Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:11 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Just because I'm recently getting ,,,,,,,, Prepper Meet-Up's 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

are there any?
Like a meet up at a lodge or range or hall where we discuss idea's show, discuss "get home bags", things of that nature that are specific to our area?

Living off the land up here is going to be tough, it's wet, cold and wildlife knows darn well to stay clear of human.

I'm an old man so carrying a lot of stuff isn't an option, w wheeled carrying cart might be, but it needs some all-terrain adaptation, maybe a folding garden cart with 18" wheels, something that can be stowed in a car trunk,

Easy fire starting technique with wet surroundings, quick water resistant shelter, a water resistant sitting/kneeling pad.
Is a Core 5 stove available anywhere?

Just a few idea's of topics

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As far as the water proof kneeling pad use an old foam camping mattress they are water proof.

Albert Einstein

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I keep a small survival kit in each vehicle. It has multiple methods of starting a fire (butane lighter, waterproof matches, magnesium striker), an Esbit folding stove with a dozen fuel tabs, a Stanley cookset, a package of ramen, power bar, reflective blankets, aluminum foil to make a wind break for the stove, a fresnel lens (magnifier as well as another fire starter), signalling mirror, spork. I figure that's enough to keep you going for a cold night should you get stuck somewhere you don't want to be.

We use 2" thick foam for shipping our instruments at work, so I collect some of the cutoffs. I keep a kneeling pad sized piece of it in each car. It's closed cell foam so it won't soak up water.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:34 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Keep a few road flares in your rig. Good for signaling and for starting fires

Albert Einstein

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about a wind to charge radio to listen for weather or news,,,,,

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know if you're on FB, but there used to be some local groups that did occasional meetups for learning, trying out new gear, selling used equipment, etc. I haven't been on there in a long time so don't know the current status but it might be another place to check for local prepper activities.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should check out King or Pierce county 4x4 SAR groups. Might solve some of your concerns.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Face book?,,, no I'm staying off that grid, I don't want to get that well known.
To many issues starting to develop with social media's now, too much personal info getting too spread around.
Even here I'm cautious, I was just wondering if anything like what I mentioned existed locally.

The answer to the radio post, Eaton Scorpion II, has it's own internal charging generator, has a solar panel, small but it will keep the battery maintained, am, fm,& weather, flashlight, plus has a usb outlet for charging other small devices, it weigh's a bit but well worth the carry,
I've thought about ham radio's, might do some research there,

oh well thanks for your time.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mjw wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077V ... UTF8&psc=1

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:58 pm

Question #1 should be: Where am I bugging out TO?

I own rural land and we don't cotton to invaders. Bugging out without a place, supplies and ideally loyal associates either there or bugging as well will be a disaster

Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:01 pm

mjw wrote:

Your best bet is two way radios that receive NWS broadcasts. Here's one good example

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-BF-F8HP- ... NWMGD2H92V

Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've thought about doing some basic YouTube videos on some things like making a fishing kit building a fire laying in but let's of dried foods etc. I know there are a ton of videos out there though so who knows

Albert Einstein

Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only reason I would "bug out" is for a CA type fire. Not likely in Oly. I will stay with my home.

Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
The only reason I would "bug out" is for a CA type fire. Not likely in Oly. I will stay with my home.

Yup more likely to fall into the ocean when the cascadia subduction zone kicks off. Than to have a California fire event here..buuttttttt anything is possible

Albert Einstein

Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
Oly or OK? Oly I'm guessing you might want to me bugging out if say, there was an active volcano next door [emoji6] OK with your trailer setup you could bug out from them tornadoes pretty easily.

Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next