Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:18 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Swaging Brass, and Primer Pocket Depth 

MadPick wrote:
MadPick wrote:
I've ordered the large and small primer pocket correction tools (aka primer pocket uniformer) from K&M; we'll see if those will help, or if they're worth the effort:
https://kmshooting.com/product/small-pi ... tion-tool/

Well, the tools arrived quickly but it took a while for my lazy ass to try them out. icon_eek

Here's an example of one of my "bad" pieces of Lake City .223 brass. See how the primer pocket gauge sticks out of the pocket just a little? That means that the pocket is too shallow:

Now if I stick that same piece of brass onto the K&M tool, there's a gap of about that same amount:

And when you fire that sucker up, here's what it looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDZ48B56fp4

The K&M tool is set to a depth of 0.122"; recall from earlier in the thread that a small primer pocket should be 0.117-0.123" deep. I did maybe 50 cases, and it removed material from all of them. The example in the pics and video above was among the worst of the bunch.

Very helpful tips, thanks for posting the photos and the primer pocket depth measurements.

Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has this come up in this thread? After swaging I use the PP uniformer on all cases. Mine is not adjustable like the one in the video. Food for thought... :bigsmile:

https://youtu.be/y0vc3959Xrw

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
MadPick wrote:
I've ordered the large and small primer pocket correction tools (aka primer pocket uniformer) from K&M; we'll see if those will help, or if they're worth the effort:
https://kmshooting.com/product/small-pi ... tion-tool/

Well, the tools arrived quickly but it took a while for my lazy ass to try them out. icon_eek

Here's an example of one of my "bad" pieces of Lake City .223 brass. See how the primer pocket gauge sticks out of the pocket just a little? That means that the pocket is too shallow:

Now if I stick that same piece of brass onto the K&M tool, there's a gap of about that same amount:

And when you fire that sucker up, here's what it looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDZ48B56fp4

The K&M tool is set to a depth of 0.122"; recall from earlier in the thread that a small primer pocket should be 0.117-0.123" deep. I did maybe 50 cases, and it removed material from all of them. The example in the pics and video above was among the worst of the bunch.

K&M makes quality tools for precision reloading. I came across some of those primer pocket correction tools but they are for large primer pockets, I have them for sale... :bigsmile:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mustangfreek wrote:
TINCANBANDIT wrote:
weird...I simply use a reamer to remove the extra metal from the crimp, after reaming, some are a little tight going in, but they don't get smashed. So far no high primers or mis-fires.

Reaming is not the way this should be done.

I’ve been using a rcbs swager die for everything for 5 plus years with no problems

No go gage
Tight primers
Never flush , always below

I use a hand primer or press, depending what I’m doing. You can feel the difference in a seated or a “maybe” one, then just run it again.

As I mentioned in an earlier post I’ve used both the Dillon and the RCBS swagger and I believe that’s the Dillon was the most troublesome.
I too have never used a no go, go gauge for primer pockets because I never really had a problem, If by chance I did notice a primer that was not seated to my satisfaction then I would run it back through to make sure it wasn’t an operator error and if it’s still protruding I would deprime it and throw the case in the recycle bucket. It has rarely happened so it is not worth my time to dig into it further because after all it’s just a piece of brass, it could be defective so I throw it away. Done... :wink05:

What it be known that I am a simple caveman and not an engineer in any way shape or form. LOL

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3