Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 West Coast Armory FFL transfer high cost $50++++ 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sinus211 wrote:
leadcounsel wrote:
At 15 minutes of "work" that's a $400 hourly rate at $50 for 15 minutes.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Stick to law, maybe leave the math to others...

All right, that was pretty good.... :rofl9:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
leadcounsel wrote:

Sorry, was typing fast, went back and edited it after I submitted. The fact remains, penalizing customers is bad business.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:16 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree with dreadi that processing transfers costs real money, and I don’t begrudge transfer fees. Up to a point. I think it’s also a benefit to the shop to have you come through the door, so hopefully you’ll become a purchasing customer.

Some shops clearly don’t WANT to do transfers. They signal that either by an outright “no transfers” policy, outrageous fees, or transfer policies that aren’t worth the effort to customers. *shrug* Jist take your transfers to a place that wants them.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:21 pm

West Coast Armory in Factoria is far from an elitist yuppie gun store. Sure they have expensive stuff but they don't care what you're wearing. I bought three nice guns in there wearing overalls and Jeremy was extremely friendly and professional.

I-5 Guns in Lacey had a similar policy and nobody seems to be dogging them. Confusing.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:24 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Your experience has been as a customer so I’ll agree that yours differs.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:26 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

leadcounsel wrote:
sinus211 wrote:
leadcounsel wrote:

Sorry, was typing fast, went back and edited it after I submitted. The fact remains, penalizing customers is bad business.

Mmmkay bud. Here's the timeline:

-You posted at 7:05pm
-I made the joke about your faulty math at 7:07pm
-You edited your post at 7:15pm
-You posted at 7:16pm "Sorry, was typing fast, went back and edited it after I submitted."

Lol, yeah right. You edited your post after you read my comment not "went back and edited after I submitted"

Leave it to the lawyer to never admit when he was wrong :ROFLMAO:

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some people are never wrong...

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:34 pm

I hate to be that guy, but I’ll be the odd man out that I’m sure both sides will be irritated with.

We love being able to do transfers and have never once changed our prices. Up or down. Nor had any crazy fees added on.

They take a matter of minutes, and it’s a nice few minutes away from smithing, coating, or selling. $20 per isn’t going to line anyone’s pockets, but as our customers know, we do this for fun and love of the industry. So we enjoy being to help out and not break the bank.

ETA: That all said, perhaps our process is different than others. I can only speak for my views on my experiences.

P: (360) 972-2955

Certified Cerakote Applicator
Custom Firearm builds
Firearm Sales/Special Orders
Ammo/parts Sales

Last edited by Mike_P on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
dreadi wrote:
Anyone griping about the cost of transfers needs to get a clue. Here’s one for free.

It costs money to do business and to pay people enough of a wage that keeps them employed and happy about what they make.

It takes time to have an employee receive and log your purchase. Go over paper work with you. Submit your paper work. Give your item and log it back out. If it takes 30 minutes to do it all, that’s $100/hr. If your business takes an hour, now it’s $50/hr. If you get delayed, we’ll guess what. Now they make less per hour.

Bellevue is already a higher cost market and their prices reflect that.

Do your research before you commission a service.

I respect your opinion, but my experience differs.

I don't think it takes 30 minutes to receive and log a gun and do a transfer. Even if it does, that hourly rate is not reasonable. In my fairly significant transfer experience, it's never taken more than 10 or maybe 15 minutes of employee time (not factoring my time in completing the paperwork). The employee looks it over (1 minute), gets IDs, photocopies, logs in books, and processes it online (maybe 5 minutes of time). At 10 minutes of "work" that's a $600 hourly rate at $50 for 10 minutes. Or $200 at $50 for 15 minutes.

BTW a transfer requires no inventory purchase/holding costs and it is 100% profit margin. FFL often handles the gun for 1 minute and at most holds it for a day or two. No money invested in the product.

I get it that an FFL is an inconvenient and sorta expensive license. Most professions have similar. As an attorney with a QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS invested in my law license, I don't even charge close to $600 hourly. My hourly rate is generally between $200 (standard legal stuff) up to $300 when I have to go perform at court/hearings with massive stress and preparation involved.

As for a gun store overhead, all businesses have overhead. It just varies. But gun store employees aren't making $50 or $100 or more an hour. If they are I'm in the wrong business. You're telling me that a paper processing job with a inexpensive license should warrant a $100-$600 hourly rate, just because they have customers by the balls so they can gouge them...? No way.

If an FFL had constant foot traffic and did a transfer every 15 minutes for 10 hours every day, at $15 hourly fee, that FFL would have zero inventory overhead. 1 person could do it. And the salary would look like this:
$15 every 15 minutes
$60 hourly
$600 daily
$3000 over a 5 day work week
$156,000 annually.

For a job that someone doesn't need any special significant education, and a tiny license fee, that's a DAMN good salary. Even if you cut that figure in half. So $15, for 15 minutes of employee time, that is 100% profit margin, is a damn good salary.

Now, having said that, I can see where a FFL might be justified in charging a fee for storage over a few days, or a fee for a delay, etc. That adds a lot of work. But a penalty because the customer didn't alert them, or a penalty because they can get it cheaper!? That would be the first and last time I'd do business there. I'd probably tell them to kick rocks and send the pistol back.

Your math is still wrong :ROFLMAO:

Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
leadcounsel wrote:
sinus211 wrote:
leadcounsel wrote:

Mmmkay bud. Here's the timeline:

-You posted at 7:05pm
-I made the joke about your faulty math at 7:07pm
-You edited your post at 7:15pm
-You posted at 7:16pm "Sorry, was typing fast, went back and edited it after I submitted."

Lol, yeah right. You edited your post after you read my comment not "went back and edited after I submitted"

Leave it to the lawyer to never admit when he was wrong :ROFLMAO:

Eh, I had hit edit, to re-read what I wrote, and got up from my desk for a bit (if you must know, I went to the latrine, got some water, and let my dogs outside). I re-read what I had written, saw some errors, and amended them.

If you wanna be a dick, you can PM me. Probably gonna be easier to reach me that way since I'll be adding you to the ignore list. Zero reason for you to be hounding me the way you do. Grow up.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:12 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Come on LC, roll with it. Admit that it’s kinda funny with the math thing, have a chuckle at your own expense. It’s all good.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Duke EB wrote:
leadcounsel wrote:
dreadi wrote:
Anyone griping about the cost of transfers needs to get a clue. Here’s one for free.

It costs money to do business and to pay people enough of a wage that keeps them employed and happy about what they make.

It takes time to have an employee receive and log your purchase. Go over paper work with you. Submit your paper work. Give your item and log it back out. If it takes 30 minutes to do it all, that’s $100/hr. If your business takes an hour, now it’s $50/hr. If you get delayed, we’ll guess what. Now they make less per hour.

Bellevue is already a higher cost market and their prices reflect that.

Do your research before you commission a service.

I respect your opinion, but my experience differs.

I don't think it takes 30 minutes to receive and log a gun and do a transfer. Even if it does, that hourly rate is not reasonable. In my fairly significant transfer experience, it's never taken more than 10 or maybe 15 minutes of employee time (not factoring my time in completing the paperwork). The employee looks it over (1 minute), gets IDs, photocopies, logs in books, and processes it online (maybe 5 minutes of time). At 10 minutes of "work" that's a $600 hourly rate at $50 for 10 minutes. Or $200 at $50 for 15 minutes.

BTW a transfer requires no inventory purchase/holding costs and it is 100% profit margin. FFL often handles the gun for 1 minute and at most holds it for a day or two. No money invested in the product.

I get it that an FFL is an inconvenient and sorta expensive license. Most professions have similar. As an attorney with a QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS invested in my law license, I don't even charge close to $600 hourly. My hourly rate is generally between $200 (standard legal stuff) up to $300 when I have to go perform at court/hearings with massive stress and preparation involved.

As for a gun store overhead, all businesses have overhead. It just varies. But gun store employees aren't making $50 or $100 or more an hour. If they are I'm in the wrong business. You're telling me that a paper processing job with a inexpensive license should warrant a $100-$600 hourly rate, just because they have customers by the balls so they can gouge them...? No way.

If an FFL had constant foot traffic and did a transfer every 15 minutes for 10 hours every day, at $15 hourly fee, that FFL would have zero inventory overhead. 1 person could do it. And the salary would look like this:
$15 every 15 minutes
$60 hourly
$600 daily
$3000 over a 5 day work week
$156,000 annually.

For a job that someone doesn't need any special significant education, and a tiny license fee, that's a DAMN good salary. Even if you cut that figure in half. So $15, for 15 minutes of employee time, that is 100% profit margin, is a damn good salary.

Now, having said that, I can see where a FFL might be justified in charging a fee for storage over a few days, or a fee for a delay, etc. That adds a lot of work. But a penalty because the customer didn't alert them, or a penalty because they can get it cheaper!? That would be the first and last time I'd do business there. I'd probably tell them to kick rocks and send the pistol back.

Your math is still wrong :ROFLMAO:

Perhaps it is! I nun to guud at addin apparently. :whatthe:

Anyway, the fact remains... $10 or $15 is reasonable to run a BCG thru a system. $50 is not. North of $50 or punishing a customer is poor business practice. I didn't realize this was a math test when I started posting here.

Some of ya'll have very little internet courtesy.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Come on LC, roll with it. Admit that it’s kinda funny with the math thing, have a chuckle at your own expense. It’s all good.

No problems being poked at for my apparent poor math... perhaps a few beers influences adding!

Sinus wants to call me a liar, we have issues.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:16 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Why don’t we all send our invoice to those who created 594. Hit them with a class action law suit.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sinus just posted that he’s really sorry and he wants to bear your children. If you didn’t have him on ignore, you’d have seen that. :bruce:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next