Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 2053 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 137  Next
 Smoker thread? Smoker thread. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cmica wrote:
codfather wrote:
When I want smoked food like ribs,pulled pork,brisket,chicken and I don't feel like pulling out the smoker I go to a BBQ truck in Yelm called Steele Barrel BBQ. I don't do BBQ places because they just are not that good but this place is good.....they even have cinnamon rolls and pulled pork tacos.

GOD damn $17. -12. clams for a sammach

If your talking about his burrito that thing is huge....I eat half at breakfast and half at lunch

Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:43 am

My neighbor was on my case to get the two 'emergency' chickens out of his freezer that have been in there for 5-6-++ months, so they got smoked yesterday !

Typical rub dry brine overnight.... smaller 5ish # birds - ~47 degrees out - pulled them out of the fridge bout an hour before hitting the smoker ----- I was guessing that they would cook up quicker than the usual 3-4 hours.... Got the smoker going (WSM) - birds on - everything going good..... bout an hour into the cook, for some reason the temp just crashed from 275 down to 230ish.... tried venting it more to get the temp up, but was only able to get 240-250ish out of it at best... OK - so be it - let it run. Damn birds ended up taking 4.25 hours to finish out!!!! I'm leaning to chalking it up to too much powder from the lump coal (I used half lump/half briquettes) that 'may' have been slightly damp from the rain recently and the fact that I used up some half burnt coals that were probably smothered by said dust once it turned to ash.

I was chatting with my other neighbor (he's a smoker too) telling him that I'm going to pick up some 8"dia plum logs today.... we got to talking about dirty smoke and he was asking me how much wood I use during a cook..... Hard to quantify when I'm using 3 types of wood --- I load some in in the beginning and I'm one of those that lives by "if theres no smoke coming out of the vent --- toss another chunk on". When I got done with the birds, I was thinking about how much wood I really used on the cook ---- it was quite a bit leaning to a lot!!! Birds turned out fantastic - so tasty - no complaints from the neighbors..... I tell you, I've been trying my best to get to the point of 'too much smoke' for a while now, but I just can't get there with the plum/cherry/apple combo that I always use !?!?!?! I'm sure all you pellet guys would be horrified by the amount of white smoke the WSM makes.... but damn, it NEVER seems to hurt the final flavor!!!! I'm thinking on the next ones I'll have to sneak a chunk or two of hickory in there to see if I can bump the smoke levels up a bit.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:34 am

So --- I went and picked up three plum logs the other day.... the guy emailed me back and said he found another hiding behind a bush that I could take if I wanted too.... I didn't 'need' it, but I figured if I was going to slab 3, I may as well slab 4.... the last one was a good 10-12" diameter! I was finding that its actually easier to slab the larger logs over the smaller 4-6" branches.

Got out the chainsaw and slabbed them up today --- I think I'm now pushing a solid 3 lifetime supplies of plum wood :wink05: :bigsmile: I would be so proud of myself if I ever make it thru this much wood :bow:

Attachment:
20230311_161115.jpg

Gotta love the color of some fresh cut plum!!!! I pity you guys that buy pellets in a bag... where's the fun in that?

Attachment:
20230311_162142.jpg

I figure these slabs should be ready to go ~Memorial Day for sure.... not that my supply of dry slabs is in running low...

Anyone with a coal or stick burner (or grill) that is passing thru Bothell/Canyon Park and wants to try some plum --- hit me up and I'll toss you a couple of slabs!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:47 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I tried something new today . . . .

I bought a prime packer brisket from Costco, 18.8 pounds. After separating the point and flat muscles and discarding the fat (already way too much tallow in the fridge...), I had 12.2 pounds:

^ That's the point muscle on the left, and the flat on the right cut into three strips.

I cut that center flat piece into two chunks, and put them both into a brine for corned beef, which I will then season and smoke to make pastrami. The other three pieces (point and two sides of the flat) I have curing to make beef bacon.

Here's where they all stand right now:

More to come, probably in a couple of weeks . . . yeah, I know I'll probably miss St. Paddy's Day.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:

Anyone with a coal or stick burner (or grill) that is passing thru Bothell/Canyon Park and wants to try some plum --- hit me up and I'll toss you a couple of slabs!

Nice score, congrats nice offer, too :cheers2:

Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

More to come, probably in a couple of weeks . . . yeah, I know I'll probably miss St. Paddy's Day.

In for the Corned Beef PIF…

:wink05:

J/k, nicely done! :thumbsup2:

Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

I bought a prime packer brisket from Costco, 18.8 pounds. After separating the point and flat muscles and discarding the fat (already way too much tallow in the fridge...), I had 12.2 pounds:

^ That's the point muscle on the left, and the flat on the right cut into three strips.

I cut that center flat piece into two chunks, and put them both into a brine for corned beef, which I will then season and smoke to make pastrami. The other three pieces (point and two sides of the flat) I have curing to make beef bacon.

Here's where they all stand right now:

Make burnt ends out of the point, you won't regret it. :bigsmile:

Nice job on the butchering, the point separating can be tricky. :thumbsup2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Someone attended YTU. Does your HOA know you're disecting innocent animals in your home? For cereal, nice butchery and way to handle the primal cuts. Not many people, even members here can handle that much meat like that.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:47 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

KeystoneCowboy wrote:
Someone attended YTU.

I'm getting close to a master's degree! :mulletslayer:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brisket...It's what guy's that really know how to make BBQ do. Chicken? Yeah, that's what it is.....Chicken. I don't care what kind of Wood you do, it's just "Chicken".

Pork Ribs and brisket, that's the benchmark for big boy BBQ. If you can do that well? Hats off to you. :thumbsup2:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ribs are on

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:51 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

MadPick wrote:
I cut that center flat piece into two chunks, and put them both into a brine for corned beef, which I will then season and smoke to make pastrami . . . More to come, probably in a couple of weeks . . . yeah, I know I'll probably miss St. Paddy's Day.

Well, today was the day for the pastrami, after brining the corned beef all week. I took it out of the brine this morning, soaked it in fresh water for about a half hour, then gave it a heavy layer of rub (2 parts black pepper, 1 part coriander, 1 part smoked paprika). Then onto the smoker it went, with the meat on the top shelf and a covered pan of water below them (it's a pellet grill, the heat comes from the bottom, the intent was to keep the bottom of the meat from burning).

^ That pic was actually taken a couple of hours into the cook. One of the issues that I had was that the rub stayed pretty dry; I kept spraying it down with water, but I couldn't get it to really adhere and make a proper bark. I wonder if this is because I didn't use a rub with salt, so liquid wasn't being pulled from the meat . . . ? I didn't use a typical "binder" either, but the meat was very, very wet when I applied the seasoning.

I started low for one hour to try to give it some smoke, and then it was pretty "hot and fast" for the rest of the cook. About 275 for a few hours, then I wrapped it in foil when the meat was 155-ish because I was worried about drying it out. I bumped the temp to 300, and it cooked pretty quickly at that point. Total cook time was about 7 hours, I think, to get it to 205-ish. Then I let it rest in the 170-degree oven until about an hour before dinner.

Here's the result:

Doesn't look TOO bad, eh? But it suffers from two issues:

1) The outer seasoning was way too much, too spicy. Maybe I just used too much. This isn't a show-stopper, but if you get a mouthful of bark your mouth will be singing for a few minutes.
2) The meat is too salty. I know that some recipes specify to soak the corned beef overnight to remove salt, but this doesn't really make sense to me -- if the salt level is right for corned beef, why isn't it right for pastrami? Maybe I'm missing something. Maybe that was my missing step here, or maybe I just used too much salt in the brine, I don't know.

As I side dish, I steamed some cabbage and carrots in the Instant Pot, then added some butter and spices . . . which is a little boring, but I thought it was actually quite good:

So, the solution? Chop up the pastrami and mix it with the veggies. It's kind of like making veggies with bacon in them, right? Here's my life for the next couple of days:

I've got a lot more pastrami after that, though. I'm gonna need to buy more cabbage....

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm really liking those Pastrami, Cabbage and Carrot bowls, I'd be all over that. As far as the Bark heat, what do you think was the issue? The Paprika, or too much Pepper?

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:18 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

usrifle wrote:
As far as the Bark heat, what do you think was the issue? The Paprika, or too much Pepper?

I'm not sure . . . probably the pepper? But who knows. Regardless, I think simply using less would decrease the heat, and would also make the spices adhere better, so to me that's the solution.

BTW, that pastrami seasoning mix is from Meat Church: https://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipe ... mi-brisket.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

2) The meat is too salty. I know that some recipes specify to soak the corned beef overnight to remove salt, but this doesn't really make sense to me -- if the salt level is right for corned beef, why isn't it right for pastrami? Maybe I'm missing something.

Normally you would give corned beef a good rinse, so that might have helped here, too.

Cabbage Buddha Bowls?

Count me in! :thumbsup2:

Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2053 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 137  Next