Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The most cost effective and reliable hand gun for a BOB 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Revolver.

Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:01 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I food savered a Glock 19, 3 magazines, holster for gun and magazines and 100 rounds. The only thing I would add is a parts kits for the springs. It is cost effective for me and reliable enough for me.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The most cost effective and reliable handgun would be:

1) One I already own
2) Have trained with extensively
3) Have plenty of mags and ammo for

For me that would be a P226, others might be different. If it works, it works

Run whatcha brung

Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:

1) One I already own

Run whatcha brung

you got a place to recommend to buy more 226 mags? i have 4 of the 20rd and 4 18 but they are all close to 10years old....

Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IRackNBack wrote:
RocketScott wrote:

1) One I already own

Run whatcha brung

you got a place to recommend to buy more 226 mags? i have 4 of the 20rd and 4 18 but they are all close to 10years old....

Midway had MecGar 18-rounders in stock forn$28/ea.
Ive got 15+ year-old USP40 mags that work great. Age is less important, round count ia moreso.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006230932

zombie66 wrote:
Mikey is a Bossy Bottom.....

Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:42 pm

munchie wrote:
With out a doubt the Ruger P series in 9mm..P89/P85...prove me wrong...I bet you cant

I can't. The P89 is an excellent choice in this role. Built like a tank, utterly reliable.

But why would you have a pistol in a BOB, instead of just having it on you at all times?

Unless this is a "stash" type setup, like Stokes mentions, in which case yes, carry on. Good choice.

Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would punt the idea of “cost effective”, in favor of “what I shoot well”, and practice with.

Hopefully, you already carry that.

Put another one, or it’s larger cousin, in your BOB.

Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:09 pm

Does OP mean cost effective, as in cheap to buy for this purpose, or no great loss if stolen?

Must define the role more specifically.

Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gonna take this a whole different direction.

Why a pistol at all in a bugout bag? If this are bad enough that you're having to bug out instead of bug in, wouldn't you need to be carrying a rifle at that point?

So I'll say an AR.

But if you have to have a pistol for some reason, I'd agree with either a glock 17/19 for parts and ammo, or a glock 20/40.

Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My primary consideration would be balancing between weight of ammunition, and defence capabilities of 2 legged animals and hunting 4 legged ones.

Most roles would likely be best suited for a TX-22 loaded with CCI velocitors as far as cost effectiveness.

Ideally the best caliber and gun is probably a 5.7 like a Ruger 57 if price wasnt a consideration.

Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's the reason I want a 30 round or larger mag capacity in my BOB: WROL there are sure to be a bunch of nimrods in a group seeking to exploit that lack of civility and structure and working in concert to victimize the unwitting. I want enough pew-pew to indicate that I have ample pew-pew to address a threat in numbers.

Therefore: M92 (or M85, AR pistol, PMR or other ) for the win.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While I myself would prefer one, or more, of my USP's, since I already have them, I would honestly go with a compact AR or some flavor of 9mm Glock in a BOB role. Most common, most reliable, most available to scavenge, and either will do in a pinch if you need to kill something, be it two-legged or four.

That said, I don't foresee myself surviving long in a situation where I need a BOB. If circumstances are such that I need to abandon my property for survival, it's either catastrophic natural disaster, with me being more than 200ft above sea level, or the world has gone to absolute shit. Most of my neighbors will not survive either situation.

In a more likely case of extreme political or social unrest, I am much safer at my house than I am abroad.

So, my I much prefer having a BIGS. Or, a bug-in-gun-safe. In it, I've got enough spares to arm trustworthy neighbors. One armed house is fine. Four armed houses on a corner is better.

zombie66 wrote:
Mikey is a Bossy Bottom.....

Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Criteria was cost effective and reliable. Revolver wins.

If the criteria was expanded to mag capacity then a wonder nine would be considered, e.g. Ruger P89.

If weight was added, maybe a Glock 26.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And maybe define what a BOB means to you.

Some define it as a something unnoticeable, where one can hike for miles through streets, neighborhoods, etc., where weight, and being inconspicuous are paramount.

Others want it to have everything they might need while on the move, first aid, back-up weapons, ammo, food, water...

So, as the ladies say, size matters...

Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
And maybe define what a BOB means to you.

Some define it as a something unnoticeable, where one can hike for miles through streets, neighborhoods, etc., where weight, and being inconspicuous are paramount.

Others want it to have everything they might need while on the move, first aid, back-up weapons, ammo, food, water...

So, as the ladies say, size matters...

Yep, Identify your goals.
I have a BOB/Get Home Bag/EDC. So there's some overlap of intentions.
My WSHTF-PDW is fairly large and takes up a good portion of the bag, but...

Should something untoward happen, the first step would be to access the weapon and carry in a more ready position (Yes, U.S., that would mean slung in front and somewhat concealed by bulky clothing; but things would have to be pretty sketchy to get to this stage anyway). The next step, should time allow, would be to assess what else is at hand - in the truck, or near proximity - that would aid in either getting home or to somewhere relatively safe. Those items, if any, would then occupy the space in the bag formerly taken up by my PDW.

In my GHB/EDC is everything to achieve home should I be within 20 miles of home. If I venture further away from home, a larger pack (what I used for mountain treks) goes in the truck, too. At the onset of festivities, the assessment stage would allow for anything from the smaller GHB to be included in the larger BOB.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2