Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
 Secure radio communications : A primer 

Radio programming options
A) Only has a couple channels, and that's to communicate with family or friends 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
B) A, Plus local stuff in your county 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C) A and B plus stuff in your surrounding counties 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
D) The kitchen sink ( Federal interop, State Patrol, DNR, CBP, etc) divided into manageable zones. 83%  83%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 35

Secure radio communications : A primer 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NotAMerc wrote:
I was under the impression we didn’t want gps capabilities for our comms

Not on the XTS5K. It's a power hog, and proprietary, requiring infrastructure to support.

The APRS beacon set up can be user initiated, so it only sends when you want it to. The SMS function allows semi-discreet messaging, and being DMR it'd be easier to set up encrypted repeaters, even portable ones..

The anytone can also easily be set up for packet operation on a phone, tablet, or laptop.. Allowing broader modes of operation.... But that's an advanced feature.

For tactical comms, the XTS5K is stlll better in virtually every respect.

For routine/daily comms, the other radio wins.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:16 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

TW spent HOURS yesterday helping me get my radios setup. I never realized how much there was to this if you wanted to go down that rabbit hole. In the end, ended up with a plethora of knowledge that I have probably forgotten by now, and a bunch of working radios!

Thanks man!

Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:36 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The D878UV also has another feature I was just made aware of...

Random encryption.

You program in your encryption keys, and of course the other radios have them programmed as well, and it will randomly select an encryption key, every time you talk. The other radios will RX it, of course, because they have the encryption keys, but it's another level in preventing interception.

Not only is AES-256 pretty damn secure, but part of the hack for figuring out AES-256 is capturing more packets and comparing the packets and comparing them.

Imagine, you key up a dozen times in a convo, and someone is saving the packets, but they're ALL different encryption keys, making the attempted analyzing completely useless...

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bumping this cause it's that time of year again!

Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Things are getting spicy again...'

I'll bump this with an open invitation for people that have any questions.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since Losing power on all days one of the hottest on known in Washington State history (114 in Maple Valley) last month.

What power source would you recommend?

Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:35 am

What kind of radio?

With an ht, you can use a battery eliminator, plug it into a 12v outlet in the car, and run that way.

Charging can be done plugged into an inverter in the car (not the best) or solar chargers exist.

For base/mobile, a small genny into your power supply, or a deep cycle battery works.

Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
Since Losing power on all days one of the hottest on known in Washington State history (114 in Maple Valley) last month.

What power source would you recommend?

Depends on your setup, and need.

As a basic starter set, I would suggest ANYONE get a 100W solar panel, a small inverter, and 2- GC2 batteries from Costco.

That'll set you back about $400, but you'll have enough juice to run radios, a small fridge, charge laptops/cellphones, almost indefinitely (in the summer).

You can get battery eliminators, that take place of the radio battery, for portables, but I don't like them.

There are AA clamshell cases, which work, but usually at a lower power output.

There are also 12V chargers so you don't take that huge efficiency hit going from 12VDC to 120VAC to 9VDC.... which will hit you with about a 30% efficiency loss.

A backup system should avoid inverters AT ALL COSTS, only using DC->DC converters where necessary.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bumping this with a excellent videos

Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NotAMerc wrote:
bumping this with a excellent videos

I think the Anytone AT-D878UVII PLUS would be my choice, now that they're pretty well proven, if you didn't have a want or need to monitor public safety/federal gov't.

Multiple AES keys, rotating keys, remote stun/radio kill, etc. HUGE feature set for such an inexpensive radio.

I will say though, that your security is only as good as your key management plan, and signals can always be found via RDF so brevity is still important.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:10 pm

TW, I have a battery eliminator for my MD-UV380 I've used a fair amount, what do you not like about them?

Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ViniVidivici wrote:
TW, I have a battery eliminator for my MD-UV380 I've used a fair amount, what do you not like about them?

Usually poor build quality, questionable components, and it ties you down to a single location because it removes the portable aspect of it, having to be tied to a power source.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:36 am

Roger, even if OEM?

Definitely ties you down. Just that, a mag mount and hand mic get you a cheap low power mobile.

Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ViniVidivici wrote:
Roger, even if OEM?

Definitely ties you down. Just that, a mag mount and hand mic get you a cheap low power mobile.

OEM chinesium is still chinesium.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:21 am

HA! Can't argue that.

Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next