Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:19 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Neighbors and a disaster... 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So depending on the extent of any disaster scenario and the duration are key aspects.

Depending on what and to what extent of damage to infrastructure (eg police, medical, roads, phone/power, etc).

What are your plans for your neighbors?

The ones prepared should be okay. Food/water, protection.

How about the ones that are not?
They come to you knowing you have supplies - food/water and protection. Food and water is solely dependent on how much of a stock you have and how much you know them, etc.

How about sharing protection? Or even ammo?

Any thoughts?

Again lots of variables. But something people might want to ponder and have a basic working idea how one would handle this type of situation.

Mon May 21, 2018 7:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the neighbors across the street live on the edge of a ravine... in a huge EQ I'm guessing they'll be in a heap at the bottom of the ravine....

of those that don't succumb to the immediate effects of whatever crisis occurs, I'm guessing almost all of my neighbors will shuffle up to see what FEMA will hand out (the regional FEMA HQ is just a few miles from here near the Kenmore Gun Range.)

The guy next door at least has a week or two of rations stored up but the impression I get from the rest of my neighbors is that they live for the moment assured that lights and water will always come on, and Safeway will always be open.

Top that off with the fact that most of my neighbors are north of 60 years of age and have health issues and an extended event won't be pretty.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon May 21, 2018 7:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ass, Grass or Cash. Nobody rides for free.

Mon May 21, 2018 7:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I live in an area where people are pretty well off and not prepared for anything. Raiding would be easy peasy.

Mon May 21, 2018 7:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only two of my neighbors are prepared like I am, have helped me with various things and have been social with, and they are the only ones I could give a shit about. The others are Liberal anti gun peeps, and they are on their own.

Mon May 21, 2018 8:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My neighbors don’t know me and I don’t know them. And I like it that way

Mon May 21, 2018 8:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Neighbors are all Sheep. Except the Asian one's on the corner, they might be more ready than i think. They Have Stone Statues of Lions on the front corners of the driveway.
I'm watching those people. Oh, and they got Raided by the FBI once too. That was Interesting. :popcorn:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon May 21, 2018 8:17 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

usrifle wrote:
My Neighbors are all Sheep.

Baaaaaaa

Try me, bitch! :cussing:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon May 21, 2018 8:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few years back during my I594 voting tour, I went door-to-door in my large neighborhood.

I have a good idea of the gun owners, ex-military, law enforcement, etc. And who the useless folks are. I'm also friends with some neighbors.

We've got a few that I'd immediately reach out to.

I've considered setting up a Facebook page for just my neighborhood, to link us all up, without revealing too much. More of a neighborhood watch thing to link us up.

Mon May 21, 2018 8:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
usrifle wrote:
My Neighbors are all Sheep.

Baaaaaaa

Try me, bitch! :cussing:

Shit...You are a Mile away, not exactly "Neighbors" so that doesn't count. I would be there in a Second to rescue the GF though, :inlove: you are on your own, Bitch.
:bigsmile:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon May 21, 2018 9:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My neighbors ARE a disaster....

I've done CERT training, CAT training, all kinds of stuff. I'm also in with a group....

My neighborhood & HOA tried to set up a NET (Neighborhood Emergency Training), but it was a joke.

There was zero training, but they wanted you to fill out forms to divulge everything YOU had as far as emergency preps....

Yeah, good luck with that.....

Come and get it..... :AR15firing:

Mon May 21, 2018 9:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The purpose of this “exercise”

Basically is don’t plan on doing shit for them because they didn’t do shit for themselves.

You put in the time, energy and money to ensure your own.

Depending on duration on your stock of goods. If it’s short term... then there’s that to figure but often the situation is unclear.

By giving it can turn into a situation of demanding and continued wanting by neighbors and in turn can become more dangerous for you and your family.

Alternatively, you can form a group to share the burden of watching and monitoring your area and form defensive zone. But those are all considerations for the situation.

There is really no right and per se wrong answers. It’s really making the best of a bad situation. What’s best for you and your family and living with those decisions afterwards.

Worst case scenario - solar flare or EMP which knocks out all power - electronics/vehicles. This is a long term disaster effecting huge regions if not whole countries. Rebuilding would simple take months to years or worse case decades.

Earthquake - County, city or region but leaves relief to come from other areas. Plan on days to weeks and months.

War - well shit there’s really only one war scenario and thats nuclear. Dirty bombs, etc is all long term.

The list can be pretty endless so I’ll stop there.

Plan and adjust accordingly to your situation and needs and what you can do and are willing to do. Let us hope that we never have to do any of this... but as the “Boy” Scouts used to say... “Be prepared”

Tue May 22, 2018 7:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got a good idea of what might happen about nine years ago when we had our power go out for eight days. It had snowed quite a bit and the ice weighed down the lines all down the street and most of them snapped. After the first day everyone was still at home, after the third day lots of people left to go to hotels or other places that had power. By the 5th day the entire neighborhood was empty outside of just a few of us.

We got together during the days for BBQ lunches and dinners since most of us had freezers and had to use or lose the meat we had stored. If this would have been a long term issue, it sounds bad to say but I would have gone shopping at my neighbors who had left.

Tue May 22, 2018 7:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:

+1

I smile and wave to them once in a while, but I don't know their names and I'm not curious enough to find out. I know enough about the old lady on one side to guarantee she's not getting any help from me (she has an Everytown bumper sticker on her Prius).

If anyone thinks that my house and the preps inside are going to be an easy target, they have another thing coming, and it contains chemicals known by the state of CA to cause cancer.

Tue May 22, 2018 8:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
Arisaka wrote:

+1

I smile and wave to them once in a while, but I don't know their names and I'm not curious enough to find out. I know enough about the old lady on one side to guarantee she's not getting any help from me (she has an Everytown bumper sticker on her Prius).

If anyone thinks that my house and the preps inside are going to be an easy target, they have another thing coming, and it contains chemicals known by the state of CA to cause cancer.

Forget cancer. I'll be killing them more quickly via lead poisoning. :thumbsup2:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Tue May 22, 2018 10:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next