Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Reloading Lehigh defense 90gr 9mm? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have some all-copper LD eftm-xd bullets and wondering if anyone has experience loading these to share? Tx!

Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use them. They work well with hot loads and are fairly accurate.
Are you an experienced handloader, and know what to look for in terms of pressure signs and when to back off? You'll be a bit out on your own with these, since there isn't much data out there, and the data Lehigh had posted a few years ago was so anemic it wasn't worth trying.

There is a lot of misunderstanding out there about these bullets, depending who you talk to, and IMO some misleading statements in the marketing too, but they are an effective bullet and worth trying. They perform as a direct function of their velocity, so more is better, and with the light weight even a +P+ load is pretty manageable in rapid fire.

Underwood Ammo loads these, if you want a "factory" load to compare with. I bought some early on, and tore a few down to get an idea what the powder and charge was. Obviously identifying the powder exactly is difficult, but I'm pretty certain it's Autocomp, and the +P+ loads I disassembled contained 7.7gr of it. That's been a great load that runs ~1,550 fps from my G19 pistols and a little faster from the longer barrels.

I also like to use a very similar load of Silhouette at 1,525 fps. Accuracy with this load has been very good even at extended ranges. (I occasionally shoot it at 100 and 200 yards, although most here would not believe the results.)

Hope that helps.

Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey thanks! I don't have either of those powders so I'll have to experiment carefully. What COL did you go with?

Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Determine OAL based on what shoots well in your gun, but try to stay on the long side for that bullet.

There aren't many other powders that are able to achieve what those two can for a light bullet like this. Maybe Blue Dot. Be real careful using anything else, and don't assume you can get there with other powders.

Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks again! Found and ordered some silhouette, at a stupid price. . .

Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]