Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Did I screw up? (brass to hot) 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I finally bit the bullet and got a wet tumbler. Tumbled 100 rounds of .45 ACP and put them in my toaster oven to dry. The pan I put them in didn't allow the door to close fully, but I figured it would let the moisture out. Came back an hour later and my once shiny brass was now discolored due to heat. I put the timer on for 30-40 minutes and the brass was still hot to touch. Did I ruin this brass?

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

no, you may have annealed it slightly, but ruin no....

one question: What's the hurry? I clean my brass and let it dry for several days, then I sort it and put it away so when I go to reload I have a supply ready to go

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:40 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your brass may look fugly but it is NOT ruined.
As Casey mentions, letting brass sit for several days works if you have the space available. I have my “ROOM” heated in winter (58-62*) and I let it dry in there for a few days. Of course I clean 500-1000 cases per batch so I need a 2’x4’ table to spread it out on, my toaster oven is a hassle with so much brass.
In the case that I have a smaller batch I will spread them out in a large pan that fits perfectly in my toaster oven but I always turn the heat down to 200° for an hour or hour and a half and it works perfect no discoloration at all.
Good luck on your next batch. :wink05:

Attachment:
0B501A44-C553-4B49-8854-9E43AB940A2F.jpeg

Attachment:
1B19F0EA-C22C-4022-B188-3EEE89499550.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:10 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wouldn't be so quick to say that you didn't ruin it.

Any idea what temp the toaster oven was at?

You don't want to heat the brass up too much, or it gets soft. You might try just pinching a case with your fingers to see if it deforms . . . not a scientific test for sure, but if it collapses under finger pressure then I'd say it's definitely no good.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selling my nephew a 1911. Told him I would supply the stuff for 100 rounds, if he loaded it. We're going to load it tonight. No deformation with as pressure as I could! Whew!! Thanks guys!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:57 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

For the record, based on what we know now, I'm going to vote against loading that brass.

For $10 worth of brass, it's just not worth the risk.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Insufficient information.

What TEMPERATURE was the toaster oven? I doubt it was 600°F+.

Grain structure does change a bit starting after 500°F. I doubt it was 500°F+

BUT I will say even if annealed, .45ACP is NOT a high pressure round.

Stabbing in dark.......toaster was 350°F.

Meh, I have zero worries here.

BUT find a used food dehydrator. I found a brand new unit at a garage sale. $3. Holds lots o'brass. Pretty quick. And brass is golden shiny.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The brass was hot enough to sizzle water. I got a dehydrator! WOO-HOO! Finally a use for it!

Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:39 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

vic_b wrote:
I got a dehydrator!

:thumbsup2:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

vic_b wrote:
I finally bit the bullet and got a wet tumbler. Tumbled 100 rounds of .45 ACP and put them in my toaster oven to dry. The pan I put them in didn't allow the door to close fully, but I figured it would let the moisture out. Came back an hour later and my once shiny brass was now discolored due to heat. I put the timer on for 30-40 minutes and the brass was still hot to touch. Did I ruin this brass?

Discolored due to heat? I seriously doubt it; freshly cleaned brass should barely discolor due to overheating at around 750 degrees and your oven probably doesn't get that hot.

Discolored due to reactions from minerals or whatever in the water is more likely; mine does that every time if I oven dry it. It's nothing to worry about.

Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:18 pm

Pablo wrote:
BUT find a used food dehydrator. I found a brand new unit at a garage sale. $3. Holds lots o'brass. Pretty quick. And brass is golden shiny.

Check your local Goodwill store. Picked up a couple of em there for low $$.

Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The military runs brass through a "popper" prior to bulk sales for scraping or recycling. It's an oven of sorts that heats it all to a temp that will explode all unfired rounds and primers that may be in the batch. I don't know the temp they use but the brass is non reloadable afterwards and if you've got man hands you can deform it squeezing by hand.

I'd just scrap bucket it. 45 is cheap and common and not worth the possible injuries. It's 100 rds man, you are tossing out $5 worth of brass.

Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

harleyjasondavidson wrote:
The military runs brass through a "popper" prior to bulk sales for scraping or recycling. It's an oven of sorts that heats it all to a temp that will explode all unfired rounds and primers that may be in the batch. I don't know the temp they use but the brass is non reloadable afterwards and if you've got man hands you can deform it squeezing by hand.

I'd just scrap bucket it. 45 is cheap and common and not worth the possible injuries. It's 100 rds man, you are tossing out $5 worth of brass.

Regardless whether it's $5 or $500, understanding the actual temps needed to damage brass and comparing that to what your oven will do go a long way in figuring this stuff out. It's fine. Funny to watch people freak out over water staining because they think color = heat damage. Most of y'all jumped to conclusions and steered the whole thread wrong.

We're not talking about blueprinting Ferrari motors here; this isn't that complicated. I really think that if someone can't connect the dots between needing at least 750* F to start annealing brass, and most ovens topping out around 600*F at the MAX, they really shouldn't be reloading in the first place because a lot of other details are more complex than this.

Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:11 pm

Exactly Yondering. I would not worry about that brass at all. I dry mine in an old skillet on a burner set on low.

Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That popper will get everything really, really hot! My little oven is nowhere near that hot.

Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next