Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:48 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 shooting in skagit area? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a thought guys, we have fewer and fewer places to shoot in this area, and listing them online doesn't help us keep them open. I'm all for introducing a new guy to shooting areas, but would rather bring them along or at least keep the conversation private.

Not that we have something to hide, but too many of these places get overrun by shooters who just don't care enough to shoot carefully and not trash the place.
My 2 cents fwiw.

Fri May 12, 2017 5:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
Just a thought guys, we have fewer and fewer places to shoot in this area, and listing them online doesn't help us keep them open. I'm all for introducing a new guy to shooting areas, but would rather bring them along or at least keep the conversation private.

Not that we have something to hide, but too many of these places get overrun by shooters who just don't care enough to shoot carefully and not trash the place.
My 2 cents fwiw.

Best thing to do to keep shooting areas open and possibly get more opened up is to get involved in these cleanups. The more people who sign in on the volunteer sheets the more the DNR,Forest service, fish and game can see we're serious about our recreation and it also helps get them get grant money To keep these places open.

Last edited by MADrtcw on Thu May 18, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 15, 2017 9:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agree 100%, for the areas where we do cleanups. We don't do that (as a group) for most of these small areas though. I've often hauled off trash from my favorite shooting spots, only to find even more trash there next time.

Mon May 15, 2017 6:40 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Yondering wrote:
Agree 100%, for the areas where we do cleanups. We don't do that (as a group) for most of these small areas though. I've often hauled off trash from my favorite shooting spots, only to find even more trash there next time.

For every person here that asks about shooting spots, theres probably more than a hundred people who use that same spot that disrespect it.

Wed May 17, 2017 7:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

das_napeth wrote:
Yondering wrote:

For every person here that asks about shooting spots, theres probably more than a hundred people who use that same spot that disrespect it.

Certainly, so why advertise it's location online for even more of those people? It's not the people asking who are likely the problem, but there are thousands of others who read what is posted here. I see this topic isn't local to you; would you prefer to list your favorite local spot online? I'm not saying don't tell new shooters where to go, just keep the details in PM's or in person.

Wed May 17, 2017 7:24 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Yondering wrote:
das_napeth wrote:
Yondering wrote:

Certainly, so why advertise it's location online for even more of those people? It's not the people asking who are likely the problem, but there are thousands of others who read what is posted here. I see this topic isn't local to you; would you prefer to list your favorite local spot online? I'm not saying don't tell new shooters where to go, just keep the details in PM's or in person.

I shoot on private land except when Kyle cooks

Sat May 20, 2017 6:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to agree with Yondering. I live in skagit 10min away from medford pit and have been shooting there since i was 4. With the massive influx of people from the "south" coming my way to shoot that pit is only a hassle now. Its crowded, and trash gathers faster. Until the last few years there was never a gate closure, no monitoring by the sheriff, and no "rules" signs. Im not saying the mess is the fault of folks here, but when word got out online the place went to shit and i avoid it now. There are 20 or so places to shoot in skagit pits and now that the word is out on Potts rd online it will be a different place soon.

As brought up by Yondering, waguns members are NOT the only people reading these posts.

Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:46 am

MADrtcw wrote:
Best thing to do to keep shooting areas open and possibly get more opened up is to get involved in these cleanups. The more people who sign in on the volunteer sheets the more the DNR,Forest service, fish and game can see we're serious about our recreation and it also helps get them get grant money To keep these places open.

I'll try not to come off as too much of a jerk, but your statement is just battered shooter syndrome, and I've seen it echoed here and elsewhere enough that it's starting to irk me. DNR isn't going to take down the "NO SHOOTING" signs if the few leftover areas remain clean any more than Muslims are going to stop trying to kill everyone else if you just avoid calling them goat fuckers.

I hate arriving at a shooting spot and seeing beer cans, ammunition boxes, appliances, old targets, and a 10,000 sqft blanket of corroding brass as much as you probably do. I haul out what I can and I'm sure most of the people who post here do too, but keeping sites clean is NOT going to stop DNR from closing land. The vast majority of shooting prohibitions on DNR land have absolutely nothing to do with trash, safety, vandalism, or any other reason listed in the WAC which authorizes DNR to close land. They are closed because the decision makers in DNR are hard left, Alinsky-bama worshiping, anti-gun ideologues. For Christ's sake, the DNR's head is an unabashed SJW. They lack the power to change the US constitution or even the WAC, so since they can't take our guns away, they do everything they can to stop us from enjoying them.

If trash were the issue, DNR would gate roads with "NO DUMPING" signs, not "NO SHOOTING" signs. I've spoken with two different managers at DNR within the past year. Both told me the same story. They claimed that first the gates went up because people were dumping TVs and furniture and it was expensive to haul out, but after the gates went up people were still walking in to shoot, so the "NO SHOOTING" signs went up. How many TVs and couches are being carried in 5 miles on foot? How much trash is being left by someone with nothing but two hands and a daypack to transport it, and how hard is it to remove? If DNR was concerned about casings, they could collect and sell them to a recycler for a profit. Pits closed due to trash? Bullshit.

How many deaths, or even injuries, have there been from target shooting accidents in this state in the past 5, 10, or even 20 years? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I can't seem to find any reported incident anywhere, ever, of an innocent hiker accidentally walking across the firing line at a gravel pit. The only accidental shootings seem to be Elmer Fudds shooting at "deer" which after the fact bear a striking resemblance to someone's grandmother, or a dumbass firing his gun into the air to celebrate his sister giving birth to his son. Neither of those has anything to do with closing a gravel pit accessible only from a complex web of dirt roads 10 miles from the nearest man-made structure of any kind. Conversely, how many people are injured or killed each year involving mountain bikes, whether the riders themselves or innocent third parties? I would wager quite a few. I've had many near misses myself while hiking, nearly being run over by idiots whizzing around blind turns or just assholes barreling down trails at 20 mph. Pits closed for public safety? Bullshit.

I'm in King County, so the DNR closures that bother me are in the area between Carnation/Duvall and Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie Forest, and between highway 18 and Wenatchee Forest. If you think DNR is closing pits for safety or trash, find a pit or clearing on Google maps, then trace its access roads back to their gates and record the locations. Now call the DNR and ask them why those specific gates went up. Ask them for documentation of people who were accidentally shot at the pit. Ask them for documentation of public or private property which was shot in or from the pit. Ask them when and how much trash was hauled out. I bet you're going to get the same stammering nonsense that I received. It's all bullshit.

The DNR is waging war against gun owners in the only way it can. This should not be a surprise, and it's not going to get better by being extra nice and cordial. Wars aren't won by begging the enemy to be nice to you at a town hall meeting, they're won by beating the enemy into submission and putting him in chains until the end of his days. The only way things are going to change is if DNR is forced by a court to stop the unlawful closures. The law clearly states that target shooting is allowed on state land and clearly states the reasons why recreation can be limited or prohibited in specific areas. The reasons DNR has given do not hold water in all but very few locations. They're all social-political bullshit, and if a suit were fortunate enough to get in front of a non-activist judge, s/he would see that and the signs would come down.

I wish I had the time, energy, and money to file such a suit, but I do not. Short of uselessly bitching on the Internet, the fight left me decades ago. I just wish someone would take it up.

Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

anothername wrote:
MADrtcw wrote:

I'll try not to come off as too much of a jerk, but your statement is just battered shooter syndrome, and I've seen it echoed here and elsewhere enough that it's starting to irk me. DNR isn't going to take down the "NO SHOOTING" signs if the few leftover areas remain clean any more than Muslims are going to stop trying to kill everyone else if you just avoid calling them goat fuckers.

I hate arriving at a shooting spot and seeing beer cans, ammunition boxes, appliances, old targets, and a 10,000 sqft blanket of corroding brass as much as you probably do. I haul out what I can and I'm sure most of the people who post here do too, but keeping sites clean is NOT going to stop DNR from closing land. The vast majority of shooting prohibitions on DNR land have absolutely nothing to do with trash, safety, vandalism, or any other reason listed in the WAC which authorizes DNR to close land. They are closed because the decision makers in DNR are hard left, Alinsky-bama worshiping, anti-gun ideologues. For Christ's sake, the DNR's head is an unabashed SJW. They lack the power to change the US constitution or even the WAC, so since they can't take our guns away, they do everything they can to stop us from enjoying them.

If trash were the issue, DNR would gate roads with "NO DUMPING" signs, not "NO SHOOTING" signs. I've spoken with two different managers at DNR within the past year. Both told me the same story. They claimed that first the gates went up because people were dumping TVs and furniture and it was expensive to haul out, but after the gates went up people were still walking in to shoot, so the "NO SHOOTING" signs went up. How many TVs and couches are being carried in 5 miles on foot? How much trash is being left by someone with nothing but two hands and a daypack to transport it, and how hard is it to remove? If DNR was concerned about casings, they could collect and sell them to a recycler for a profit. Pits closed due to trash? Bullshit.

How many deaths, or even injuries, have there been from target shooting accidents in this state in the past 5, 10, or even 20 years? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but I can't seem to find any reported incident anywhere, ever, of an innocent hiker accidentally walking across the firing line at a gravel pit. The only accidental shootings seem to be Elmer Fudds shooting at "deer" which after the fact bear a striking resemblance to someone's grandmother, or a dumbass firing his gun into the air to celebrate his sister giving birth to his son. Neither of those has anything to do with closing a gravel pit accessible only from a complex web of dirt roads 10 miles from the nearest man-made structure of any kind. Conversely, how many people are injured or killed each year involving mountain bikes, whether the riders themselves or innocent third parties? I would wager quite a few. I've had many near misses myself while hiking, nearly being run over by idiots whizzing around blind turns or just assholes barreling down trails at 20 mph. Pits closed for public safety? Bullshit.

I'm in King County, so the DNR closures that bother me are in the area between Carnation/Duvall and Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie Forest, and between highway 18 and Wenatchee Forest. If you think DNR is closing pits for safety or trash, find a pit or clearing on Google maps, then trace its access roads back to their gates and record the locatiions. Now call the DNR and ask them why those specific gates went up. Ask them for documentation of people who were accidentally shot at the pit. Ask them for documentation of public or private property which was shot in or from the pit. Ask them when and how much trash was hauled out. I bet you're going to get the same stammering nonsense that I received. It's all bullshit.

The DNR is waging war against gun owners in the only way it can. This should not be a surprise, and it's not going to get better by being extra nice and cordial. Wars aren't won by begging the enemy to be nice to you at a town hall meeting, they're won by beating the enemy into submission and putting him in chains until the end of his days. The only way things are going to change is if DNR is forced by a court to stop the unlawful closures. The law clearly states that target shooting is allowed on state land and clearly states the reasons why recreation can be limited or prohibited in specific areas. The reasons DNR has given do not hold water in all but very few locations. They're all social-political bullshit, and if a suit were fortunate enough to get in front of a non-activist judge, s/he would see that and the signs would come down.

I wish I had the time, energy, and money to file such a suit, but I do not. Short of uselessly bitching on the Internet, the fight left me decades ago. I just wish someone would take it up.

Well I won't get into a debate about why areas get shut down etc; we both have different truths based on the info we have. I'm still fighting the good fight and will continue to do so. Join us at greenwater http://waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=83803&start=15 get to know some people from forum and talk to forest service yourself about recreational shooting. Also if you didn't already know here is what the DNR is doing so far with target shooting http://www.dnr.wa.gov/targetshooting get back into the fight!

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

anothername wrote:

They may not take the signs down, but they certainly might put more up in the few areas we have left. Plain and simple, advertising non-official shooting areas on line draws attention and gets places shut down. It's extremely naive to think otherwise.

We just had another local area shut down here since this thread started.

Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

anothername wrote:

I'll try not to come off as too much of a jerk,

Welcome to the forum! :thumbsup2:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
anothername wrote:

They may not take the signs down, but they certainly might put more up in the few areas we have left. Plain and simple, advertising non-official shooting areas on line draws attention and gets places shut down. It's extremely naive to think otherwise.

We just had another local area shut down here since this thread started.
what area was shut down ? Also it might be good to know their official reason as to why it was shut down.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome neighbor. These guys are a bad influence. Lol :AR15firing:

Divided we fall.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OhShoot! wrote:
Welcome neighbor. These guys are a bad influence. Lol :AR15firing:

Hopefully our bad influence will get him into the game instead of on the sidelines. The game is changing in this state and we need more players on our side.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2