Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:10 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 No garden? No problem 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wife and I have been in the market for some time to buy a piece of dirt to call our own (what a terrible time to be buying a first house on the west side of washington) and so we do not have a garden to drown our own veggies. My step father is heavily involved in the local church and food banks and it is astounding how much food they give out. Reefer trucks filled to the brim with goods from the local stores who get big tax breaks from the goobermint for donating excess or about to expire goods to these food banks.

From pallets of carrots and green beans, pallets of soft drinks, energy drinks, potatoes, onions, cucumbers, apples, pears, peaches, pre seasoned and frozen meats. It's free. And from what I have witnessed the majority of go quick on food bank days are the consumable goods the soda and energy drinks always go first, while the veggies sometimes go un touched for hours.

Willing to put in a little prep work? We just processed 10lbs of green beans blanched and frozen, some canned. 50lbs of onions sliced and diced frozen. Bags of potatoes in coldest storage we have available. Dehydrator is currently packed with pear slices.

Is it a ribeye steak? No, but it complements one very well. Quick to grab and throw on the griddle with cutting prep work done and meals cook quick. If the only part I need to buy is the steak and the rest of the heart healthy goods was free and we only needed to invest a Saturday into preserving it for a rainy day I think that is time we'll spent.

Looking to stock up don't be afraid to hit your local food banks!

My wife does in home care with disabled clients, and we even put together packages for her clients. Last week she made apple pies and pear cobblers for her clients, just spread the word. Pack it away for yourself and family, or donate it to others that could use it as well.

In these days of food scarcity and inflated cost, it's good to know about the food bank resource

Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We are members at the Skagit Gleaners. I'm sure other areas may have something similar. We donate 3.5hrs of volunteer hours a month, and $40, or $72 month with no volunteering for 3 "shops" a week. Same basic principle. Stores donate to us, about to go o7t products, products normally sent to the dump, and we get a chance to shop it and bring it home. Cutting into the massive food waste problem in this country, and saves us hundreds a month.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My MIL is involved in running a food bank, a good friend drives semi truck for another and my sister did the books for a another food bank for years.

I was always too proud to get food from a food bank an honestly, was never in a position that I could not feed my family well by myself.

BUT after seeing what is WASTED after the "POOR" people ravage the deli meats, microwave garbage and cookies and sodas/energy drinks, I was disgusted.

They DONT touch fresh salad, veggies, grains, beans, breads, and meat that needs prepped.

I have NO problem bringing home those foods now that I know they are just being given to my neighbors pig farm or the landfill.

I can afford good food, but feel guilty for not preparing good food that LAZY people just dont want to prepare/cook.

Trust me, Ive been in the food truck or bank helping or visiting my people many times when the new dualies, escalades, beemers with big rims, etc roll up and only want all the deli meats, boxes of cereal, and starbux colddrinks.

Ive seen my share of less fortunate people in the line also, but there are plenty of scummy freeloaders taking advantage of the programs to.

Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]