Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Traveling to WA 

0v3rc10ck3d wrote:
Hello, I moved away from WA to Texas in September but still come back often to visit family. I’ve got a couple questions.

1. Is my WA state CPL still valid now that I live in Texas? It has not expired yet. I don’t have a Texas CPL as constitutional carry is legal here.

2. With the 10 round mag ban can I bring my Glock 19 with me? I purchased it and it’s 15 round mags while I lived in Washington. I would like to conceal carry this while I’m there. I will not be buying or selling my magazines. Only possessing. Are they “grandfathered” in?

Any insight or links would be great. I’m not finding a lot.

Thanks!

first to clarify something...have you obtained a TX DL and registered your vehicle in the lonestar state?

if yes, then you are no longer considered a resident of the evergreen state and your WA "resident' privilege permit is null and void.

consider obtaining a WA out of state privilege permit as well as a buckling down and obtain a TX privilege card to keep you out of possible judicial trouble in the anti state [read cya] e.g., signage carry the weight of law, no open carry w/o privilege permit, etc.

per handgunlaw.us, quote:
Handgunlaw.us highly recommends you read pages 19-21 of the US LawShield Synopsis Texas Permitless Carry law...unquote note: complete us lawshield cite is below:
[ https://cdn.brandfolder.io/5Z10RK5F/at/ ... igital.pdf ]

further, you should peruse handgunlaw.us which clarifies places off limits... https://handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf

as for transporting a large mag into the evergreen state...if you get stopped by the LEs...in the vastness and turmoil surrounding the new law charges...it is truly anybody's guess what might happen...lose your mag? or whole firearm is confiscated?

safe travels...

Critical thinking involves analysis, evaluation, inference [gathering credible/relevant/logical evidence], and of course reaching a viable and reasonable conclusion while improving one's own thinking regarding the information you have heard, read, as well as you might have witnessed.

Further, please remember Churchill's commentary: "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

as a nation we will overcome the travesty[ies] currently going on within our nation...

Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:

Fair enough. So when I gave my opinion was that any different?
You stated if I gave legal opinion I should really know the laws.
Since you are not in the field, was I wrong with my opinion?
Or was it just my opinion you don't agree with?

I've actually never directly quoted or responded to any of your post in any of the previous magazine law topics. I'm only addressing you now because you directly called me out on asking how I could possibly come to my conclusion of what the law says.

You are totally free to give your (non binding) opinion as far as a yes or no on whether you think this person can or cannot do. I don't really have a problem of you giving your opinion and I think the person posting should be free to take which ever one under advisement. Ultimately it is this person who will suffer the consequences of the law and not us if things go wrong and either of us are not correct in our opinion.

Now for your opinion, are you wrong? I am not a lawyer or a judge so I can't know for sure. All I have is my understanding of the law and legal process and ultimately give my reasoning and opinion why I think doing what the poster is suggesting could possibly go in a way they don't want it to.

You might be totally correct that after shooting a suspect in self defense the police look at the shooter mags and throw their hands up and say "Well, I guess we can't PROVE these came from out of state, so you are free to go." and it drops by the DA's office and they also throw their hands up and say the same thing, and we are all happy.

Or it could also go the other way as I described, but i think it's fair for the poster to know the possibilities and peoples opinion on the likelihood so they can make the best kind of informed decision they can about what risks they want to take.

You can have the last word, but I'm dropping it here because this shouldn't be about us, and it should be trying to help the poster make an informed decision.

Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:39 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

RocketScott wrote:
No mention of being a resident:

Quote:
(14) "Import" means to move, transport, or receive an item from a place outside the territorial limits of the state of Washington to a place inside the territorial limits of the state of Washington. "Import" does not mean situations where an individual possesses a large capacity magazine when departing from, and returning to, Washington state, so long as the individual is returning to Washington in possession of the same large capacity magazine the individual transported out of state.

So I read that to mean you can only bring in mags that you took out when you moved. Doesn't matter if you aren't a resident anymore, you're still 'an individual'

All right, I'm changing my position on this. RocketScott for the win, using the actual law. thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Speaking of actual laws...

I'm not so sure that becoming a resident of another state voids the WA CPL. WA will issue a CPL to a nonresident

Quote:
RCW 9.41.070
Concealed pistol license—Application—Fee—Renewal.
(13) A person may apply for a concealed pistol license:
(a) To the municipality or to the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in a municipality;
(b) To the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in an unincorporated area; or
(c) Anywhere in the state if the applicant is a nonresident.

If you don't have a WA DL or you haven't been a resident for 90 days the issuing agency has more time to process it:

Quote:
(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:58 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, I looked through the RCWs yesterday about the CPL . . . all I saw was a different application process for residents vs. non-residents.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I looked into this yesterday, and his CPL is still valid. Steve is correct for an out of state applicant, but since he possessed a valid WA CPL when he moved, it's still valid.
When it expires?
Then I believe he would need to reapply as an out of state permit holder.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:57 am

Where do you vote? You could have a Texas DL and still be registered to vote in Washington...in that case your Washington CPL would still be valid plus you could bring what ever gun and mag with you.

Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:11 am

from the OP in their second posting:

"And these are the reasons I’m now a Texan."

that means he fails to meet 9.41.070 (13) criteria,
(a) To the municipality or to the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in a municipality;
(b) To the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in an unincorporated area

the OP did not apply for nor was issued a non-resident permit, therefore since he no longer maintains his residency in the state, their current permit is void!

second of all why on earth does this individual need a WA state level privilege permit, especially since WA's permit isn't recognized, at all in 25 states, [not even OR accepts it for goodness sakes!] and two states only accept the 'resident' privilege permit. https://handgunlaw.us/states/washington.pdf

do not wish to take handgunlaw.us word, here is the WA AG's site: https://www.atg.wa.gov/concealed-pistol ... eciprocity.

RCW 46.20.001
License required—Rights and restriction.
(1) No person may drive a motor vehicle upon a highway in this state without first obtaining a valid driver's license issued to Washington residents under this chapter. The only exceptions to this requirement are those expressly allowed by RCW 46.20.025.
(2) A person licensed as a driver under this chapter:
(a) May exercise the privilege upon all highways in this state;
(b) May not be required by a political subdivision to obtain any other license to exercise the privilege; and
(c) May not have more than one valid driver's license at any time.

Texas Sec. 521.451. GENERAL VIOLATION. (a)
(4) possess more than one currently valid driver's license or more than one currently valid certificate;

remember the Federal REAL ID initiative is in affect throughout nation and states were mandated to change their licensing procedures to receive federal funds.

personally, wouldn't wanta go through the goat rope of playing twenty questions to LEs when they ping their nics/rms/etc databases while trying to validating the WA resident permit and find out there is no WA resident level DL attached to it, that's just my perspective.

Critical thinking involves analysis, evaluation, inference [gathering credible/relevant/logical evidence], and of course reaching a viable and reasonable conclusion while improving one's own thinking regarding the information you have heard, read, as well as you might have witnessed.

Further, please remember Churchill's commentary: "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

as a nation we will overcome the travesty[ies] currently going on within our nation...

Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is no difference between a Resident or non resident permit beyond the application/issuance time period.

There is actually no requirement to even change the address on your WA CPL until it expires.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

curiouscuz wrote:
personally, wouldn't wanta go through the goat rope of playing twenty questions to LEs when they ping their nics/rms/etc databases while trying to validating the WA resident permit and find out there is no WA resident level DL attached to it, that's just my perspective.

What is this 'resident' permit you speak of?

There's a WA CPL

The OP has one

Nothing I can find invalidates it by moving out of state

Nothing states that is has to be 'attached' to a WA DL

Nothing needs to be pinged to validate the CPL other than the WA DOL with the CPL license #

curiouscuz wrote:
that means he fails to meet 9.41.070 (13) criteria,
(b) To the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in an unincorporated area

the OP did not apply for nor was issued a non-resident permit, therefore since he no longer maintains his residency in the state, their current permit is void!

FALSE

COMPLETELY FALSE

He met the criteria when applying and received the permit

Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, and you aren't required to change your address on the CPL if you move until it expires or you renew.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:02 pm

bubblewhip wrote:
You explain to the police that "you are a former resident and that the magazine you have is originally from this state and that you are returning"
No, no no. You don't give your life story to the police (never talk to the police is the basic rule). Ok you have to tell the police: that's the bad buy, he attacked me, I feared for my life, those are the witnesses. I need medical assistance / need to go to the hospital. I'll make a full statement after I've consulted my attorney. Then shut up.

bubblewhip wrote:
You are obligated to turn that evidence over to the prosecution which proves your lack of guilt.
I think you may be confused about the whole presumption of innocence thing.

Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sound advice.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

gunblaster wrote:
bubblewhip wrote:
You explain to the police that "you are a former resident and that the magazine you have is originally from this state and that you are returning"
No, no no. You don't give your life story to the police (never talk to the police is the basic rule)*.

I wish more people understood this.

Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2