Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 I 594 concering parts 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Private party sale, I don't think so. But if you are getting it from a dealer then yes you have to go through the 4473 process. You can't get a stripped lower mailed to your house.

Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pvanderzee wrote:
robmill70 wrote:
So if I take the slide off of a pistol and sell the lower I'm good?

Sure.

Selling the lower off by itself would mean that the item you are transferring likely does not meet the definition of a "firearm" in RCW 9.41.010. Until the WA legislature expands that definition, that won't change.

That's my understanding as well, but I'm not sure if it would be argued differently (I'm not a lawyer) if the frame was previously transferred as a pistol rather than "other". I would think technically not, but the legal stuff doesn't always seem to follow logic.

BUT (and this is important) - Intent matters here. If you sell the collection of parts all to the same person, I think it's possible you could end up facing some serious questions about intent, and accusations that you were trying to skirt around the law. I'd say that can apply if the same person ends up with the complete collection of parts in the end, even if you "sold" the upper parts to a different friend first. Some pistols do have the SN marked on slide and barrel...

Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:50 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

As long as you are not intending to sell him or give him your slide that you just removed, legally you should be fine. If you plan on doing this to bypass the stupid law, then the "intent" portion of the law comes into play.

Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:08 am
Profile WWW

SIG is now selling P320 FCU's as a separate part, under warranty. You need to buy it via an FFL (it's the serialized part) but i'll transfer as an "other firearm" (if it doesn't find a new FFL). You can then buy all the other things you need (grip module, slide, magazines) from various vendors online, including via SIG's own website. You can also find FCU's for P320's and P365's sold online in a number of places second hand--but then obviously without a warranty. (Though I have had some luck in registering FCU's bought this way because often the original owner never registered it and was effectively selling it factory new -- stripping the pistol and selling the parts without ever firing it.)

The advantage of buying a P320 this way in WA is that you avoid the defacto gun registry and you don't have to waive your HIPAA rights.

It's more expensive to buy all the parts and put the gun together, than to buy a complete gun, but I believe everyone should have at least one rifle and at least one pistol that is not on a registry.

Sat May 01, 2021 8:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2