Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Feeding a pair of old 30-06's 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Schoolboy wrote:
redstar wrote:
Wow was just doing reloading for my garands...here's what I run.
1. Resized KAC brass...military.
2. 45 gr IMR 4895.
3. Speer 150gr hotcores.

Runs great in both my H&R and SA.

hope that helps. Be interested to see your results.

That looks like a pretty solid load from my reading, and my results are below.

MadPick wrote:
Oh man, Schoolboy, you're a lot more motivated than I am!

I make Garand loads . . . and then shoot them out of all my .30-06 rifles, Garand or otherwise!

I thought about doing that but since I am planning a big range of loads for the bolt action that would hurt an M1 I decided to separate church and state by running commercial brass in the bolt and mil spec in the M1. Now that might go out the window as my supply drys up and I start buying starline cases but we will see....

I took advantage of the Marysville Rifle Club's public day by shooting for 5hrs straight. I warmed up with my .22lr, then got serious and moved to the 30-06 bolt gun, my 1886 in 45-70 was next, and the M1 was last. In retrospect I probably should have gone .22lr, M1, 45-70, then the bolt action because I was tired by the time I got to the M1 and it got hard to focus on the targets.

Attachment:
20220210_135714_HDR.jpg

The M1 was fired at the 100yrd line targets

Attachment:
20220211_212833_HDR-1.jpg

In the photo above are the "combined" group results for the m1's 150gr loads of 43.0gr and 44.8gr's. I only managed to get 5 shots on the paper with the 43.0gr loads. Of the 5 shots 3 of them were outside the circle at the bottom of the paper. I don't remember where the spotter said the other 2 landed. But this led me to try adjusting the sights (to sperate the groups) where I found the elevation knob screw was lose. So I used a thumb nail to tighten it up as I added about 3 clicks. Of the 44.8gr loads shot next I got 6 shots on the paper, with one off the paper and one round the gun tried to eat when chambering. It was stuck projectile down in the area foward of the magazine with the butt of the case up in the air like a reverse stove pipe pistol round. It was just damn odd and 1st foul up of its kind so far. (Pics are below) Needless to say this didn't sit well with me but the deed was done.
Attachment:
20220211_213404_HDR-1.jpg

Attachment:
20220211_213417_HDR-1.jpg

After a minute breather I loaded the 46.6gr rounds and took aim at the red diamond target and came away with the 5.5" group below.
Attachment:
20220211_212838_HDR-1.jpg

Fatigue was really setting in now but I had the range to myself at this point, so the RSO helped me hang two fresh targets for the 168gr smk loads. Starting with the bottom target in the photo below, the lower group repersents the starting 39.6gr load. The RSO who was spotting for me said I got 7 shots I got on target. The 8th was just off the paper. Having learned my lesson earlier I cranked about 5 clicks of elevation into the sight to get some seperation between the groups. The upper cluster of 7shots on the lower target represents the 42.1gr group. The 8th shot can be seen at the bottom right corner of the upper target paper. The 42.1gr group had the diagonal stringing where you can see two separate clusters of 3 shots. So I'm not sure what to think of that. For the last group (44.6gr) I moved to the top target and managed to keep them all on paper but thats not saying much....
Attachment:
20220211_213014_HDR.jpg

With my ammo and shoulder exhausted the RSO and I went down to retrieve my targets. I was grumbling a bit about doing a crap job. The old guy chuckled picked up the worst target and held it up to his chest. He said man you've taken a beating today and you managed to keep all your shots from an 80yr old battle rifle inside a target that back in the day would still have resulted in a dead Nazi, you did good.... I couldn't argue with that logic, but I would still like to shrink these groups down to 3" or so.

Bolt gun results tomorrow.....

If you ever want to get out for a quieter day at the range where you can check/reset targets freely let me know. I’m a member at MRC and always down to go shoot garands or whatever else. I open the range, you buy lunch afterwards? :bigsmile:

Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:15 pm

Sinus211 I sent ya a pm

Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:38 pm

You are trying to get accuracy out of a battle rifle working it up using iron sites and two different bullet weight loadings. You are making it hard on yourself. I load 30-06 for a 1955 Remington 721. I used to load different bullet weights but it became a PITA so I picked a Lee bullet mold that gives me a 160 grain bullet and stay with that weight. For hunting I have 160 grain spitzers. Instead of staying with one powder I found a node that works for accuracy and I am able to substitute four or five powders and stay on that node.

You really do not have enough brass to do much. One of the guys here should be able to source you more brass.

One of the guys mentioned checking the throat I think I would also want to cast the chamber and slug the barrel too.

Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:49 pm

Actually for this round of testing I'm sticking to just the 168gr SMK but I'm testing 3 different powders I have on hand. Brass also isn't an issue, I just haven't broke into my stash of lake city yet.

I did get everything loaded up and organized last night for the m1. As a bonus I got a few loads for the bolt action done as well using commercial brass, varget and the 168gr SMK at a C.O.L of 3.30". Powder charges are: 45.5, 47.0, 48.5, 50.0gr.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:37 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

hartcreek wrote:
You are trying to get accuracy out of a battle rifle working it up using iron sites and two different bullet weight loadings. You are making it hard on yourself. I load 30-06 for a 1955 Remington 721. I used to load different bullet weights but it became a PITA so I picked a Lee bullet mold that gives me a 160 grain bullet and stay with that weight. For hunting I have 160 grain spitzers. Instead of staying with one powder I found a node that works for accuracy and I am able to substitute four or five powders and stay on that node.

You really do not have enough brass to do much. One of the guys here should be able to source you more brass.

One of the guys mentioned checking the throat I think I would also want to cast the chamber and slug the barrel too.

Could you explain further about this “accuracy node?” Are you saying you’re getting the same velocity out of 4-5 different powders using identical charge weights? Not quite sure what you’re saying there.

Also not sure why he’d want to cast the chamber. If he’s keeps his fired brass separated between the 2 rifles he can just neck size the fire formed brass, seat the bullet almost to the lands, and the throat erosion shouldn’t be much of an issue assuming the the loaded rounds aren’t too long to fit and feed. And why would he want to slug the barrel? I don’t think there’s any question of what caliber these rifles are. What good would slugging the barrel do?

Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:53 am

I am getting the same accuracy using at least five different powders with different specific grains of powder using the same weight bullet and same velocity. I am using mixed bag brass but I went through all my different head stamps to establish case capacity so I know that on the node I am using I will not have any over pressure issues.

By him doing a chamber cast he will be able to actually measure the wear of his chamber includjng the throat instead of just measuring his shot brass.

The problem with only measuring the brass is that there is no way top account for spring back.

Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:01 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

hartcreek wrote:
I am getting the same accuracy using at least five different powders with different specific grains of powder using the same weight bullet and same velocity. I am using mixed bag brass but I went through all my different head stamps to establish case capacity so I know that on the node I am using I will not have any over pressure issues.

By him doing a chamber cast he will be able to actually measure the wear of his chamber includjng the throat instead of just measuring his shot brass.

The problem with only measuring the brass is that there is no way top account for spring back.

So it sounds like you’re saying the 160gr bullet you cast likes a particular velocity, but it takes different grains of different powders to achieve that velocity. Is that what you meant by node?

The “spring back” of the brass isn’t an issue if you use brass that is fire formed for your chamber and only neck size it. Nothing to measure. Nothing to cast. Using fire formed brass that is only neck sized means the case won’t expand and drop pressure since it’s already formed to the chamber of your rifle.

Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:36 pm

If you are looking for problems with accuracy yes you can just measure the fireformed case but it is not as accurate as casting the chamber.
7.65x53 Mauser
Yes the bullet I cast works well over a range in velocity. I use the same bullet for .308, 30-06 7.62x39, 7.62x54R , 7.65x53 Mauser and cast out of zinc .3000 BO I have two sizers and size this .311 diameter bullet as needed.

in 30-06 I am running 2600 fps and I have used Hybrid 100V, 4831, H414, 4064, 4350 and BLC(2)

It could just be the barrel harmonics of my specific 721 but I have given rounds to a friend of my nephews and the node worked fine in his 721. He used it to drop his first deer.

Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:33 am

Is it normal to see chronograph speeds 150-250fps less than the reloading manual for a given powder?

Last edited by Schoolboy on Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:15 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Schoolboy wrote:
Is it normal for see chronograph speeds 150-250fps less than the reloading manual for a given powder?

Sure, that wouldn’t surprise me. You could be using a different barrel length, different barrel type/diameter, different primer, different bullet, etc.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:31 am

MadPick wrote:
Schoolboy wrote:
Is it normal for see chronograph speeds 150-250fps less than the reloading manual for a given powder?

Sure, that wouldn’t surprise me. You could be using a different barrel length, different barrel type/diameter, different primer, different bullet, etc.

All very true, I just kinda figured the M1 garand section would be alot closer if they were actually using a garand.

So my trip to the range started off with great. I had the place practically to myself, the weather broke into sunshine and I managed to call in a favor that netted me the use of a coworkers labradar that had zero updates to the software. I started off with 5rnds loaded with 42.1gr of IMR4895 these actually grouped up with one big flyer. But I knew my sights were set relatively dead on, and now I had the labradar reading nicely too. With that established I got to work running through the loads with the first two going smoothly. On the third set of imr loads the trigger group fell out of the rifle with ammo still in it. icon_eek. This would be the start of my troubles. From that point forward the trigger guard would either come unlatched or fall out altogether at least once per five shot string for the rest of the day. Oh but it gets better because the rear sights would shoot loose also at least once per string. :cussing: I kept hoping things would settle in and get better but ya no. My groups for the varget loads were so bad that at one point I had fired 15rnds at one target and only had 3 or 4 holes showing. It was about this time the RSO could see I was getting very frustrated and offered some very constructive criticism that paid off on my 5th string of varget loads in the form of a four shot 3" group. Unfortunately because he had me rearrange the way I had the bench laid out I only got one velocity reading for that load, and I'm not sure it wasn't actually from the guy next to me. I settled down, hung 2 new targets and proceeded to end the day with the last 4 strings of AA2495 that actually grouped ok considering how tired and frustrated I was at this point. I'm also fairly confident they could have performed even better based on the crono numbers. I was seeing extreme spreads in the 30-40's with standard deviations of 13 and 16fps on the AA2495 loads. Which was worlds better than the 160-180fps extreme spreads with varget or even the 79-179fps spreads on IMR4895.

So below you will see my target papers laid out on the table. As you look left to right they go from imr4895 to varget then with AA2495. I tried to use black sharpie to distinguish the groups but you'll see the two target papers for varget are an absolute mess. I'm kinda proud of the 4th imr string as I had a 1" three shot group going till the trigger fell out. I think my 2nd and 3rd AA groups also show great promise as well.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:18 pm

I've read that guy's would stack up cuts from playing cards under the trigger housing to tighten up the fit so that the gun would be more accurate, but also so that it wouldn't come apart. Well instead of playing cards I found two small thin scraps of model airplane plywood that I stuck in there. This definitely tightened the lockup of the trigger group. But we'll see if it stays in place under recoil and the pressure of the 5rnd enblocks. My fix for the rear sights coming loose is gonna be more, um well cheating..... I'm installing my primary arms 3x micro prism using the cogburn mount for the sake of shooting the groups. It could definitely use more eye relief but it is what is. I think most Acogs are the same way.

As for my next round of loads with the 168gr SMK, I've settled on:

IMR4895
44.5gr, 5rnds for sight in, 5 more for groups
45.0, 45.5, 46.0, 46.5gr's

Varget (almost a complete re-do)
45.0, 45.5, 46.0, 46.5, 47.0gr's

AA2495
42.0, 42.5, 43.0, 43.5, 44.0

The HXP brass is already preped and the WLR primers are seated. Powder and projectiles happen tomorrow.

One thing I would very much like to try is annealing this brass with the AMP machine to see if it makes a difference.

Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:39 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Damn . . . yeah, that sounds like a very frustrating day at the range!

In spite of all of that, though, you did some good shooting. thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:47 am

Wood products will further compress. Aluminum flashing is easy to cut and will work better for shimstock. You can also use brass or copper. Also BLUE loctite what you do not want to loosten up.

Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:20 pm

Well the rounds are made, the cheater is attached, and a redneck got ahold of the stock. :ROFLMAO:

Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next