Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 38  Next
 Secure radio communications : A primer 

Radio programming options
A) Only has a couple channels, and that's to communicate with family or friends 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
B) A, Plus local stuff in your county 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C) A and B plus stuff in your surrounding counties 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
D) The kitchen sink ( Federal interop, State Patrol, DNR, CBP, etc) divided into manageable zones. 83%  83%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 35

Secure radio communications : A primer 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I checked the feature set and the only difference in the WaGuns codeplug and my radio is the H35

Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:

You can either drag/drop, which I can show you how, or I can redo the radio so it won't happen inthe future, or, if you have teamviewer, I can log in and do it for you.

So where do I drag and drop my radio to get it to work?

Off the roof?

Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
I checked the feature set and the only difference in the WaGuns codeplug and my radio is the H35

Flashcode is different. It handles a lot more than just the system package (H35,H38,etc)

Open 2 instances of CPS.

In one instance, READ your radio.

In the second instance, OPEN the saved file...

Attachment:
drag1.jpg

Once it's open, drag the serial number of the radio from the main tree view, to the serial number of the main tree view of YOUR radio..

Attachment:
drag2.jpg

You will hear some beeping, and the status at the bottom of the CPS window will display 'drag and drop'...

Once it's complete, you will get a drag and drop report.

These items are NORMAL to have errors, since some things will not get copied..

Attachment:
drag3.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Last edited by TechnoWeenie on Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is that going to change the serial number of my radio?

Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Is that going to change the serial number of my radio?

No.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got it

Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You will have to manually change your ID numbers....

Those are listed in....

Conventional -> MDC -> MDC SYSTEM -> (MDC System 1, MDC System 2) -> General

Attachment:
id1.jpg

and...

Conventional -> Astro Systems-> ASTRO SYSTEM -> (ASTRO System 1, ASTRO System 2, etc) -> General

Attachment:
ID2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And Soft ID/Radio ID display...

The Soft ID is what shows on other radios when you key up, when in Astro (digital) mode. This can be set to alphanumerics.

The Radio ID display is ONLY for that radio, and will display on the radio. eg if you have 2 radios, you can set one as RADIO 1 and other as RADIO 2, and it will show 'RADIO 1' on radio 1, and RADIO 2, on radio 2....on the display of the radio... Radio ID display is disabled by default so if you wanna use it you'll have to enable it first by clicking the checkbox.

Attachment:
id3.jpg

Thomas Paine wrote:

Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Baofeng UV5R - $18.58

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Dual-Radio-Black/dp/B007H4VT7A

As much as I dislike them, for less than $20 delivered to your door, it's a great entry into radio.

It will also work on MURS and FRS (although technically not legally)

These are not secure, or digital, BTW.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So...

How mad would ya'll be if....

A member gave me some information....which, in researching if what he said was true or not, made me start searching (again)....

and.. I found a radio with a ton more features, better encryption, for less money.... (But doesn't do WSP, or federal interop)

It would fit a lot better for hams, and people that are using it primarily for communications, and not monitoring.. BUT, it would do FRS/GMRS, which the XTS5K won't do because it's single band, and supports APRS (txt messaging, location mapping) out of the box...

Thomas Paine wrote:

Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well? WTF is this magic wand TW? :popcorn:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
Well? WTF is this magic wand TW? :popcorn:

I need to know if people are gonna start gathering with their pitchforks, first...

:bigsmile:

It's not a perfect solution, and I'd still keep my XTS5k, because it does have capabilities that the other radio doesn't... But, for us, as a group, I think it's a better fit.. ESPECIALLY given the data modes like texting and GPS location enabled right out of the box..

and..... it's a #(%& baofeng... damnit!

https://baofengtech.com/product/dmr-6x2/

The XTS5K, being a commercial radio, is gonna be close to impossible for the average person to learn all its ins and outs. I've used them and programmed them for almost 15 years and there's still stuff I forget to check/double check when I'm programming, and have to fix.... The fact that it's P25 is both an asset, and a liability. In this case, P25 isn't something supported by amateur radio. That's a huge asset because the odds of someone having the right equipment to even START the decoding process is pretty low. But, there are maybe 3 P25 repeaters in WA..There are DOZENS of DMR repeaters. I was helping another member with a hotspot (portable repeater), and it took me like 2 hours just to get it to acknowledge, and he's been dicking with it, and I don't even know if he's got it set up properly yet.. But, if it was DMR instead of P25, it'd take like 5 mins and he'd be on the air...

DMR has more support, and end users are much more likely to be able to get up and running with very little help. I feel that, with the XTS5000, I'm pretty much babysitting..

Which, I don't mind, per se, but without add'l support, a lot of the features that the XTS5K supports, like text messaging, calling, etc. aren't going to implemented, whereas with DMR, they're already implemented and found throughout the area... The aforementioned hotspot...Would need a private server, customized setup, etc for EACH person that has one, if it were to be used for P25..With DMR, it'd almost be plug and play.

Given the current situation.. I think having a way to communicate is essential, and pushes being able to monitor WSP or FedGov way down on the priority list... Something that not everyone will need.. Maybe something for someone who's doing logistics or SIGINT, but not the guys in the field, so to speak.

Edit: I just dove off the deep end, spend way too long researching this...

Apparently it's NOT a Baofeng, it's a rebranded AnyTone 868... Which, is actually a little higher quality...

However, the AnyTone 878UV+, appears to be the replacement for the 868, DOES have a bluetooth option, which is included for a couple extra bucks... Meaning you can have the radio in your pocket, and use some AirPods or whatever your favorite bluetooth earpiece is, and not raise any suspicions at all.. OR, use a bluetooth speaker mic.... no wires....

Edit : NOT the 878S, as that's a single band version.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Last edited by TechnoWeenie on Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I won't get the pitchfork out yet... The xts 5000 probably has a better receiver if I had to wager, and I feel like anything this does I can probably fill in the voids ( mostly) with my other motorola the xpr 7550e.

Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was under the impression we didn’t want gps capabilities for our comms

Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The XTS5k is hands down the better radio, in terms of performance, and virtually every other metric compared to the other radio.

The XTS5K lacks easy messaging capability, easy end user adjustability, easy encryption changes, DMR support, and an additional band to work on (One that's capable of monitoring what Antifa use most).

Thomas Paine wrote:

Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 38  Next