Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 I f*cked up. Remember your reloading basics! 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

SteelHeadTed wrote:
Thanks for posting this. I am a relative newbie reloader and got into it reloading 9mm. I have a 10mm I'd like to reload for and I've been doing a lot of research. This kind of story just puts an extra bookmark in my head about verifying load data from multiple sources and just being aware of things like AA#7 perhaps being a finicky powder for heavier 10mm bullets.

Thanks for posting! I’m no seasoned reloader and it’s hard to humble up and admit to making a big mistake like this. Just hoping it helps other reloaders not make a big mistake like I did. It’s nice to hear that it may have helped some of you guys moving forward. Cheers brother!

Kolat wrote:
I learned early on that there's no reason not to use blue dot for 10mm, 10 grains under 180s and 9.2 under 200s always worked for me.

Blue dot and longshot. 2 powders that I really wish I could get my hands on! Tough times right now.

Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:22 pm

This may have been covered as I have not read every post. Be careful. The old Blue Dot and the new Blue Dot have diiffernt load data

Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I need to go back and read the whole thread but I want to say:

A and big A: Glad you are OK.

BBBBB: Always follow that specific powder manufacturer's LATEST data. Bullet company stuff is kinda interesting, but that's about it.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kolat wrote:
I learned early on that there's no reason not to use blue dot for 10mm, 10 grains under 180s and 9.2 under 200s always worked for me.

Blue Dot is a good one in the 10, not as good as AA9 by a long shot (see what I did there) but still one of the top 4 or 5 powders anyway. The biggest downside is the large bright flash it produces, and the relatively poor metering compared to most of the other good options. Of course it still meters a lot better than 800x; that stuff can be downright unsafe to use in a progressive if you're near max because it meters so badly. Power Pistol is another one that makes a big bright flash, and doesn't have quite the velocity potential of Blue Dot and others, but it meters really well and produces great accuracy in both the 10 and 357 Sig.

My preferences for heavy bullet 10mm powders (and I don't do mild 10mm loads), starting in order with the best:

AA9
Longshot
AA7
Blue Dot
Power Pistol

All of these can produce great 10mm loads, but AA9 is far and away the best performer with the best characteristics for loading and shooting, as well as the safest to approach max loads with IME. Longshot gets the number 2 spot for having good performance while being more economical, and the rest are further down for various reasons.

Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
BBBBB: Always follow that specific powder manufacturer's LATEST data. Bullet company stuff is kinda interesting, but that's about it.

Eehh, that statement makes me cringe a bit. There is no good "Always follow ..." statement when it comes to data; the powder company data can be just as far off or worse, because of the differences that barrels, bullets, headstamps, and OAL make, especially in high pressure straight wall cases like this. Bullet company data (with the exception of Lee) is more than just interesting, it's valuable if you're using that bullet, and it's worth comparing all available data before you start. The only accurate "Always do xxx" statement I can think of for this stuff is to always work up your own loads. Sometimes the data is accurate, sometimes it's safe to exceed, and once in a while it's too hot for your combination; you don't know until you work up the load.

Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:59 am
FFL / Dealer

I'd have to double check but I probably have 3 or 4lbs of blue dot on the shelf still since I sold my 10mm.

Sinus211 wrote:
SteelHeadTed wrote:
Thanks for posting this. I am a relative newbie reloader and got into it reloading 9mm. I have a 10mm I'd like to reload for and I've been doing a lot of research. This kind of story just puts an extra bookmark in my head about verifying load data from multiple sources and just being aware of things like AA#7 perhaps being a finicky powder for heavier 10mm bullets.

Thanks for posting! I’m no seasoned reloader and it’s hard to humble up and admit to making a big mistake like this. Just hoping it helps other reloaders not make a big mistake like I did. It’s nice to hear that it may have helped some of you guys moving forward. Cheers brother!

Kolat wrote:

Blue dot and longshot. 2 powders that I really wish I could get my hands on! Tough times right now.

Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:32 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moved to Reloading . . . something something mod something . . . .

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Kolat, depending on your location and price, I'll buy a lb of Blue dot from you. Thanks. I'm new to reloading 10mm.

Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4