Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:29 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Wife has okayed starting to reload! 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But my only experience was with 12ga more than 15 years ago.

I'm looking for info from you experts and experienced folks out here.

I missed out on a chance to get a massive Dillon setup for rediculiously cheap.

I am currently looking at the Hornady Lock-N-Load progressive setup. I like it because it is progressive, comes with an auto powder feeder, uses pretty much any standard dies, and it is upgradeable with shell feeders and such.

I understand that there is quite a bit more that I will need.

Brass tumbler
Ultrasonic
Scale (digital or analog?)
Casing tray (s)
Various dies for various calibers
Case wax
Powder
Primers
Bullets
Reloading handbook
Primer tray (was recommended rcbs over Hornady)
And I'm sure I am missing quite a bit, any suggestions?

What we are planning on reloading:
9mm Luger
5.56/.223
.45 pistol
.40 pistol
.30-06

Eventually we will add:
.41 revolver
.351 Winchester
.30-30
7.62x39
7.62x51/.308

I've done my best to do some research on this, but it gets somewhat confusing when you don't actually have the stuff infront of you.

I like the idea of the progressive setup, and would like to make it as simple as possible, so someone with little experience can come in and reload (such as my wife over a weekend) with a small amount of instruction and supervision.

The Dillon setup that we missed out on was set up to swap a single large part out that contained the dies and it was essentially ready to go for another caliber. I would love to be able to set these up in a similar way, if anyone has experience with the Lock-N-Load or comparable system.

EDIT: also had a question that popped up when looking at dies. Regular die vs taper crimp. Does it make that big of a difference?

Spoiler: show
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”
― Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

“The word "good" has many meanings. For example, if a man were to shoot his grandmother at a range of five hundred yards, I should call him a good shot, but not necessarily a good man.”
― G. K. Chesterton

“A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.”
— Rep. Allen West, FL

“Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right.”
— U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, U.S. v. Emerson (1999)

“An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.”
— Jeff Cooper

Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:49 am

I wouldn't get to crazy, until you secure primers and powder

Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:34 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have been reloading for 12 years. I started out on a Hornady LNL progressive, and I have not had any regrets. I added the case feeder a few years ago, which is really nice for volume reloading. It's not a necessity, though. I still haven't felt the need to add a bullet feeder.

Hornady vs. Dillon is like Ford vs. Chevy. You'll hear passionate loyalty from both sides. It does seem that there are more Dillon owners out there, and I have no doubt that they make a great setup too.

From your list:

Brass tumbler: I started with a vibratory tumbler with corncob, then added an ultrasonic, then added a wet tumbler. I use the wet tumbler the most and I love it, but I do still use my vibratory tumbler. Ultrasonic, see below. Wet tumbling gives you gorgeous brass, no doubt, but it does take more effort. I try my brass in a dehydrator. But really, a vibratory tumbler will give you everything you need, and is cheaper and easier.

Ultrasonic: I've found my ultrasonic cleaner to be damned near useless for brass. I still use it for 5.7, which has a special coating on the brass that you shouldn't run through other tumblers, but that's all.

Scale (digital or analog?): Another religious war. I have only ever used digital scales, and I don't have any regrets. Do I have to fuck with them once in a while to make sure they're doing what I want them to do? Yes.

Casing tray (s): I don't use them. These would typically be used if you were using a single stage press, then you'd place all the sized/primed brass in the trays, then add powder by hand. With the progressive press, this isn't an issue.

Various dies for various calibers: Yup, and you can use any brand. I use mostly Hornady dies, and I've been happy with them, especially for the rifle calibers because the seating dies have a nice floating sleeve that helps you get the bullet in straight. I especially like the lock rings on the Hornady dies, and I've bought Hornady lock rings to replace the shitty lock rings on my RCBS dies. One thing to note, if you go with the LNL press -- you'll want to store your dies with the LNL bushings on them. The Hornady die boxes allow you to do that, and RCBS boxes will generally work too. Lee die boxes are too small. I've bought empty Hornady die boxes (yes, they sell them) for all of my Lee dies.

Case wax: For rifle brass, yes, you'll need some kind of case lube. I've used the Hornady One Shot lube, which worked fine for me. But what I really like, for both cost and convenience reasons, is this DIY lube from our very own local 6.5 Guys . . . I bought the exact ingredients and equipment that they show in this video, and they have worked well for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tNDCCchYMQ

Reloading handbook: I have a Lee, Hornday, Lyman and I just inherited a Sierra. The Lee probably has the most useful data in it, as it's basically a compilation of other people's data. Note that many companies also have online data, but it's still nice to have at least one good book.

Primer tray (was recommended rcbs over Hornady): All I've ever used is the square (with rounded corners) RCBS, and it has worked well for me.

"The Dillon setup that we missed out on was set up to swap a single large part out that contained the dies and it was essentially ready to go for another caliber. I would love to be able to set these up in a similar way, if anyone has experience with the Lock-N-Load or comparable system."

^ Yeah, I know it looks good at first glance, but I think the Hornady system is waaayyyy better. It still takes only seconds to swap out the dies with the bushing system, and the beauty of the LNL system is that you can pull a single die out, or put a single die in. Screwed up a bunch of ammo and didn't crimp it properly, and you just need to re-crimp it? On the Dillon, you'll be unscrewing the crimp die from the head and putting it into a spare head, losing your adjustment. On the LNL, you'll just pop in the crimp die and start cranking. There are multiple other situations where the ability to remove or install a single die is helpful, and I love the LNL system for that.

One of the things that makes the Dillon system appear quick is that people buy a separate powder measure for each caliber, and leave it in the head. That gets expensive, and quick. But if you really want to drop that cash, you could do the same with Hornady.

"EDIT: also had a question that popped up when looking at dies. Regular die vs taper crimp. Does it make that big of a difference?"
Let me guess . . . when you were looking at Hornady 9mm dies? :frust: Yeah, Hornady has someone created a real clusterfuck there.

Generally speaking, yes, it makes a difference. Mostly you'll roll crimp revolver rounds, and taper crimp semi-auto rounds. However, in the case of the Hornady 9mm dies, I suspect it doesn't really matter which you buy. I have the original dies (non-TC), and they work fine.

With that said, I've bought Lee factory crimp dies for most calibers, and I crimp with those now rather than with the seating die.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That’s great, do you remember where I live? I’ll help you with any questions and may have a few items that you seek.
Also, I would suggest that you find a classified ad selling a complete set up with every thing you may need.
You may wind up with a lot of unneeded caliber conversions and such but those are easily sold later.
If you like what you find, DO NOT DALLY, someone will snap it up… Trust me on this… icon_eek

Also, Steve is a great knowledge resource!!!

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:53 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Caveman Jim wrote:

For what? Baking cakes.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:09 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nitro_Guns wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:

Beware, the Dillon fanbois have arrived! :rofl9:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:11 pm

MadPick wrote:
Nitro_Guns wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:

Funny that I don't own a Dillion progressive for loading rifle cartridges....But nice try "Betty Crocker"... :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :ROFLMAO:

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
I have been reloading for 12 years. I started out on a Hornady LNL progressive, and I have not had any regrets. I added the case feeder a few years ago, which is really nice for volume reloading. It's not a necessity, though. I still haven't felt the need to add a bullet feeder.

Hornady vs. Dillon is like Ford vs. Chevy. You'll hear passionate loyalty from both sides. It does seem that there are more Dillon owners out there, and I have no doubt that they make a great setup too.

From your list:

Brass tumbler: I started with a vibratory tumbler with corncob, then added an ultrasonic, then added a wet tumbler. I use the wet tumbler the most and I love it, but I do still use my vibratory tumbler. Ultrasonic, see below. Wet tumbling gives you gorgeous brass, no doubt, but it does take more effort. I try my brass in a dehydrator. But really, a vibratory tumbler will give you everything you need, and is cheaper and easier.

Ultrasonic: I've found my ultrasonic cleaner to be damned near useless for brass. I still use it for 5.7, which has a special coating on the brass that you shouldn't run through other tumblers, but that's all.

Scale (digital or analog?): Another religious war. I have only ever used digital scales, and I don't have any regrets. Do I have to fuck with them once in a while to make sure they're doing what I want them to do? Yes.

Casing tray (s): I don't use them. These would typically be used if you were using a single stage press, then you'd place all the sized/primed brass in the trays, then add powder by hand. With the progressive press, this isn't an issue.

Various dies for various calibers: Yup, and you can use any brand. I use mostly Hornady dies, and I've been happy with them, especially for the rifle calibers because the seating dies have a nice floating sleeve that helps you get the bullet in straight. I especially like the lock rings on the Hornady dies, and I've bought Hornady lock rings to replace the shitty lock rings on my RCBS dies. One thing to note, if you go with the LNL press -- you'll want to store your dies with the LNL bushings on them. The Hornady die boxes allow you to do that, and RCBS boxes will generally work too. Lee die boxes are too small. I've bought empty Hornady die boxes (yes, they sell them) for all of my Lee dies.

Case wax: For rifle brass, yes, you'll need some kind of case lube. I've used the Hornady One Shot lube, which worked fine for me. But what I really like, for both cost and convenience reasons, is this DIY lube from our very own local 6.5 Guys . . . I bought the exact ingredients and equipment that they show in this video, and they have worked well for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tNDCCchYMQ

Reloading handbook: I have a Lee, Hornday, Lyman and I just inherited a Sierra. The Lee probably has the most useful data in it, as it's basically a compilation of other people's data. Note that many companies also have online data, but it's still nice to have at least one good book.

Primer tray (was recommended rcbs over Hornady): All I've ever used is the square (with rounded corners) RCBS, and it has worked well for me.

"The Dillon setup that we missed out on was set up to swap a single large part out that contained the dies and it was essentially ready to go for another caliber. I would love to be able to set these up in a similar way, if anyone has experience with the Lock-N-Load or comparable system."

^ Yeah, I know it looks good at first glance, but I think the Hornady system is waaayyyy better. It still takes only seconds to swap out the dies with the bushing system, and the beauty of the LNL system is that you can pull a single die out, or put a single die in. Screwed up a bunch of ammo and didn't crimp it properly, and you just need to re-crimp it? On the Dillon, you'll be unscrewing the crimp die from the head and putting it into a spare head, losing your adjustment. On the LNL, you'll just pop in the crimp die and start cranking. There are multiple other situations where the ability to remove or install a single die is helpful, and I love the LNL system for that.

One of the things that makes the Dillon system appear quick is that people buy a separate powder measure for each caliber, and leave it in the head. That gets expensive, and quick. But if you really want to drop that cash, you could do the same with Hornady.

"EDIT: also had a question that popped up when looking at dies. Regular die vs taper crimp. Does it make that big of a difference?"
Let me guess . . . when you were looking at Hornady 9mm dies? :frust: Yeah, Hornady has someone created a real clusterfuck there.

Generally speaking, yes, it makes a difference. Mostly you'll roll crimp revolver rounds, and taper crimp semi-auto rounds. However, in the case of the Hornady 9mm dies, I suspect it doesn't really matter which you buy. I have the original dies (non-TC), and they work fine.

With that said, I've bought Lee factory crimp dies for most calibers, and I crimp with those now rather than with the seating die.

Quite a bit of good info here, and I like that you have used the LnL system, which is what I am looking at.

The Dillon system that we missed out on did have the separate powder measured in separate heads. I believe it was 6 or 7 different setups. Sadly, they were also mostly for the calibers that we are looking at! (45, 41, 30-06, 6.5x55 swede, etc. Really kicking myself because of it). And it went for about what it would cost for the LnL with all of the add-ons (case and bullet feeders, etc, and all of the needed caliber parts/dies) but without primers, powders, etc. It also includes a tumbler and such. But it doesn't matter, it was a steal and we missed it, so on to other things.

Ultrasonic/cleaners: I already have a spare ultrasonic (yes, spare) but it sounds like I definitely need a tumbler for the majority of range sourced brass.

Scales: I do like digital scales, and have one for kitchen stuff that we bought my wife. Would it be a good idea for a small set of calibration weights?

Casing trays: I imagine you just stop loading up cases or bullets when you run out, eliminating the need for the trays?

Dies: I have noticed that rifle dies don't seem to come in 3 or 4 piece sets, just 2s (at least from Hornady). I'm trying to get everything that I can as one brand while we do our initial purchase to help sedate my OCD. While reloading shotgun many years back, we didn't have much to worry about. Is it normal for rifle dies to come in sets of 2 only?

Also, bushings are a no brainer with what I've researched. They even sell them in packs of 10, which are readily available. Thanks for the heads up on the lee boxes!

Lube: 6.5 guys case line. Check.

Trailer vs roll: my biggest concern with the trailer vs roll is my Shadow Systems 9mm. It doesn't like the factory remanufactured ammo that I tried to feed it (14 stuck rounds out of 100). The rounds were physically stuck in the chamber and had to be priced out. Never had an issue running the same rounds though my Glock, though. Likely that it isn't a rim issue, but a case sizing issue, as the marks from being stuck were about 1/4 down the case. And yeah, it was Hornady dies.

Lee factory crimps, check.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

“The word "good" has many meanings. For example, if a man were to shoot his grandmother at a range of five hundred yards, I should call him a good shot, but not necessarily a good man.”
― G. K. Chesterton

— Rep. Allen West, FL

“Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right.”

“An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.”
— Jeff Cooper

Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
That’s great, do you remember where I live? I’ll help you with any questions and may have a few items that you seek.
Also, I would suggest that you find a classified ad selling a complete set up with every thing you may need.
You may wind up with a lot of unneeded caliber conversions and such but those are easily sold later.
If you like what you find, DO NOT DALLY, someone will snap it up… Trust me on this… icon_eek

I sure do, Jim! And thanks for the heads up on looking through the classifieds.

― G. K. Chesterton

— Rep. Allen West, FL

— Jeff Cooper

Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:41 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

MurphyEF wrote:
Scales: I do like digital scales, and have one for kitchen stuff that we bought my wife. Would it be a good idea for a small set of calibration weights?

Your kitchen scale likely won't do what you need for reloading. It needs to measure in grains, and down to the tenth of a grain. I doubt your kitchen scale will do that.

Both of the digital reloading scales that I've used came with calibration weights.

MurphyEF wrote:
Casing trays: I imagine you just stop loading up cases or bullets when you run out, eliminating the need for the trays?

Well . . . yes. What do you envision using the trays for, exactly?

MurphyEF wrote:
Dies: I have noticed that rifle dies don't seem to come in 3 or 4 piece sets, just 2s (at least from Hornady). I'm trying to get everything that I can as one brand while we do our initial purchase to help sedate my OCD. While reloading shotgun many years back, we didn't have much to worry about. Is it normal for rifle dies to come in sets of 2 only?

Let's talk about the difference between rifle and pistol reloading for a minute. (Speaking generally, there are always exceptions.)

When reloading for pistol, you'll have an expander die (flaring die) that will bell the mouth of the case. Then you add powder and the bullet, seat the bullet, and then crimp to remove the flare at a minimum.

When reloading for a rifle, there's no expanding of the case mouth, so you don't need that die. So yes, pistol dies will generally comes in sets of three, and rifle dies in sets of two.

MurphyEF wrote:
Trailer vs roll: my biggest concern with the trailer vs roll is my Shadow Systems 9mm. It doesn't like the factory remanufactured ammo that I tried to feed it (14 stuck rounds out of 100). The rounds were physically stuck in the chamber and had to be priced out. Never had an issue running the same rounds though my Glock, though. Likely that it isn't a rim issue, but a case sizing issue, as the marks from being stuck were about 1/4 down the case. And yeah, it was Hornady dies.

The ammo is "factory remanufactured" using a Hornady die? That seems odd.

It sounds like your SS pistol has a tighter chamber than the Glock does, but my bet is that the ammo wasn't sized and/or crimped correctly.

Another thing to consider, equipment-wise, is that when you get into rifle reloading you'll need to have a trimmer and, if you're going to use military brass (like Lake City or others), something to swage the crimped primer pockets

And a general note . . . my advice is to buy once, cry once. Buy a good press, like the ones you're looking at. When it comes time to buy a trimmer, buy a good one. I know it's painful to drop the cash, but it's also painful (literally) to work with substandard equipment, given that you will be processing so many thousands of rounds over your life time. If you use shit equipment and need to fight it, it will take a toll on your body.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
MurphyEF wrote:

Your kitchen scale likely won't do what you need for reloading. It needs to measure in grains, and down to the tenth of a grain. I doubt your kitchen scale will do that.

Both of the digital reloading scales that I've used came with calibration weights.

MurphyEF wrote:

Well . . . yes. What do you envision using the trays for, exactly?

MurphyEF wrote:

Let's talk about the difference between rifle and pistol reloading for a minute. (Speaking generally, there are always exceptions.)

When reloading for pistol, you'll have an expander die (flaring die) that will bell the mouth of the case. Then you add powder and the bullet, seat the bullet, and then crimp to remove the flare at a minimum.

When reloading for a rifle, there's no expanding of the case mouth, so you don't need that die. So yes, pistol dies will generally comes in sets of three, and rifle dies in sets of two.

MurphyEF wrote:

The ammo is "factory remanufactured" using a Hornady die? That seems odd.

It sounds like your SS pistol has a tighter chamber than the Glock does, but my bet is that the ammo wasn't sized and/or crimped correctly.

Another thing to consider, equipment-wise, is that when you get into rifle reloading you'll need to have a trimmer and, if you're going to use military brass (like Lake City or others), something to swage the crimped primer pockets

And a general note . . . my advice is to buy once, cry once. Buy a good press, like the ones you're looking at. When it comes time to buy a trimmer, buy a good one. I know it's painful to drop the cash, but it's also painful (literally) to work with substandard equipment, given that you will be processing so many thousands of rounds over your life time. If you use shit equipment and need to fight it, it will take a toll on your body.

Ah, hadn't meand using the kitchen scale, just that it was digital and I preferred it over the older analog one we had previous.

As for the trays, I only realized being able to stop as I was typing that all out.

Thanks for the heads up on the pistol vs rifle reloading. Again, the only previous experience I have is with shotgun, which is notably different.

The remanufactured rounds were not necessarily with a Hornady die, they were purchased in bulk bags of 100. Remanufactured by I believe American Eagle, If I remember correctly (plinking ammo).

The SS definately has tighter tolerances, as they are advertised as coming from factory the way that people build their Glocks in the long run.

Dually noted on the trimmer.

― G. K. Chesterton

— Rep. Allen West, FL

— Jeff Cooper

Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:18 pm

Madpick (as much as I love to pick on him) is pretty much spot on with his advice.

Slow down a little and seriously consider all of the factors involved.
If you just go and start buying "stuff", you WILL end up spending way too much $$$$.

The classifieds on here are a great place to start.

I would strongly advise that you sit down with someone who knows what they are doing and make 2 lists.
The first list is what you MUST have to reload safely.
The second is what you WANT to make it easier.

The first list is the most important.

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Weren’t we just calling them Whorenady in the other thread for their vax policy?

Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nitro_Guns wrote:
MadPick wrote:
Nitro_Guns wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:

Funny that I don't own a Dillion progressive for loading rifle cartridges....But nice try "Betty Crocker"... :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :ROFLMAO:

Steve can't bake worth shit - but he can eat cake like an anaconda downing a deer.

Double hinged jaw - there is a pic of him in action here somewhere - truly terrifying.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:17 pm

I have been reloading for 30 years. I wore out a RCBS Reloader 3 and now have a RCBS Rock Chucker and a Lee Load Master that I cuss at when I need to load a big batch. You will always find a need for a good single stage press especially so if you use rage brass. Even some 9mm has crimped in primers or cases with steps inside that can jamb up a progressive press so I deprime and size on a single stage. Someone here probably have a good deal for you but you can start with a reloading manual or two so you can be aware of powers that will work so what you are out and about you can recognize powders that will work for you.

Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next