forward walls of the chamber. This should effectively seal the chamber at the case mouth thereby prevent carbonization or powder fouling in most of the chamber behind the case mouth. So that leaves the portion of the chamber between the case mouth and the start of the rifling.

In any case an oversize brush should be needed for the chamber. To be honest I don't really worry about this on my XP-100 or T/C centerfire barrels. Though my approach is to be more concerned with carbon fouling than copper deposits in the area of the chamber. Try something like BoreTech C4 Carbon Remover swabbed in to soak then followed by brass brush. After that I would follow with general barrel cleaning use a foaming bore scrubber like Sharp Shoot R Wipe Out to remove copper fouling.

The only fouling that occurs in my bolt action rifles is ahead of the shoulder. Depending on the load, some gas laden with soot will leak back from the neck. Ideally no farther back than half the neck. The big issue with "chamber fouling" (other than just dirt and dust from the environment) is the buildup of carbon you get in the last .020" or so of the neck area before the 2nd shoulder where the freebore begins. Factory chambers can get a lot of carbon buildup in this area, especially if one is always trimming cases to the recommended length. Only need about .010" for the case to safely expand forward. Best bet to avoid this is to measure the total length of the chamber using either a Sinclair "Plug" or putting some scratch concealing crayon on the side of the bullet just ahead of the case mouth, chambering, removing, then using a caliper to measure to the ridge that will be clearly formed in the wax by the second shoulder. Subtract .010" from that and don't trim below that length. Might have to trim after every firing but it helps keep the carbon out.

Cleaning a chamber, especially the neck area isn't bad if you just soak a large patch with a good bore cleaner and stuff it into the neck area of the chamber. Keep the patch wet by dribbling a few drops down the barrel from time to time. Leave the rifle sitting while you mow the lawn, wash the car/truck, read a book, have a nap, or other stuff. After 5-6 hours remove the patch then with a larger caliber brush that fits the neck area nice and tight (I like .357 brushes for a .308 chamber neck), rotate it in the chamber's neck area by hand for a few minutes. Then start patching it out.

I have the advantage of owning a Borecam so I look inside this area and if I see any carbon remaining i use a piece of drill rod that I've ground the end nice and square on. Edges make for nice scraping surface and I just scrape off whatever remains, checking with the cameral periodically.

If you want to clean a bore AND chamber real well, buy a chamber plug from Sinclair. It's a stubby plug that has an extractor ring on it and a couple of O-Rings. One plug for .308 will also plug a 30-06, 6.5 Creedmoor, and any other chamber that uses a similar sized case head.
With the plug in place then pour your favorite (Non Ammoniated) bore cleaner into the bore while the barrel is vertical. Park the rifle in a corner for 24 hours or more. Top off the bore cleaner to make up for evaporation. When you think all the fouling has been softened or dissolved, pour out the bore cleaner, attack the barrel with a bore brush and then patch it out. THAT will get it clean for sure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:50 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

snozzberries wrote:
MadPick wrote:

Well, yeah. But I figure that it rubs against the sides of the chamber here and there. :bigsmile:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:

I just call the chambermaid. :facepalm2:

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
Quote:

What's in her left hand?

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
...a larger caliber brush that fits the neck area nice and tight (I like .357 brushes for a .308 chamber neck), rotate it in the chamber's neck area by hand for a few minutes. Then start patching it out.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I don't have a .357 brush, and the .45 brush was definitely too large. I used a couple patches on my pistol rod and I think I did okay.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:50 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

snozzberries wrote:
AR15L wrote:
Quote:

What's in her left hand?

The fuzzy brush that cleans your chamber...Duh!

And.... don't go saying you wouldn't let her do it.

:bigsmile:

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like her butt-puff. and yeah... she could.

My M1A has a ratcheting chamber brush. I give that about fifty spins (probably equates to 15-20 rotations since I can only rotate the actuator about 1/3 of a turn each stroke. Once it's been brushed, then a small cloth is wrapped around the brush and I wipe the inside with it again. (It's a bitch to pull the thing back out)

Curious: What gun are you cleaning? Usually there are chamber brushes offered, no?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
Curious: What gun are you cleaning? Usually there are chamber brushes offered, no?

Cleaning my Rem 700 .308.

I finally bought reloading gear, so decided to measure the chamber, figured I'd clean it fully first, remove all the copper etc to get a good measurement. Start over "fresh". After all the cleaning, there was something (somethings) in the chamber scratching my brass up on the body of the shell, right behind the neck. So realized instead of just cleaning the bore, I need to clean the chamber too.

It occurs at either 4 or 5 spots on the casing. I think I've got them removed now with just the patches on an eyelet jag.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everybody making everything so complicated. Lock bolt to the rear, and pull a hopps soaked bore snake through a few times, and call it good.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
snozzberries wrote:
MadPick wrote:

Well, yeah. But I figure that it rubs against the sides of the chamber here and there. :bigsmile:

Sounds like my dick.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next