Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:35 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Hornady LNL AP Lessons, Tips & Tricks 

The shims that Hornady sends (free) work great. I only need them on 2 of my powder drops.

The case tip gizmo is also free from Hornady.

Hornady is very good at providing service and warranty parts. The key being to be able to describe the problem clearly and ideally to be by the press when you call in case they want to walk you through something. Also, if you know what you want/need and have the part number it is very easy to get the replacement part from the person who first answers rather than waiting for someone who knows what's needed and/or can look it up.

Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:30 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've been having trouble recently with my LNL powder measure; as I lower the press handle, it drops the powder correctly. However, when i raise the press handle the powder measure will return v-e-r-y slowly to its original position.

This means that if I'm loading with any speed at all, I'll outrun it -- it won't have time to refill itself between rounds, and I'll get rounds that don't have powder in them, or don't have a full charge. Yes, this happened to me several times this past week. :(

I took the powder measure apart multiple times and cleaned it. Every time I did that, it would run better for a short period of time. I messed with the drum, I adjusted the linkage, I played with the drop tube, etc. I called Hornady and asked for advice, and they weren't able to help me.

I finally concluded that the problem is the friction between the drop tube and the housing it rides in; every time the powder measure is activated, it actually tilts to the side a little and causes the drop tube to rub. I noticed that the Hornady instructions say to put dry lube on the drop tube, which is the area indicated by the red arrow in this pic:

I've never put anything on there, so I tried some moly dry lube. Again, it worked better for a short time.

So, I tried just a little dab of Gun Butter (which I got compliments of Nitro_Guns, thanks Randy!) on the outside of the drop tube. And man, it slicked it right up! The powder measure has been running like a champ for about 500 rounds now.

This powder measure has about 90,000 rounds on it . . . maybe it's just tired? Needs a little more lube than it did when it was young? I dunno. But I thought I'd share.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2