Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Looking for some good hands-on AR learning 

Love the ability to customize and thinking I need to have an AR on my list, but I need to decide what I like and want. Is there a good shop for this, preferably south of Seattle but not further than Tacoma/Puyallup?

Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.rehvarms.com/

They are in Covington.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lots of places.

High end
Rainier Arms in Auburn

Mid-low end and high
Surplus ammo in Tacoma

Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:37 pm

Any of these good as a place to build my own?

Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The beauty of the mil-spec AR is the ability to put parts together and with some fine tweaking… have a fun toy.

They all sell parts and components. Hell you can get components online.

What exactly are you looking at doing?
Are you like wanting to buy parts and build it in the store?

Some places will have their gunsmith build you one (fee) but there isn’t a place where they have it setup where you pick parts and build it in the store. Or offer classes to do it.

There are some firearm classes that will focus on some aspects of gunsmithing an AR platform but not one where they help you put it together.

If you are considering building - it’s a bit pricey to buy all the tools to build one… if you are building a few it becomes better. But there are lots of tools one would need to buy. Basics - vice, upper blocks, AR tool, tools in general. Then researching head spacing and gas tube length, buffer weights etc etc etc.

The easiest is to build the lower and buy a complete upper. It’s low on tools needed and typically only takes you about 45 min for your first one. 20 min once you get the hang of it.

What’s your price point for the AR build?

As a benchmark buying a completed cheap AR is around $700. Lower with all components is around $150-$300 and upper can be around $350-$500

Then for more high end. A solid good trigger can run $100-$250 alone.

My $0.02 is to build the lower as a pistol and buy a completed upper. You can always put a brace on it or even go the SBR route and file for a tax stamp later (and then put a stock on it after you get stamp).

Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rainier arms is top notch and in Auburn.

Rehv is owned by a POS backstabbing scammer and I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. Have multiple stories and people who can attest to it and why.

Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:34 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

IRackNBack wrote:

Rehv is owned by a POS backstabbing scammer and I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. Have multiple stories and people who can attest to it and why.

Ouch! I've known Jody for years and consider him a friend. I'm sorry that was your experience, John. I've had NOTHING but great experiences there, though.

oldkim wrote:
The easiest is to build the lower and buy a complete upper. It’s low on tools needed and typically only takes you about 45 min for your first one. 20 min once you get the hang of it.

This. Build the lower, buy an upper. Palmetto State Armory sells decent uppers for a good price, will ship directly to you.

Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He doesn't have friends. He has people he can use for leverage to get what he wants and then discards them or screws them over any time it serves his purpose. At one point in my life I trusted him with more than I have with anyone outside of family. He's a snake and will not hesitate to take advantage of anyone he thinks is weaker than him.

DGM33 wrote:
IRackNBack wrote:

Ouch! I've known Jody for years and consider him a friend. I'm sorry that was your experience, John. I've had NOTHING but great experiences there, though.

oldkim wrote:

This. Build the lower, buy an upper. Palmetto State Armory sells decent uppers for a good price, will ship directly to you.

Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've built 4 AR's (2 pistols 5.56/300 BO, and 2 rifles 5.56/300 BO). At the time I got almost everything for about $300 + $100 if I put in a nice drop in trigger. Plenty of youtube videos that show you how to do everything.

Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hindsight and one who has acquired all the tools and skills…. Is a bit different from the guy starting from scratch.

Remember most folks are literally starting from scratch. We all started someplace and sometime.

Not having a vice or clamps means they need to buy those basic things that you may be taking for granted since you already have them.

Same goes for punches and drills and workspace.

But yes lots of good and bad info on YouTube.

Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree that building the lower out, then slapping on an upper that you bought already completed, is the easiest route (and probably the cheapest). But you'll only develop half of the building skills that way, and you'll make compromises on your upper that you will eventually decide to "correct" later. So I'm going to actually suggest going all the way and picking each part that you want, then putting it all together yourself. You'll know your rifle inside and out that way, and you'll have knowledge you can then share with others. I'd be happy to show you the ropes and provide the tools; it would be my way of paying forward the help that I received from others back when I was in your shoes.

Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:56 pm

Guns4Liberty wrote:
I agree that building the lower out, then slapping on an upper that you bought already completed, is the easiest route (and probably the cheapest). But you'll only develop half of the building skills that way, and you'll make compromises on your upper that you will eventually decide to "correct" later. So I'm going to actually suggest going all the way and picking each part that you want, then putting it all together yourself. You'll know your rifle inside and out that way, and you'll have knowledge you can then share with others. I'd be happy to show you the ropes and provide the tools; it would be my way of paying forward the help that I received from others back when I was in your shoes.

That's a generous offer. I might have to find a way to take you up on it eventually.

Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]