Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:49 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 300blk case anealing 

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 300blk rifle as I just submitted a form 4 for a 7.62 can and was wondering if anyone here has a an anealer/300blk case trimmer I could exchange beer or something for the use of I have a fair amount of 556 brass that I would like to convert but an anealer is not in the buget.

Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have converted over 3000 cases with no issue and didn’t anneal any of them. Why do you want to anneal?

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Last edited by mcyclonegt on Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:55 pm

Get the Harbor Freight chopsaw/trimmer and an accessory case holder for the caliber. I forget where I bought the latter but the whole setup was less than $70

One more option https://detroitammoco.com/product/300-b ... -included/

Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:47 pm

mcyclonegt wrote:
I have converted over 3000 cases with no issue and have didn’t anneal any of them. Why do you want to anneal?

Longevity of the cases and whatnot? is it not as necessary as the internet makes it out to be?

Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:56 pm

Drb253 wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:
I have converted over 3000 cases with no issue and have didn’t anneal any of them. Why do you want to anneal?

Longevity of the cases and whatnot? is it not as necessary as the internet makes it out to be?

They will last longer if you anneal. But considering how cheap the 1 X mil surp cases have been (until now) the cost and time seems a bit steep. In the sane days you could buy another 1K of cases for the price to anneal 1K cases

Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:06 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Like mcyclonegt, I'm going to give my two cents but not answer your question. :rofl9:

I understand that the reloading market is royally fucked right now, so my two cents may be worth nothing, depending on current availablity and pricing.

I converted a bunch of .223 to 300BLK a few years ago (many hundreds, maybe a few thousand, I don't remember). I bought the Harbor Freight saw, I bought a jig for the case, and I have a Giraud trimmer . . . all probably the best setup at the time, and still a great setup today. Yeah, it worked. But yes, it was a giant pain in the ass.

It seemed like the right thing at the time, when 300BLK was just becoming common and brass wasn't everywhere. But then brass became more available and reasonable, and I realized that this giant pain in the ass just wasn't worth it. From then on, I just bought my 300BLK brass.

I know that you can set up the newer Dillon trimmer to convert brass in a hurry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZgdvX-VjIM

For me personally . . . that Dillon trimmer is the only way I'd do it. Otherwise, I'll just buy my 300BLK brass, and sell my .223 brass as needed.

Another alternative would be to pay someone to do the conversion who has a good setup. Sage's Reloading Supply (https://sagesreloadingsupply.com/) can probably do it for you.d

If you tackle this with run-of-the-mill equipment, though, you're going to put a whole lot of effort into this.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:18 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Drb253 wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:

...... is it not as necessary as the internet makes it out to be?

So I take a self prescribed 2 months off of this sight to refresh/recoup and this question still reigns supreme... :ROFLMAO:

Awww it is good to be back.... :bigsmile:

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:09 am

Thanks for the input guys that place that does sizing and anealing for $110 for 1k pieces of brass sounds like a good deal, too bad I don't have 1k pieces of 223 I can convert. I may just start doing it myself without anealing and do that later on when I accrue enough brass.

Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:19 am

I have been shooting 300 Whispers for years. Way before 300 AAC Blackout came out. You couldn’t buy brass then. You had to make your own. I made 3-400 for competition shooting. A mini tube cutter was used to cut the brass to length before putting on the manual trimmer and deburring.

A long time later I found out about the mini chop saw. I made my own jig before seeing a better one on EBay. Have bought a couple more since then. Have only made about 500 new brass since then.

I load my brass on a Dillon. Easy to set up and load 500 in a few hours. I am still shooting the original brass I made. Some have 10 or more firings on them. I anneal them every 3-4 firings to keep them from work hardening.

Don’t waste the time making brass if you are going to fire it and leave it lay on the ground. Go buy some. It is cheap. Brass is available most of the time as it is now being made by a lot of folks. To me, it is pride and satisfaction of shooting good scores or taking game with loads I made myself.

Have fun. Stay safe.

Steve. :)

Life is a play before an audience of one. When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaud, or stay seated and cry?

Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:42 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shaggy357 wrote:
I have been shooting 300 Whispers for years . . . .

Welcome to WaGuns, Steve! :wavey:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good one Steve. I do hate it when folks do that, and there I go, not actually answering the question. As stated, it is tedious to convert. I had spare time to do it, so I did it. My main goal as of now is to create a stock pile. If that’s your goal, I would not worry about annealing. If you plan to shoot and reload it a bunch, annealing will make your brass longer. So it just depends on what your plan with these is.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:06 pm

I load for three ars in 5.56 so I just set the split case mouths aside and when I get enough convert them to .300 BO as there is one of those in the family too. I have no jig so I just full size them up and then set up my mini chop saw with a fence and shorten the cases enough that I can finish them on my Forstner case trimmer. With reloading components being the way they are you could just get the mini chop saw and a jig and turn out a hundred every other night while watching a movie. I am sure that you will have the cases prepped before you have components to load them.

Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:41 pm

MadPick wrote:
I understand that the reloading market is royally fucked right now, so my two cents may be worth nothing, depending on current availablity and pricing.

Actually I think your two cents gets inflated right along with everything else.....I'd say you're worth a quarter now! :)

Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:46 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

umrek wrote:
MadPick wrote:

Actually I think your two cents gets inflated right along with everything else.....I'd say you're worth a quarter now! :)

It feels good to finally be a valued member of this community! :bigsmile:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
umrek wrote:
MadPick wrote:

It feels good to finally be a valued member of this community! :bigsmile:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :rofl9: :rofl9: :rofl9: :popcorn: :wink05:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]