Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:02 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Range report, Brownells BRN9 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I took my newly acquired Brownells BRN9 to the range this morning for its first shots. I fired three rounds and noticed the forward charging handle laying at an angle where it should be straight out the side. The charging handle slide broken in half, this is a non reciprocating part. After disassembly, it appears this is a 3D printed part. I could be wrong just judging by the lines in the plastic. Very jagged break so I don't think it's a flaw in the plastic I think it's a strength issue. I will be calling Brownells first thing in the morning hopefully getting a new part, we shall see. There's enough pieces left over that I could feasibly have a part recreated in aluminum, not sure how much that would cost. Cool design, but the use of lightweight weak plastic detracts from any value in it. I'll update you all after I talk to Brownells.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:22 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow, that's disturbing.

Hopefully they take care of you, but I'd hang on to the broken bits for sure.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Wow, that's disturbing.

Hopefully they take care of you, but I'd hang on to the broken bits for sure.

Definitely hanging on to the broken part. I have a feeling Brownells will send me another plastic piece. Figuring out ideas on how to manufacture a replacement with aluminum or steel.

Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That doesn't look 3D printed to me, but anything is possible.

Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

scrid2000 wrote:
That doesn't look 3D printed to me, but anything is possible.

Just an assumption on my part. I've never 3D printed anything but the presence of horizontal lines in the sides ( my pics do not reflect that ) just looks like the 3D printed stuff I've seen from friends projects. Either way it's extremely lightweight and weak. I think it should be made out of Lego plastic, that s*** seems indestructible.

Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Replacement part being overnighted to me from the manufacturer. Brownells offered me a full refund but I did not want that. They put me in contact with the manufacturer who was sending me the part. Will do an updated range report once it is back together. Lame situation but great customer service so far.

Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:54 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh hell yes. That's great news.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have way to send me dimensions of the part, or the part, I will make you on in whatever you want.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Replacement part came in and was finally able to get some worthwhile range time. With a dedicated Glock pattern lower it ran flawlessly. With a 5.5" barrel it held excellent accuracy ( for what it is ) at 25 yards. From the bench ( rested and bagged ) it blew out one big ragged hole, maybe 2" circle with 17 rounds. 2 hand supported with an Eotech I kept them all in a 6" circle. The only issue I had was with a standard AR lower with a mag adapter. It would randomly lock the bolt back. Not an issue with the BRN9 upper, its a fine tuning issue with the placement of the mag adapter I believe. There is a lever in the adapter that presses upwards on an empty mag, it randomly presses upwards while firing. So back to the drawing board.

The new part supplied by Matador Arms ( Brownells manaufacturer ) appears to be the same polymer material but totally solid other than the hole for the charging handle. I have not abused it yet, rapid fire, bump, etc. AN unfortunate event for a new purchase but everyone has stepped up to make it right.

Oh, it it runs great suppressed or not.

Mon May 08, 2023 6:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]