Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:20 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Body armor 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DS Precision wrote:
Anyone ever have hands-on with this Dragon Skin stuff?

http://www.pinnaclearmor.com/body-armor/dragon-skin/

nope cause if i did they never would have gotten it back :bruce: :bigsmile:

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done. --- Leonardo DaVinci

When its time to go in:
That place of steel and stone. I pray that you will keep me safe, so I will not walk alone. Help me to do my duty, please watch me on my rounds.
Amongst those perilous places and slamming steel door sounds. God, keep my fellow Officers well and free from harm. Let them know I'll be there too, whenever there's alarm.
Above all when I walk my beat, no matter where I roam. Let me go back whence I came, to family and home

Author unknown.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:12 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

It's not illegal in most jurisdictions to own body armour. Unless you're a felon. Some of my distributors require that I sign an agreement not to sell to the general public unless accompanied by a signed letter from LEO attesting to the good character of the individual. I won't sign any such agreement, but some of my sources do not require that.

I haven't set up a section for body armour yet, because my intiial buy-in is going to be rather expensive and not a whole lot of people will rush in to buy it. Inventory sitting around on a shelf for months doesn't help me much. But if enough people were to set up a group buy, I am certain my shop could help with that.

NRA Instructor #178467647 FFL# 9-91-011-01-5E-04555
Callsign: KF7PCW

Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:09 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mash man wrote:
DS Precision wrote:

I dunno - NIJ decertified it.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/newsroom/press ... J07057.htm

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/for ... hp?t=14523

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:11 am

arrigoni wrote:
mash man wrote:
DS Precision wrote:

I dunno - NIJ decertified it.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/newsroom/press ... J07057.htm

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/for ... hp?t=14523

That was an interesting read...

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.” - Gautama Siddharta

Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NY legislation outlaws body armor. Turn it in or face arrest.
https://legislation.nysenate.gov/pdf/bills/2021/A352
In WA soon?
:popcorn:

Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:46 am

I went with steel lvl 3+ plates, they are heavy as hell but have the longest shelf life.

I have a smaller, basic carrier in my trunk, a couple mag pouches for my pistol and my AR. Total weight about 18lbs. Heavy but not too heavy I couldnt put it on and hoof it to where I needed to go.

I have a blackhawk carrier at home, carries 8 mags, med kit, dump pouch, again lvl3+ steel plates, probably closer to 25-30lbs.

Ive looked at a few ceramic setups, but the 5 year shelf life and high cost kinda make it a no go for me. Next is a concealable lvl 3A vest for wearing under a light jacket or flannel, the two carriers I currently have are not concealable at all.

Ive heard from people who have more experience then me that a ceramic/kevlar setup wouldnt be much lighter or much more effective, so I just stick with my heavy steel.

Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ducksauce798 wrote:
I went with steel lvl 3+ plates, they are heavy as hell but have the longest shelf life.

I have a smaller, basic carrier in my trunk, a couple mag pouches for my pistol and my AR. Total weight about 18lbs. Heavy but not too heavy I couldnt put it on and hoof it to where I needed to go.

I have a blackhawk carrier at home, carries 8 mags, med kit, dump pouch, again lvl3+ steel plates, probably closer to 25-30lbs.

Ive looked at a few ceramic setups, but the 5 year shelf life and high cost kinda make it a no go for me. Next is a concealable lvl 3A vest for wearing under a light jacket or flannel, the two carriers I currently have are not concealable at all.

Ive heard from people who have more experience then me that a ceramic/kevlar setup wouldnt be much lighter or much more effective, so I just stick with my heavy steel.

the warranty might expire in 5 years, but ceramic plates don't go bad short of abusing them. the only negative to steel plates besides the weight that I'm aware of is fragmentation of the projectiles.

Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve got lvl III+/SRT made of poly/ceramic, 5.5#’s each, multi-curve, 10 year warranty. They fit like a glove on my manly body and yes I do wear them in my concealed carrier when I go to my pit to pick brass and clean up after the slobs...

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWRed wrote:
Ducksauce798 wrote:

the warranty might expire in 5 years, but ceramic plates don't go bad short of abusing them. the only negative to steel plates besides the weight that I'm aware of is fragmentation of the projectiles.

I know AR-500 stuff has "Rhino Lining" which defeats the spalling issue.

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
NWRed wrote:

I know AR-500 stuff has "Rhino Lining" which defeats the spalling issue.

Its an upgraded option from some manufacturers/retailers, a standard option with others. You'll still have spalling, its unavoidable if you're shooting steel plates with copper coated lead projos at high velocities, but the rhino lining is supposed to capture the frags. No guarantees however, the rhino lining is certainly better than nothing. If I was getting steel plates I'd be getting lined plates, or a kevlar cover to wear on the exterior etc

Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.kotaoutfitters.com/product- ... s-set-of-2

Hesco L210s
$330 shipped no tax collected at time of sale for L210s. Ceramics that "capture" the bullet and avoid the spalling issue where you bleed the fuck to death from the shrapnel.

Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWRed wrote:

Agreed. I'm certainly not chucking my expired well stored Ceramic plates that were properly handled due to a shelf life number on them.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow....necro thread alert, go back and look at some of the posts on the 1st couple of pages.....some long lost names there

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:03 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think this is the second or third separate discussion on armor so far

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next