Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Gun shop Wait Times 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dunno wrote:
Sorry, I should have been more clear. By “like a pistol,” I meant that they’ve checked CPL and NICS rather than the state/local checks with the 10 day wait like is done for pistols, not that they marked “pistol” on the 4473.

Dealer shouldn't be checking your CPL for a lower. Prior to July 1 of this year, and arguably still the case, there was nothing special about receivers that necessitated showing your CPL. There's no wait time you were avoiding by presenting a CPL like you could with a pistol.

dunno wrote:
Are you saying that stripped lowers should not be subject to pistol restrictions, and thus the 10 day wait on local PD checks, as is the subject of this thread?

I'm saying state laws reference state definitions. If the 10-day wait is mandated by state law on only certain categories of firearms, then anything outside those categories are not subject to that law. My understanding is that more than pistols will be affected. The entire back-end process for background checks is changing for the state. Can't use NICS for things that we used to be able to use NICS for. My guess is lowers may still be affected, not because of a law mandating a wait time on pistols, but because the process for getting the background check done is changing, and that takes some time.

zombie66 wrote:
Mikey is a Bossy Bottom.....

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:25 am

A lower is a lower. An other. The ONLY reason a dealer should be looking at your CPL is if your drivers license or state ID doesn't have your current address but your CPL does. Because it's a government issued document with current address. Other than that, it has nothing to do with lowers. The state even took frame/receiver off the pistol transfer application about 4 years ago.

It might not meet the definition of a firearm under state law, but it is one under federal law. And the feds are the ones saying they won't do the NICS checks for them anymore. Well until next year or whenever they decide to stop giving WA extensions. I'm hoping some common sense will somehow pop up here, but I'm not going to bet on it. Where hte state gets it's shit together and accepts that our CPLs are supposed to make us NICS exempt. Or at least stops causing multiple checks on the same person for the same gun to happen.

Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9