Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Duvall Honey Hole? 

Does anyone have coordinates or directions to this pit? I can't find it with the map and the location the interactive map provides doesn't seem overly accessible.

Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DJA425 wrote:
Does anyone have coordinates or directions to this pit? I can't find it with the map and the location the interactive map provides doesn't seem overly accessible.
That's because it's not. It's a half mile walk up a logging road to a tiny pit full of sharp rocks... that I enjoy shooting at.

This is not the kind of pit one can back their truck up to and throw out a bunch of targets. Its terrible, and I go there every chance I get with my dad.

Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:50 pm

1) that was fantastic to read.
2) does google accurately bring you to the gate? It told me to seemingly walk through the woods.

Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was just up there today with my dad and son. New rocks on the road so watch the ankles.

Someone left a large steel silhouette up there which was fun to ring, but be careful to angle it properly so ricochets dont whizz about your ears [emoji33]

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:31 pm

I may have to check that spot out then on Saturday. Still a little hike in?

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DJA425 wrote:
I may have to check that spot out then on Saturday. Still a little hike in?
Yeah, you have to walk in about 1/2 to 3/4. It's up a hill too, so for the first time I recommend most people bring 1-2 guns at most and a flattened box with some tape to reconstruct and be a target. Park at the coordinated I PM'ed you and bring your Discover Pass. Also, I would go early if you can. There is very little parking and it could very well be full up by 9-10am.

Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The hike up the hill isn't bad unless you try to bring everything and the kitchen sink with you. Like beckdw said, a couple guns, a reasonable amount of ammo, and a lightweight/compact target is all you really want to haul up that hill. Either that or bring an able-bodied friend or two and share the load if you want to bring more.

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:01 am

DJA425 wrote:

https://goo.gl/maps/2taRx3KYKjk1br1V7 this is the gate

https://goo.gl/maps/nYEq311GZJNZ5R1GA this is the pit

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone know if the Duvall pit is open?

Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:26 pm

Bit of a late response but I was there a few days ago and things are still open. One thing to note, you might run into two people on an ATV. They're (from my experience working retail) probably junkies, but they were picking up brass to resell. Just keep your distance and bring a mask just in case you run into them, they told me Covid was bullshit.

Overall though seemed harmless enough, they were cleaning the place up somewhat and offered to leave so we could shoot.

Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:43 am

colincy wrote:
I was up at the Duvall pit last weekend. With a Discover pass you can just park down at the gate and as others said it's a bit of a hike up but not terrible. I ran into some guys that had a key for the gate and drove 3 cars up and took up the whole pit running drills with quite the setup. They mentioned a second pit a bit further up the road (hang a left at the next fork) that isn't as large, but still works so I left for that rather than squeeze in. Worked great.

I'm trying to find the smaller pit on a google satelite map, was it covered in trees? If you can recall any other information i'd appreciate it, gonna give Duvall a shot next week and if it's full i'd like to try the backup pit mentioned in your post.

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hiked the road past the shooting area yesterday. Spoke to several small groups on the way out. They were carrying out their brass. Friendly guys. Assumed I was an anti because we were just hiking.

Looks like some kind of less formal probably illegal pit another mile or so after the right turn to the main pit. 100 yards after the clear cut at inside of the huge curved overlook. So one dude taking a shit right by the road but no shooting.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
I hiked the road past the shooting area yesterday. Spoke to several small groups on the way out. They were carrying out their brass. Friendly guys. Assumed I was an anti because we were just hiking.

Looks like some kind of less formal probably illegal pit another mile or so after the right turn to the main pit. 100 yards after the clear cut at inside of the huge curved overlook. So one dude taking a shit right by the road but no shooting.
My friend and I went up to the pit on Sat morning and ran into the McCloskeys and some of their gated community friends going up when we were coming down. Also had some folks out just hiking. They seemed pretty friendly and asked about the viewpoint despite my buddy OCing his AR.

The lower gate was open but I didn't want to risk it being closed when I came down. I also was driving the minivan not my truck...so...

I have previously seen militia types with vehicles at the pit even when the gate was closed and not sure how they were able to get up there.

Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

beckdw wrote:
Pablo wrote:

My friend and I went up to the pit on Sat morning and ran into the McCloskeys and some of their gated community friends going up when we were coming down. Also had some folks out just hiking. They seemed pretty friendly and asked about the viewpoint despite my buddy OCing his AR.

The lower gate was open but I didn't want to risk it being closed when I came down. I also was driving the minivan not my truck...so...

I have previously seen militia types with vehicles at the pit even when the gate was closed and not sure how they were able to get up there.

Who are the McCloskeys? The property just to the west?

Interesting info. I have not been there enough to know the gate cycles but there may be some other offroadish access further on.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
beckdw wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Who are the McCloskeys? The property just to the west?

Interesting info. I have not been there enough to know the gate cycles but there may be some other offroadish access further on.
Lol, the McCloskeys are Ken and Karen from Missouri, the gun toting lawyers. Saw their ilk hiking up, 3 couples.

Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next