Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 (Re-titled) Tourniquet Thread 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

(Edited)

A thread to discuss your favorite TQ, holster, method and manner of stowage and use.

OP:
Here's a new kid on the block: ETQ tourniquets.

About the size of a 9mm mag. 1" and 1.5" versions.

https://soldiersystems.net/2022/10/26/n ... f-systems/

https://www.snakestaffsystems.com/

Some pretty innovative features. I like how tidy it stows. The carabiner retention is interesting. I wonder how easy it is to release.
About the same cost as CAT t's.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Last edited by jukk0u on Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also:
It has a chemlight that snaps when applied and a QR code for a video to show someone how to apply it. About the same price as regular ones $32 (sold out)
https://www.snakestaffsystems.com/buy-now

Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting but not coTCCC approved afaik.

You can flat fold the SOF-T which is TCCC approved.

Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A discussion in the Ukraine War thread about counterfeit TQ's plaguing casualty care inspired me to re-title and resurrect this thread.

RocketScott posted a great link for identifying fakes and also had some tutorials for staging your TQ's.

His link here:

https://highgroundshooter.com/2022/12/2 ... ourniquet/

Okay. Great link RS. So I got out some TQ's and started staging them in the different fashions explained in the two videos, then tried to deploy them one-handed imagining the other had to be disabled.

The Dark Angel fold method,while not as neatly or compactly folded, deployed way faster. The Aptus method folded so nicely but was a nightmare to deploy, using teeth and having to turn the TQ over and over while trying to free it from the hooks and separating the velcro.

I also noted that some of my TQ's were quite old and need to be cycled. (The old ones make good trainers)

On a different note: The NAR TQ-holsters (at least the ones I got from them some years ago) are bulky and don't actually contain the tourniquets very well.

Recently acquired a HSGI nylon/molle TQ taco and it fits the new Snakestaff TQ's well. They are pricey (Shooting Surplus had them on sale - may still be - for $36.00 yesterday.)

What's y'all's favorite TQ holster?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the HSGI Taco TQ pouches on MOLLE belts, and an Esstac elastic horizontal TQ holder for my EDC belt. Those all hold the NAR CATs, and I like both makes.

The Snakestaff Systems Everyday Carry TQ is a nice little unit. I just picked up 5 the other day. They fit nicely in a pocket, and they're a good size for use on little kids. I would like to get a small pocket sleeve with a clip for them, like the Snake Skin that they also offer, but it's pricey. Might make my own, or look for a different make.

I've seen guys using bungee cord (like the kind the HSGI pouches use) to secure to a Magpul stock, but I haven't decided on a rifle-mounted system yet.

Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Posted this in the original thread, reposting here:

RocketScott wrote:
It's not just that there are cheap tourniquets out there to avoid. Counterfeits of legitimate products are everywhere. Either buy from a source you trust or know what to look for to verify what you're getting

Counterfeit tourniquets are a serious problem

Attention to Detail

Part 2: Real v Fake – Identifying Fake CAT Tourniquets

Have multiple

I keep one on each belt IFAK, two on the plate carrier, first aid kit in the truck, daily carry briefcase...

Excellent post!

The other thing is, there are a number of new ones out there, without much history.

Snakestaff is one.

They’re also not CoTCCC recommended (combat).

On the Firearm Blog, a person from their company argued that other Tourniquets were around for years before they were approved.

Well, it’s been years, and still not approved.

They initially only had the 1”, and argued in that same blog post that, even though TCCC, and others, highly recommend at least 1.5”, their 1” was suitable since most civilians are only 10-20 minutes away from a hospital.

They now offer a 1.5”, and say it’s easier to use.

I’m not ragging on them, they just happen to have been mentioned here, so I wanted to point out the challenges, since they actually responded to them online.

Here’s a list of current CoTCCC-approved tourniquets:

https://books.allogy.com/web/tenant/8/b ... d63343866/

Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You guys are sooo spoiled.
In 90s in Chechnya we used 1” rubber band.

Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sam Extremity TQ

https://www.sammedical.com/products/sam-xt-tourniquet

FJB

Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At least now you’re recommending tourniquets that are CoTCCC recommended.

Many prefer the C-A-Ts, though, because you can apply them one-handed.

Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

North American Rescue is having a sale right now

https://www.narescue.com/

The Gen 7 CAT is $22.11 with code THANKS23

Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]