Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 The Ham Radio Thread 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Being that I'm getting a ton of questions about radios, and they don't really belong in the ENCRYPTED COMMS thread, I figured I'd put them here.

What is Ham Radio?

Ham radio, or amateur radio, is a license you get, allowing you to use a broad range of frequencies. It can facilitate simple things like being able to talk to others locally, all the way to talking around the world, with no infrastructure.

It also enables use of digital modes, GPS tracking, messaging, etc. all without the need for commercial backhaul/infrastructure (although some modes do use it).

There are a couple different levels, each allowing you access to different parts of the radio spectrum.

What Ham Radio isn't.....

Ham radio isn't for commercial purposes. It's not unlicensed, low power, like FRS, or MURS.

Ham radio won't replace your cellphone for daily needs, or be some magic wand that lets you talk to anyone, anywhere, at any time.

How do I get a ham radio license?

First, you practice for the test. The easiest is the tech license test. You get a multi choice quiz, and all the test questions are published, so you can easily study and easily pass.

You have 6 year olds, and 90 year olds, that pass this test.... There are some basic electrical knowledge questions, in addition to some legal questions.

You can learn about, and take practice tests at https://hamexam.org/ then find an online test at http://www.arrl.org/FindOnlineExam

How much does it cost?

Right now, usually nothing. The online tests may charge a couple bucks, depending on who you choose, but they're run by volunteers and the charges, if any, are usually only to offset costs. Expect to pay $10, or even nothing at all... There is an effort by the FCC to charge $35 to issue a license, that may come into play in about 90 days...You renew every 10 years.

As far as the equipment goes.. You can get started with a $25 baofeng radio (not the greatest, but they work), and you'll be able to communicate with other hams throughout the state. Your range depends on your antenna, your location,and your equipment. Part of the journey is testing out what works and what doesn't. Repeaters will extend your signal quite a bit. It's not unusual to be able to talk from Everett to Olympia on a repeater, using a handheld radio... Some repeaters are even linked through the internet, allowing you to have a conversation with people in other states, and even other countries..

--------------------

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Tweenie for starting this thread. I've been curious after the Boafeng thread. My co workers and I were thinking about getting them for emergency use but unsure if they'd work the 20-25 miles apart we live. Still reading and learning.

Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.hamradio.com/

Don't open if you value your paycheck.

Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mtnwkr wrote:
Thanks Tweenie for starting this thread. I've been curious after the Boafeng thread. My co workers and I were thinking about getting them for emergency use but unsure if they'd work the 20-25 miles apart we live. Still reading and learning.

Not portable to portable without a repeater, but there are a ton of free repeaters to use.

Mobile to mobile, 25 miles is pretty easy.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:50 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Thank you also for starting this. Please put in your CHIRP info. Maybe we can combine threads......? This is a huge resource for the community.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:15 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BadKarma wrote:
Thank you also for starting this. Please put in your CHIRP info. Maybe we can combine threads......? This is a huge resource for the community.

I don't have a CHIRP file set up yet.

I started this because the secure comms thread was getting regular radio stuff pushed into it, and I wanted to keep it separate, as they're 2 separate things, with a little overlap.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just a note on personal security if you pursue a Ham Radio License.

Your call sign can be looked-up online, and it will list your name, and the address the license was mailed to.

Some people rent a box at a UPS store, or USPS, for a month or two, so that address is the one listed.

(Just food for thought; if TW doesn’t want this in the thread, feel free to delete)

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:

Your call sign can be looked-up online, and it will list your name, and the address the license was mailed to.

Some people rent a box at a UPS store, or USPS, for a month or two, so that address is the one listed.

(Just food for thought; if TW doesn’t want this in the thread, feel free to delete)

It was actually something I was going to mention, but forgot to... So, thanks for bringing it up.

IMO, with today's easy access to information, I wouldn't have ANYTHING going to your house. PO boxes are inexpensive.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ham radio also allows 2 very critical things, in a situation where commercial infrastructure is down.

Packet, and APRS.

Both allow real time transmission of data, and text, across large areas, without the need for commercial infrastructure.

Some radios have the capability built in..

BUT, even the shitty baofeng, when hooked up to a laptop, or even a cellphone with the proper adapter, can be used to access these modes..

Thomas Paine wrote:

Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:

I was just doing some studying and keeping your address up to date was a question on the test. Am I not understanding something here with your advise?

"47 C.F.R Section 97.21 requires you to file timely for an update of the license as necessary to show your correct mailing address, name, club name, license trustee or custodian name. Revocation of your station license or suspension of your operator license may result when correspondence from the FCC is returned as undeliverable because you failed to provide the correct mailing address."

Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mtnwkr wrote:
NWGunner wrote:

I was just doing some studying and keeping your address up to date was a question on the test. Am I not understanding something here with your advise?

"47 C.F.R Section 97.21 requires you to file timely for an update of the license as necessary to show your correct mailing address, name, club name, license trustee or custodian name. Revocation of your station license or suspension of your operator license may result when correspondence from the FCC is returned as undeliverable because you failed to provide the correct mailing address."

You need to have a valid mailing address at all times.

That's all it's saying.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

so what's the next level (or two) radio up from UV-5R? >$100?

Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’d say the next step up is a Yaesu FT-65R or FT-4XR. I got the former new on sale for $80, currently going for $90 on hamradio.com. Much better than the Wouxuns and Baofengs but shares charger dock and antenna port. Despite what some online reviewers say, they are not simply rebadged Baofengs.

New production dual band analog only ham handhelds are quickly disappearing from the market, but there are a lot of great used options around $200-$300.

Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another choice around 80 + 20-30 for an antenna you need to place on a metal surface (1/4 wave ground plane antenna) is a cheap mobile like a KT-8900 that will easily put out 3-6x the power of the Baofengs, but requires an external power 12v (usually 13.something optimal). This will probably be the biggest range increase for transmitting through repeaters in the lower end of the market.

Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Btech DMR-6X2 .... around $200 but supports dmr, encryption, aprs, and even has a simplex repeater built in.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next