Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:36 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 45ACP 

Sorry gentlemen I’m new to the sit and didn’t get my question through correctly. I was invited to the page by cave man Jim, great guy. Lol
Anyway let me try this again. I reload a lot of different rifle calibers and have never had this issue, for some reason I’m having serious issues with my 45 ACP, I’m using “supposedly “ one time fired brass, I’ve resized it, tumbled it, cleaned the flash holes good, flanged it. Some of the brass is large pistol primers and some are small pistol primers. I’m using titegroup pistol powder with 6.0 gr. Which is what the Hornady book recommends for the 230gr bullet.
Now I’ve had the same problem with some of the large primers and the small primers both and that is, when I shoot sometimes it blows the primer out and sometimes it attempts to blow the primers out and sometimes it works perfectly.
I have tried it in 2 different guns, my ruger P-90 and another glock and had the same issue with both guns. Any options, thoughts, or constructive criticism would be appreciated. Thanks
Sorry about the first post, or lack there off. Lol

Last edited by Jim Blevins on Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Need more details. Is it a milsurp gun? Are the rounds reloads or factory ammo?

Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If reloads, What is your load recipe? Powder, charge, bullet weight, primer...

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tag

Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the site Jim!

If you can answer some of the questions above, we can probably help you get your problem sorted out.

Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:59 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a problem like that when i've picked up some brass in the woods that had primers crimped.
I reamed (chamfered?) the primer pockets, but by hand, and over-did it on a a couple and primers did get blown out...

ETA: I went and looked, those are WCC stamped

Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Jim,

On first look, it looks like you are loading way too hot! icon_eek I use copper plated 230 gn. Round nose bullets and 5.0 grains of TiteGroup and that is over listed maximum.

Google "Titegroup powder .45ACP load data" or something similar. Most sources
use Hogdon's data, who makes the powder, and they list 4.8 as the max load.for 230 grain bullets. Also notice that there are different listings, depending on whether you are using leadheads [LRN] or jacketed [FMJ] bullets.
Here's an example of something I got with a quick Google search:

Hodgdon Data:
Bullet Weight (Gr.) Manufacturer Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure
..... 230 GR. HDY FMJ FP Hodgdon Titegroup .451" 1.200" 4.4 744 15,000 CUP 4.8 818 16,700 CUP
..... 230 GR. LRN Hodgdon Titegroup .452" 1.200" 4.0 751 12,500 CUP 4.8 855 17,000 CUP

As I mentioned I worked up to 5.0 grains which is very hot and above listed max. Tiny powder increases cause huge pressure increases. If you are at 6.0 grains, I think you're lucky you haven't had more excitement in your life with that load. BTW, about 4.2-4.4 was the most accurate load in my target gun, but not my EDC.

Welcome to the site and good luck with the load development. Be careful.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree it’s too hot, and also think you should drop that load way back.

Are your primers backing out, or blowing out/pierced? The latter is a pressure sign, but the former can happen at normal pressures if your pockets are too loose. Pierced primers are far more likely to be a pressure sign than a problem with the brass.

Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:48 pm

Traut wrote:
Hi Jim,

On first look, it looks like you are loading way too hot! icon_eek I use copper plated 230 gn. Round nose bullets and 5.0 grains of TiteGroup and that is over listed maximum.

Google "Titegroup powder .45ACP load data" or something similar. Most sources
use Hogdon's data, who makes the powder, and they list 4.8 as the max load.for 230 grain bullets. Also notice that there are different listings, depending on whether you are using leadheads [LRN] or jacketed [FMJ] bullets.
Here's an example of something I got with a quick Google search:

Hodgdon Data:
Bullet Weight (Gr.) Manufacturer Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure
..... 230 GR. HDY FMJ FP Hodgdon Titegroup .451" 1.200" 4.4 744 15,000 CUP 4.8 818 16,700 CUP
..... 230 GR. LRN Hodgdon Titegroup .452" 1.200" 4.0 751 12,500 CUP 4.8 855 17,000 CUP

As I mentioned I worked up to 5.0 grains which is very hot and above listed max. Tiny powder increases cause huge pressure increases. If you are at 6.0 grains, I think you're lucky you haven't had more excitement in your life with that load. BTW, about 4.2-4.4 was the most accurate load in my target gun, but not my EDC.

Welcome to the site and good luck with the load development. Be careful.

Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:19 pm

reginald_burrito wrote:
I agree it’s too hot, and also think you should drop that load way back.

Are your primers backing out, or blowing out/pierced? The latter is a pressure sign, but the former can happen at normal pressures if your pockets are too loose. Pierced primers are far more likely to be a pressure sign than a problem with the brass.

Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:24 pm

On the topic of 45ACP.

Q: Do you guys do anything about burs left on 45ACP brass by ejector? Sometimes after resizing a range brass doesn't "plunk" into case guage all the way and have the rim hung up on these ejector gouges in the rim. It takes a firm finger pressure to push it in and out of the guage then. It doesn't seem to make a difference in the barrel though. I can make them "plunk" again by filing those burs away from the rim circumference - but am not sure if this is just a waste of time. Thoughts?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”

Ronald Reagan Oct. 27, 1964

Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:11 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

SurfPerch wrote:
On the topic of 45ACP.

Q: Do you guys do anything about burs left on 45ACP brass by ejector? Sometimes after resizing a range brass doesn't "plunk" into case guage all the way and have the rim hung up on these ejector gouges in the rim. It takes a firm finger pressure to push it in and out of the guage then. It doesn't seem to make a difference in the barrel though. I can make them "plunk" again by filing those burs away from the rim circumference - but am not sure if this is just a waste of time. Thoughts?

Throw it out. Life's too short for that shit!

Traut wrote:

Like Jim said, you're pretty lucky you've not lost a firearm! Titegroup has a very narrow powder range with a very high pressure spike above that range.
I'm loading X-treme 230 RN bullets over Titegroup 4.6 gr, with 1.265" COAL.
My notes say that the Hodgdon website recommended 4.0 to a max of 4.8gr Titegroup.

Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds a lot like my ex wife. Too hot and too loose. :crybaby:

Divided we fall.

Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have loaded many calibers over the years with titegroup and have basically set it aside for 32 ACP and 380. I am not a fan of it in larger cases. The min max, is way to close together leaving too much room for error. Especially when it says on the bottle, "a little goes a long way". There are some horror stories on the web about guns being blown from a slight overcharge. I will go out on a limb here and say its not a great powder for beginners. I'm not sure why Hornadys site would say 6.0 grains, Hodgdons site says 4.0 min, 4.8 max. Try to make it a habit to use load data from the manufacture on the powder not the bullet. Data changes, over the years and the powder manufacture will keep their info up do date better than the bullet manufacture. Thats my opinion anyways. What year is the manual you are using?

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:02 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rutilate wrote:
SurfPerch wrote:
On the topic of 45ACP.

Throw it out. Life's too short for that shit!

If you decide that the burrs are unacceptable, then I agree . . . except I'd use the brass recycle bucket. :bigsmile:

I haven't noticed it on .45 (I don't put many cases in the gauge), but I've seen this situation a lot of with .223. I've concluded that it's not an issue, and I just ignore it.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next