Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:15 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Body armor 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why did you choose III+ over level IV?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I ever get another set of Hesco plates I’m going with the multi curve option because they are so much more comfortable than the single curve model.
Quality products made right here in Aberdeen!!!

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When it comes to body armor, everything is going to be a compromise. Level 4 plates are rated for high caliber armor piercing ammo. It’s also heavy. 3+ plates are typically rated to most everything up to 30.06. They should be able to stop 5.56 green tip, which is typically a difficult round to stop with lighter weight armor. For me, mobility is a far more desirable trait than armor rating.

Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Esstac's website doesn't state clearly, but Hesco says the 3601 you linked is multi curved?

EDIT: you have MC plates, front and back?

Also seems like the distinction between III+ and lvl IV is only the ability to stop (1) AP M2 round (and 4 lbs)?

EDIT2: What is your navel-to-notch measurement?
(I usually don't ask that until the second date or four drinks)

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I have them front and back, they are multi curve. The specific one's I got are the LE cut, which seems to be half way between swimmer cut and SAPI. Incredibly lightweight in my mind. I highly recommend them. There's not a whole lot of data out there about them, but they are NIJ certified so you can trust that they will actually work against the rated threats.

Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RMA plates of the same rating cost about $300.00 less for a set (large SAPI) but weigh a third of a pound more and only a five year warranty.

Interesting that they show an NIJ 07 cert.

Back to sizing: you care to tell your measurements and size you chose?

FJB

Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don’t have a tape measure or ruler out here. They are large plates. I could probably get away with medium plates, but I prefer the slightly better coverage of a large plate. I have the RMA plates as well, and the weight difference feels noticeable. When I get back I’ll put all the plates next to each other and do a quick review

Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For a dude who just wants to have some plates “just in case” and will more than likely not face danger, is it necessary to get a back plate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bet you notice the difference in weight. Those LE cut Hesco plates are a pound lighter (each plate) than the Hesco SAPI cut plates. So with the RMA's, you'd be carrying almost 2.5 pounds less...ALL day, with your job (?)

Semi -related: I'm pretty fanatical about shaving weight carried on long distance treks (hiking), even to the extent that I remove all of the brand name placards, washing and sizing tags from gear. Ounces add up as much as years in wear and tear on the body.

FJB

Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

edogg wrote:
For a dude who just wants to have some plates “just in case” and will more than likely not face danger, is it necessary to get a back plate?

Scoundrels, I bet, would be more likely to take a blind side shot at you than go tete-a-tete. Plus, you will turn your back in retreat at some point.

FJB

Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

edogg wrote:

If you want strictly one plate, that's your prerogative. However, you can never be certain of where a threat may be. You may think it's in front of you, but they may have snuck behind you, or they have accomplices. Also, friendly fire is a thing and accidents happen. A shot to a lung can be bad, but can be treated. A shot to the spine is a real game changer that I'd prefer to avoid

Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks. That makes sense.

I’m looking at the RMA large plates but not sure they’d fit in my GGG minimalist. The GGG site says 10x12” or ESAPI large will fit. But the RMA and Hesco both say their large is 10x13”. Think the large will fit?

Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

edogg wrote:
Thanks. That makes sense.

I’m looking at the RMA large plates but not sure they’d fit in my GGG minimalist. The GGG site says 10x12” or ESAPI large will fit. But the RMA and Hesco both say their large is 10x13”. Think the large will fit?

You also have to consider the thickness of the plate to see if it will fit. Maybe give Grey Ghost a shout.

FJB

Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:51 am

jukk0u wrote:
I bet you notice the difference in weight. Those LE cut Hesco plates are a pound lighter (each plate) than the Hesco SAPI cut plates. So with the RMA's, you'd be carrying almost 2.5 pounds less...ALL day, with your job (?)

Semi -related: I'm pretty fanatical about shaving weight carried on long distance treks (hiking), even to the extent that I remove all of the brand name placards, washing and sizing tags from gear. Ounces add up as much as years in wear and tear on the body.

HA! You're one of those guys that cuts the handles off of toothbrushes. Nothing's wrong with that at all. Best to eliminate weight wherever possible. I was just as fanatical when I was being made to road march to death.

Back plates are NOT optional.

Not only to balance the carrier, but if being shot at while you're prone, at much of a downward angle, you'll be badly exposed.

Helmets are not optional either, in that situation.

Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NotAMerc wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:
Well if we’re bumping this can we have a chat about plate carriers?

Specifically esapi cut plates for a big guy. 50”+ chest. Thoughts?

I'd say a large SAPI cut plate. I'm rocking these guys right now and am quite happy with them. Plus they made and sold locally.
https://esstac.com/instock-hesco-3611c-level-iii-armor-plate/

Solid choice. The difference in price between single- and multi-curve seems like a lot, and maybe it is, but they're so much more comfortable. And for an item like this, "buy once, cry once" makes a lot of sense.

Mike, you're not too far from Esstac's store; I'd go in there and try some plates on for size. They usually have some display models you can play with, and the people are real helpful.

Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next