Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:58 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Generator question 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

james2562 wrote:
I keep two 2,000 watt Hondas. I can tether them together to generate 4,000 watts and 30 amps. They each weigh 40 pounds, are fuel efficient, quiet, and run on gas. Full price for the pair is about $2,100.

Between gas cans for the two stroke tools and vehicles I generally have at least 40 gallons on hand.

Those little Hondas wer the bees knees around 2002 when I had my 5th wheel.
Can tether them for capacity, and a lot quieter that what I had.

I had a little Honda 850 that would put out a lot more than the rating.
Hooked it up to a skill saw and it started bucking and shaking like it was trying to get away. Hahaha

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ended up grabbing this guy from Lowe’s because they will apply the military discount online as well as in store.
And it was in stock shipped to my house for free
https://www.lowes.com/pd/WEN-4750-Watt-Gasoline-Propane-Portable-Generator-with-Oem-Engine/1000858144

Albert Einstein

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:05 pm

I have a champion dual fuel 6750 with electric start. Few things to note:

Always, ALWAYS, treat your fuel with Sta-bil...whether in tanks, cans or in the generator itself.

If its an electric start, spend the 20 bucks for a trickle charger, I'm a big fan of all Schumacher branded battery chargers.

Propane will last forever but is less efficient, gas must be treated.

Whole house breakers are great, but spring for a lockout kit...a 5k generator will power most homes that use gas for heat, stove and hot water... minus the refrigerator and ac

Never, ever, run your generator in your garage...there are ways to do it...but most won't do it right..a piece of black iron welded to you exhaust and plumbed outside isn't enough.

Give your gen a run once a month or so...plug in space heaters to load bank em and give a good exercise.

Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A generator that size will power a half-dozen circuits. To do that You will need a generator transfer switch, outside plug and a cable from the generator to the outside plug. That’s around $300 plus install if you don’t wire it up yourself. If you are just going to plug an extension cord into it, that’s way more generator than you need.

Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tyeayo wrote:

Always, ALWAYS, treat your fuel with Sta-bil...whether in tanks, cans or in the generator itself.

If its an electric start, spend the 20 bucks for a trickle charger, I'm a big fan of all Schumacher branded battery chargers.

Whole house breakers are great, but spring for a lockout kit...a 5k generator will power most homes that use gas for heat, stove and hot water... minus the refrigerator and ac

Never, ever, run your generator in your garage...there are ways to do it...but most won't do it right..a piece of black iron welded to you exhaust and plumbed outside isn't enough.

Give your gen a run once a month or so...plug in space heaters to load bank em and give a good exercise.

Thanks for the info most I already knew but refreshers are nice. I want to plumb it into the house at some point just hard to do because of outlet locations. We heat with wood so no issue there lol

Albert Einstein

Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tyeayo wrote:

Give your gen a run once a month or so...plugin space heaters to load bank em and give a good exercise.

I've said it before. Sta-bil is bad for small carburetors like in generators. I know from experience.

Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never store my gas engines with gas in the tank. I always drain the tank and then run them until the carb is dry before they go into long term storage

Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:35 pm

golddigger14s wrote:
tyeayo wrote:

Give your gen a run once a month or so...plugin space heaters to load bank em and give a good exercise.

I've said it before. Sta-bil is bad for small carburetors like in generators. I know from experience.

Is that right? It's been awhile since I've read up on this kind of thing. I suppose m the question is it worth using to keep your storage fuel fresh? Is there a better alternative? I try to rotate my 50gallons i keep on hand but it doesn't always go that way with the wife, lol

Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RadioSquatch wrote:
Guntrader wrote:
As stated above, most home/camping generators have pull start backup until you get up near 10,000 KVa.
At the former Bon Marche in Seattle we had a 45KW generator for the computer/phone/POS systems that ran on nat gas.
Inline 6 cylinder engine, and a couple shelves of huge batteries.
Probably take 6 guys to pull start that thing.

My Generac 6500/5000 10 HP Tecumseh is a tough pull even with the unloader (opens a valve so easier to start).
Can't imagine pull starting anything bigger.

But yes, all home use electric start gen sets have a pull start also.

Half though about buying a military surplus diesel gene on trailer but it’s a pain to wire those things up

MEPs are easy to wire, and come with free service manuals :D.

They're also diesel, and usually pretty damn quiet.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Propane is great because you don't have to worry about gas quality, old gas, gummed up carbs, and it burns EXTREMELY clean. I've seen crown vics run on CNG/propane with an engine tear down at couple hundred thousand miles, and it looked practically new.

Calculate a 20% loss in efficiency with propane.

Use a good filter.

I get propane for ~$1.70 per gallon, current gas prices are averaging $2.75 per gallon in WA state.

A 20 gallon propane tank holds approximately 4.7 gallons.

Propane 4.7* 1.7 = $7.99
Gas 4.7*2.75 = $12.92

Even factoring in a 20% efficiency loss, fuel at nearly half the cost, is a big win.

Propane
  • Cleaner burning
  • Less expensive
  • Less maintenance
  • Easier to refill/transport
  • Larger capacity tanks for increased runtime

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just picked up one of these “battery generators” for $500 at Costco. Can be recharged via solar.

https://www.costco.com/duracell-powerso ... 73682.html

They also had a tri-fuel (gas, propane, natural gas) generator for $600. Almost bought that but I don’t have space to store it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

generator choice sorta comes down to what your intended use is?
Camping? then a small 1200-2000watts would be adequate to run small appliances like lights

If you're looking to power your home in a prolonged outage then your needs are going to be in the 5000-7000watt range.

Ideally for portable home use, you should wire up a transfer panel to plug your generator into. Then you run a cord (usually 30A) from that panel or transfer switch out to your generator that you run OUTSIDE. This size generator should be able to power most of your house needs, as long as you arent running too many things simultaneously.. Things like dryers, microwaves, hair dryers draw lots of wattage.

Im a fan of the hondas (like the one i recently sold here) Yeah they cost more, but they are quieter, more reliable, and more efficient and start eassier than the cheap Generac type models.

If using a gas powered one, I'd also highly recommend only running Non-Ethanol gas in it. Since they often sit unused for long periods, the ethanol in regular pump gas will have a tendency to clog your carburetors.

Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

chasin Tail wrote:
Camping? then a small 1200-2000watts would be adequate to run small appliances like lights

If you're looking to power your home in a prolonged outage then your needs are going to be in the 5000-7000watt range.

Ideally for portable home use, you should wire up a transfer panel to plug your generator into. Then you run a cord (usually 30A) from that panel or transfer switch out to your generator that you run OUTSIDE. This size generator should be able to power most of your house needs, as long as you arent running too many things simultaneously.. Things like dryers, microwaves, hair dryers draw lots of wattage.

Im a fan of the hondas (like the one i recently sold here) Yeah they cost more, but they are quieter, more reliable, and more efficient and start eassier than the cheap Generac type models.

If using a gas powered one, I'd also highly recommend only running Non-Ethanol gas in it. Since they often sit unused for long periods, the ethanol in regular pump gas will have a tendency to clog your carburetors.

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

chasin Tail wrote:

It’s mostly to power the house when the grid goes down and yes I realize I need a good amount of power I’m not worried about it at the moment, if I can talk the wife into getting one of the drmo military diesel Like 20kw generators for a good price I’m Gonna jump on it

Albert Einstein

Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2