Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:25 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Had to put my dog down 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

stompah wrote:
Don't be sorry for sharing. We would all be doing the same in this situation.

Keep sharing those stories, I'm sure Mak would like that. Dogs are amazing. They can read our moods and know when we need a friend.
There is no better friend and companion than a good dog.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri May 13, 2022 12:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Loosing our furry best friends is tough, it leaves a hole in our soul so big you could drive a truck through it. While it’s never easy to put em down but it’s best for them to not suffer anymore. My condolences to you and your family. RIP Mak.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Fri May 13, 2022 12:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
“Now I am old. The fur around my muzzle is grey and my joints ache when we walk together. Yet she remains unchanged, her hair still glossy, her skin still fresh, her step still sprightly. Time doesn’t touch her and yet I love her still.”

“For generations, he has guarded over my family. Since the days of my great-great-great-great-great-grandfather he has kept us safe. For so long we thought him immortal. But now I see differently, for just as my fur grows gray and my joints grow stiff, so too do his. He did not take in my children, but gave them away to his. I will be the last that he cares for. My only hope is that I am able to last until his final moments. The death of one of his kind is so rare. The ending of a life so long is such a tragedy. He has seen so much, he knows so much. I know he takes comfort in my presence. I only wish that I will be able to give him this comfort until the end.”

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri May 13, 2022 2:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Quote:
“Now I am old. The fur around my muzzle is grey and my joints ache when we walk together. Yet she remains unchanged, her hair still glossy, her skin still fresh, her step still sprightly. Time doesn’t touch her and yet I love her still.”

“For generations, he has guarded over my family. Since the days of my great-great-great-great-great-grandfather he has kept us safe. For so long we thought him immortal. But now I see differently, for just as my fur grows gray and my joints grow stiff, so too do his. He did not take in my children, but gave them away to his. I will be the last that he cares for. My only hope is that I am able to last until his final moments. The death of one of his kind is so rare. The ending of a life so long is such a tragedy. He has seen so much, he knows so much. I know he takes comfort in my presence. I only wish that I will be able to give him this comfort until the end.”

it's really dusty in here

Fri May 13, 2022 2:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PW45 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
Quote:

I still cry when I think about Outta Be a Law-Naughty Nellie (Her AKC name). Nellie for short.

She was the sweetest dog, great duck hunter, and taken too early with a broken back after 11 years on earth. I had to leave the room when they crossed her over the rainbow bridge. Tearing up just typing this....

That little blue penguin she had beside her on her death bed she had had since she was a puppy. The only toy she didn't pull apart into smithereens!

Fri May 13, 2022 3:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PW45 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
Quote:

Friggin' allergies...

I wish technology solved people issues. It seems to just reveal them.

Fri May 13, 2022 3:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dogs are better friends then people. Haven't had one for years but hope to soon. Get to spend time with my sons dog every once in a while and realize how much I miss one. Just not practical right now

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Fri May 13, 2022 3:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is a hard thing, and I am sorry you are going through it.

Fri May 13, 2022 7:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm so sorry for your loss. We had to suffer through the loss of our big caucasian mountain dog last year. She could be stubborn and a pain sometimes, but still part of the family. Sweet with family and friends, fierce with strangers. I had tears in my eyes thinking about her for months. I feel your pain, and hope you find comfort in time.

Fri May 13, 2022 9:39 pm

XR650R,

My condolences on your loss. Worst feeling in the world as far as I’m concerned.
I’ve never seen an animal love life more than most dogs.

Regards,
SL

Fri May 13, 2022 10:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm so sorry. They are such a gift. While most animals have been forced to become domesticated, the fact that long ago wolves began to choose us and we coevolved to where we are is really special. Not to discount breeding along the way, but most people seem to have forgotten the nuance of that founding relationship. They seem to know us better than we can ever know ourselves, and offer the clearest mirror of truth and love if we are willing to recognize it.

We lost a pup this week too. Our 15 year old lab (Apollo) has been having increasing issues and I'd been preparing myself for the inevitable end, but out of the blue our 11 year old catahoula (Stone) collapsed after romping with our 2 year old shepherd/malamute (Huckleberry). It turns out he had a fast moving somewhat rare and untreatable cancer that causes massive internal bleeding.

I'm so glad that we have the others to help us through, but we are definitely feeling adrift between this and all the other shit in the world. Going back to my mirror comment, I've just been trying to think about how now is a more important time than any to aspire to that standard of compassion for my community as a person.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun May 15, 2022 9:47 am

I know your pain, and I don't wish it on anyone though it unfortunately comes with the package of all the joy they bring. I have come to the belief that God put them on this earth to prepare us for future care and loss of each other as humans.

Sun May 15, 2022 9:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have special love for the senior dogs.
I may start adopting them in the future just to give them lovely last months on earth. God is dog spelled backward.

Sun May 15, 2022 4:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It’s been 8 yrs since I had to put my boy G down.
Still hard to think about….
I need another dog for sure, miss the companionship and added level of security
But the thought of loss is almost too much!
I’ve only, ever, have done rescues. never paid for an animal.
And have had some of the most amazing pets you can imagine.
But shelters these days want big $$$

Sorry for you loss, I feel your pain

Sun May 15, 2022 5:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jeffro wrote:
It’s been 8 yrs since I had to put my boy G down.
Still hard to think about….
I need another dog for sure, miss the companionship and added level of security
But the thought of loss is almost too much!
I’ve only, ever, have done rescues. never paid for an animal.
And have had some of the most amazing pets you can imagine.
But shelters these days want big $$$

Sorry for you loss, I feel your pain

Sometimes getting another fur-buddy can be quite healing, and actually help with the loss.

It can turn sad memories to good ones.

So, instead of just remembering the sad time at the end, your new buddy will do something that makes you laugh, and say “Charlie used to do that, too!” :bigsmile: , or “Charlie used to love when we did this!”

It helps remind us of the good times.

And while some may think they’re betraying their buddy by getting another…just think, he’s finally got you trained to be a good pet poppa :thumbsup2:

Also, the high fees you mentioned, include a lot of things, like spay/neuter, deworming, vaccines, microchips, and a 30-day adoption trial.

Below is the info for your Camano Island Animal Shelter. For $150, you could get a pooch 7 months or older, with everything I mentioned, and more, plus you’d be supporting the shelter:

DOGS

PUPPIES
(6 mo & under)
$250+

ADULTS
(7 mo to 7 yrs)
$150

SENIORS
(8 yrs & over)
$70

CATS

KITTENS
(6 mo & under)
$100

ADULTS
(7 mo - 7 yrs)
$50

SENIORS
(8 yrs & over)
$25

DECLAWED
CATS
FREE

ADOPTION SPECIALS
2 KITTENS
(same day/home)
$150
SPECIAL
NEEDS
in pet's bio
5+ & 50+
CATS
*FREE
* People aged 50+ adopting cats aged 5+

Cat & Dog adoptions include:
Spay/Neuter
Basic age appropriate vaccines
Flea treatment & deworming
Free wellness exam at participating vet
Microchip Implantation
Post-adoption support (just a call or email away)
30 day pet insurance trial
* Dog adoptions do not include local dog licensing
* Every cat is tested for FeLV & FIV and negative unless otherwise stated for an individual cat.

https://www.camanoanimalshelter.com/index.html

Sun May 15, 2022 6:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next