Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 New to this and could use some advice 

Greetings all,
I am interested in learning and doing more about prepping for disasters or hard time situations.
So I’ve been doing a lot of reading up on it and could appreciate some advice.

I was raised LDS so I’m not really all that unfamiliar with it but it’s been a while and things have changed.

We are way out in the sticks on the Washington Olympic Peninsula on a few acres.

We are on well, septic and have a very large propane tank that is only for our whole house generator.
There is large game here and we also have oyster beds, clams beds and all that goes with that on the property.

We don’t have solar yet but we have a perfect large southern roof for it.
I plan on doing that in the near future and using repurposed electric car batteries.
Some of my buddies are hip to that and have taught me a lot so I think the repurposed batteries are a good value.
I like the idea of an attached narrow shed to the backside of the house with solar fans like sailboats have for ventilation.

So.....
Here are some of my questions .

Can I load up several plastic 55 gallon drums with bags of dried foods and store them my shop.
The shop has heat but I don’t heat it.
It has a concrete floor.
Should I isolate my food off the floor with some sort of insulation like thick expanded rock sheeting?
Same question on my gun safes and ammo pallet.

Should I also install a lock on our shop freezer to slow down a thief?

What driveway security system works the best.
I want to do this now, like a doorbell chime because the driveway is a couple hundred yards long and we can’t see the street.
On one forum one guy said to get a couple of geese because that are better than dogs.
He actually said they work well with dogs because they get the dogs on alert quick.
I use game cams but they won’t fit this bill.

Also what would be a good emergency form of transportation?
I like the idea of e bikes.
We are going to get a couple soon.
I even want a trailer to haul game or supplies if needed.

We have 4 or 5 first aid kits that are ok but I would like to get a really good one.

Any suggestions to better fine tune my needs would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Rate this post positively
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For drive way alerts I use these.

https://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-Secu ... B002ISVJL6

My drive is about 300 yards. I have several at various places. With multiple sensors they each give unique beeps so I can tell exactly which one has been triggered.

I got tired of dealing batteries so I wired in solar charged lantern batteries - been 3 years uninterrupted operation so far.

I have two set on the frontage road so I can tell when folks drive by and which direction they are going.

I have one set just inside the front gate and another at the bridge 100 yards from the house.

I also have some on the back of the property to monitor for trespassers and big game.

Might be a bit much and the wife hates all the beeping. I prefer to know when some is coming.

I have three base stations. One is linked to all the sensors up front - that one beeps a lot and I turn it off to appease the wife.

The second base station is linked to the bridge sensor. Usually that one it always on.

The third base station is linked to the back property sensors.

I plan on putting up a few more to fully cover a 360 degree perimeter so anything comes from any direction I get notified.

The base stations are close enough and loud enough that my wyze camera triggers on the noise so I get notification on my phone.

Whole setup for under $300 except for the solar/battery parts.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas ... olar-panel

Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Geese are loud and will alert the dogs but there is a reason they are called fowl. The are foul and make a huge mess.

Guinea fowl are less foul but also quite noisy, eat ticks and are decent eating. They don't play nice with chickens.

Seriously, ducks and geese are very messy. If you are going to go that route keep them penned up away from the house.

Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here’s a forum that has lots of info if you poke around.

Just like here, there are reasonable people with great ideas, and others :bigsmile:

https://www.survivalistboards.com/forums/

Here’s a site where you can read the Peninsula Emergency Preparedness Guide, as well as FEMA’s, and Washington States:

https://issuu.com/sequimgazette/docs/pe ... redness_gu

Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]