Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Rifle reloading questions 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, so I've been loading on DL550C now for a while. I'm getting the itch to start rifle calibers now. 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm Rem Mag, and 308.
My plan was to reuse my scales, reloading blocks, calipers. Not sure if I want the kits that are available. I was planning on buying the Rockchucker that Marc is selling, but the more I think about it, maybe the Lee Classic Turret press.

Would this be a better route to go?

I still would need to buy a new powder thrower (I like my dillon beam scale) I'll buy a trickler. Any suggestions on which?

Also, would I want a 3 station turret setup? Use my thrower off press and funnel load my cartridges?

Which trimmer do you guys recommend? Redding seems good but kind of spendy

The assortment of hand tools (chamfer, reamer, deburring, etc) I can find these pretty cheap

I have an RCBS hand primer.

Do I need a concentricity tool?

Thanks

NRA Range Safety Officer
Good guy with a gun

Sun May 20, 2018 6:51 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Forgive my Dillon ignorance . . . will the DL550C not do those rifle calibers?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun May 20, 2018 7:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Steve, from my understanding, the 550C will do it, but for getting precision seating depths and consistency throughout the process, everyone I spoke to says go single stage. I think many people reload 223/556 on these, but ARs maybe aren't as finicky? I might be totally wrong here in the reasoning, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

MadPick wrote:
Forgive my Dillon ignorance . . . will the DL550C not do those rifle calibers?

NRA Range Safety Officer
Good guy with a gun

Sun May 20, 2018 7:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can use the 550 as a powder thrower. I have set mine up for 22-250 and just seated them a little long then did a final depth and crimp in the Rockchucker. Worked like a charm and no extra money spent. If you are doing small batches of trimming the RCBS trimmer with a 3 way head is bad ass. For large batches the Giraud is sweet.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sun May 20, 2018 8:02 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Personally I'd just start loading on the 550, then change later if you want to . . . but you probably won't want to.

mcyclonegt wrote:
You can use the 550 as a powder thrower. I have set mine up for 22-250 and just seated them a little long then did a final depth and crimp in the Rockchucker. Worked like a charm and no extra money spent. If you are doing small batches of trimming the RCBS trimmer with a 3 way head is bad ass. For large batches the Giraud is sweet.

That's funny, I think using a powder thrower would be the one reason NOT to use the 550, since the powder throw will vary slightly from shot to shot. Enough to matter? Well, that depends on the round and how good of a shot you are. However, I'd be more concerned about the powder thrower than the seating depth or crimp.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun May 20, 2018 8:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My 550 powder thrower has been damn accurate. I imagine it can vary depending on powder type though. Have only tried it on a few. I have not gotten into ultra precise reloading yet. When I do I will break out the Uniflow and start making comparisons against my charge master and dillon thrower.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sun May 20, 2018 8:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have 3 550's and only load AR fodder on one. My precision rifle loads are done on a Rock Chucker, with Hornady bushing conversion. The Dillon powder throwers don't like Varget, so I use my Charge Master and a powder through die on the 550 for AR stuff. Not very fast, but works. If you do go with a Rock Chucker, find a newer model, that has the removable die seat. Then buy a Hornady bushing conversion and bushings for what ever you want to load. Much more convenient, you set up your dies once, double check em when you go to use em again.

"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do for any fellow being, let me do it now ... as I shall not pass this way again." - William Penn

Mon May 21, 2018 4:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Notice the giant nut on the die station, this is what you want to look for.
http://bisonballistics.com/articles/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme
Then use this
https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-044099-Lock-N-Load-Conversion-Kit/dp/B000PD1XAI

"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do for any fellow being, let me do it now ... as I shall not pass this way again." - William Penn

Mon May 21, 2018 4:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I had the Dillon 550C I wouldn't hesitate to use if for precision rifle loading. If worried about consistent seating depth then just use a Lee Dead Length Seating Die. The die is set so it comes in firm contact with the shell holder and then seating depth adjusted with the adjustable plug. The Dead Length die doesn't have a crimping ring in it like other seating dies often do.

As for powder measuring, just put the funnel attachment in the powder drop station and use a powder measure/scale combo like the RCBS chargemaster. Get the basic one they just recently introduced that doesn't have the fancy load storage memory. Just dispenses powder onto a scale nice and accurately.

As for loading accurate ammo on a progressive, I've been doing it for years now on my Dillon 650. 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. I just use a funnel and weigh my charges before dropping them into the case. Most people use single stage presses for their rifle because of cost. Since I had the 650 already for pistol and .223/556 I just added the funnel adapter and funnel for the more precision ammo. That said, at last count I have 4 bench presses plus a hand press. I use them all and get nice accurate ammo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Mon May 21, 2018 6:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are also single stage conversations for Dillon presses if space is an issue. This one is a hundred bucks. Kinda cool.
http://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1553

There may be cheaper options.

Mon May 21, 2018 8:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TwizDD wrote:
If you do go with a Rock Chucker, find a newer model, that has the removable die seat. Then buy a Hornady bushing conversion and bushings for what ever you want to load.

I have wondered what year they went to the bushing? My press is stamped 75 and it has the removable bushing. The lock and load conversion is pretty nice. Cabelas has the best deal. 6 adapters plus 1 bushing for 20 bucks vs 10 adapters for 40.

Mon May 21, 2018 8:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Am I getting the old Chuckers with the bicycle grip confused with the RS or JR? That may very well be the case :doh1:

Mon May 21, 2018 6:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Been using the rockchucker for close to 25 years, and it was bought used. Use it for everything! It's slow but I get done what I need toi do.

Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:09 pm

A Rockchucker will always be handy to have on your reloading bench. You can use it for sizing your range pickup brass or even forming cases.

Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I reload a lot of rifle brass, lager calibers, alot, couple k on a slow year a lot.
I've got a nice Dillon, that there's no fucking way in hell I would put it through sizing the brass, warranty or not.
I've got an RCBS that's sole purpose is hunting cartridge reloading, nothing more, everything else goes thru the Dillon.
Presses are bolted to large and heavy bench with a 1" hard wood table top, I can move the bench sizing mag brass.
Hell, I've done a few rounds of sizing where the die was almost too hot to touch.
Knock yerself out if you want to use the Dillon, but I do believe you'll wear it out fast on the mag brass, if not break it.
Yes, it has a warranty, but then you are down and dead in the water.
As far as powder measuring, nothing like pistol that throws easy and accurate when you are dropping long extruded powder and hitting 3-4 grs heavy or light. And if you are already running a compressed load, 3-4 grs high isn't good.
I use a standard RCBS throw and electronic scale, for each and every load.
When you're dropping std 7828, one friggin pellet is a full grain.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next