Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:07 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 2056 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 138  Next
 Smoker thread? Smoker thread. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Meh, stick burn is still better. However, I'm gearing up for a huge brisket smoke in 2 weeks. With the Camp Chef my sleep schedule will double to what it normally is. Crank that CC to 10 on smoke no matter what!

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:43 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice, Damon. thumbsup

I really enjoy my pellet grills, but yeah, I can see that the kettle will continue to have a purpose if you choose to use it.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

olydemon wrote:
So I joined the Plugged into the wall smoker club today. Coastal farm and ranch was having a big weekend sale and they had the Camp Chef 24 on sale at $350 off. So for less than $500 OTD I joined the electric pellet team. I work with someone who has one of the other Camp Chef grills and really likes it. And did I mention it was $350 off (plus my oldest kicked in a hundred towards it). Now I need to start researching "How do I get more smoke flavor" and "Why wont my WiFi stay connected" ... haha. I really have been spinning my wheels wanting to get an electric controlled smoker for more unattended smokes. The kettles work well, but they do take a good amount of setup and baby sitting through a cook. I think I'll still fire the webers up for quick steak/chicken cooks, but the 4+ hour smokes I'm looking forward to some set it and forget it cooking. Will be easier also to have the kids running the grill during the day when I'm at work. I had them do a cook once on the kettle and they were sold on the idea of something a bit more hands off. I did a lot of research between the gravity charcoal types and a traditional pellet grill. The Masterbuilt grills had some pretty bad reviews on their electronics and overall build quality but they usually had great reviews for more"flavor". I'm sure in the end we will be pleased with the pellet flavor and smoke level. I go pick it up tomorrow from the store. I had to order online since the sale ended today.

Time to go back to the archives and start reading all those pellet suggestion posts.

Post a pic so we can see what controller you got.....did you get the sear box with it??

Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:57 pm

Got another cook in on the kettle last night.... more than just grilling A (one) burger.... Decided to throw half a flat of legs on it....

Attachment:
20220804_182344.jpg

Couldn't resist - had to throw a chunk of plum on there too..... GODDAMN..... they turned out REALLY GOOD!!! I am completely impressed with the flavors produced ---- just as good as the WSM! I obviously need to recalibrate my thinking/planning for doing hot and fast on the kettle.... I was really surprised at how much color they picked up in the first 20-30 minutes.... I was convinced that I had over cooked the hell out of them after ~ an hour on there at 350-375, but they turned out fantastic! Still need to work on getting the skin crispy, but at least it was really well cooked without being 'papery thin'. I can't wait to start playing with some thighs on it now....

I definitely need to figure out how to make an homemade vortex now.... flanking baskets don't leave much in the way of useable grill space.

Next meatloaf is DEFINITELY going on the kettle!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you need both baskets to run that temp for an hour??

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:44 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

JohnMBrowning wrote:
I definitely need to figure out how to make an homemade vortex now.... flanking baskets don't leave much in the way of useable grill space.

I see people om reddit make them out of stainless bowls by cutting the bottom off.

I also made a "poor n sear" with my baskets to push all the coals to the side and open up grill space.

Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:49 am
Profile WWW

usrifle wrote:
Do you need both baskets to run that temp for an hour??

I'm not really sure..... its only the second or third cook I've done other than burgers. The last time I tried 5 thighs I only used one basket and it turned out a bit under cooked --- probably more due to my inexperience with the kettle trying to 'keep' the temp ~350 instead of just letting it roll. I was using up some of the free lump coal that came with the grill.... knowing that the lump burns hotter and faster, I think I used more than I really needed to, but didn't know that in the beginning. I'll be trying again with a single basket with more coals and a double basket with less coals.... I don't see myself buying any lump myself when KBB seems just fine.

olydemon wrote:
JohnMBrowning wrote:

I see people om reddit make them out of stainless bowls by cutting the bottom off.

I also made a "poor n sear" with my baskets to push all the coals to the side and open up grill space.

That has been my plan, but I haven't run across one the right size or cheap enough yet - I keep popping into the thrift stores to see if I can score a deal. I'm gonna have to see what I can do with a cookie tin or popcorn tin for now.....

Yeah - now I'm thinking about just 'walling off' the coals with the baskets to the side.... but that makes it hard to use the gas starter :wink05: First world problems.

The baskets are really NEEDED for the lump --- damn - half of the small chunks would've just fallen thru the grate without them! I'll be sticking with briquettes.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried the Lump once, went right back to briquettes. Kingsford is my brand, good briquettes make a big difference. :thumbsup2:
You should be able to run just one basket and keep those temps just fine.
I just pile coals on one side of the Kettle for offset and smoking, you don't need many to keep in the 250 range and just add more as needed.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You don't need both baskets. I often use the kettle with a direct heat side and indirect side. If you have the Weber top grill with the flip up side grates (as pictured above), you can also add briquettes to the baskets to keep things cooking.

I wish technology solved people issues. It seems to just reveal them.

Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:44 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Until this weekend, I had only cooked one brisket and it didn't turn out all that great. I think I ended up using most of it in chili.

I attempted #2 this weekend. Unfortunately I missed the early Saturday closing at Costco (6:00, wtf!), so I ended up with a 16-pound Select brisket from Chef'Store. Got it home, trimmed it up, and ended up with a brisket, a bag of trimmings to grind later, and a pile of chopped-up fat to render down. The trimmings went into the freezer for another day, and the brisket and the fat went on the smoker last night about 8:00.

It kept it at 180 until about midnight, then 200 overnight, then this morning I wrapped it and jacked it up to 250. I wrapped it in butcher paper, and poured some of the melted fat onto it when I wrapped it.

The brisket was tender and in the 203-205 range about noon, so I pulled it off (still wrapped) and put it in my oven at 170. At the same time I poured the fat, which still had a lot of big chunks, through a colander. Then (and yes I had both cotton and nitrile gloves on, and it still was f'ing hot) I started squeezing the hell out of the fat, and the chunks popped and more of the liquid ran down into the bowl below. After doing that for a few minutes, I ended up with a bowl of smoked tallow and a bowl of solids (like cracklins, sorta?):

I'm not sure yet what I'll do with the solids; they taste okay. Maybe season them up and throw them in some scrambled eggs tomorrow, for a starter.

After about five hours resting in the 170-degree oven, I pulled the brisket out and left it, still wrapped, on the counter for about an hour. When it was time to eat it, it was about 138 degrees internal.

I poured some of the tallow from the wrapping paper over the top of it, and sliced it open:

I haven't eaten much brisket and I really don't know what it's "supposed" to taste like . . . but I tell ya, I have zero complaints about this! It was fall-apart tender, juicy, and very flavorful. Hell, even my gf who usually trash-talks all the meat that I cook was impressed, and came back for seconds!

BTW, the rub was a coating of LeRoy & Lewis Dalmation Rub (which is really just coarse salt and pepper) plus a layer of MSG. So, pretty simple really. Oh, and I cracked open the LeRoy & Lewis Beet BBQ Sauce, and that's some damned good stuff! I don't think I'd ever be able to tell you that it's made with beet juice, but it sure is spicy (not hot) and flavorful.

Good dinner. I'll do this again.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a beautiful brisket, and having been gifted a part of the point and flat I can say it was outstanding!
Moist, Beefy flavor and the point just melted in the mouth. :drool:
We just had a small sample as we were making Crab and steak for dinner, I will be all over the flat tomorrow for a lunch Sammy. :bigsmile:
My wife is a huge brisket fan, and she was not happy when I took it away from her so she didn't spoil her dinner.
She gave it two thumbs up, and got a little snappy when I did that. :ROFLMAO:
Well done Steve, thanks for making me have to step up my brisket game with her....bastard. :cussing:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Last edited by usrifle on Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WELL DONE stevve, nice smoke ring to it too

Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nicely Done, Steve! :thumbsup2:

:cheers2:

Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should see his food presentation too. He sent me that Pic of some Alaskan Halibut and Dungeness Crab he had for lunch today. I thought it was from some 4 star restaurant.
I throw the shit on a plate and call it good.
I'm so ghetto... :facepalm2:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:23 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

LOL . . . that crab and halibut was a donation from the House of Usrifle. Thank you. :bow:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2056 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 138  Next