Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Reloading Room Ideas/Recommendation 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well got a call this weekend to come pick up a truck load of ammo, reloading equipment, books, powder, primers, brass, and bullets from my friend's dad. Don't ask why because that'll have to go into it's own discussion thread.

Anyways, my man-cave is literally full and bursting at the seams now. I've been throwing tables, desks, and what-nots together for over 10yrs but now the wife says it's time to go legit and order cabinets, shelving, and a new bench. The area I have to work with is 10ft 5in. by 13ft 6in. The only thing that is staying is my Safe which is 38in W x 58in H x 24in D. Everything will be dumped. Not looking at hanging guns or anything on the wall other than tools even though it looks cool but man-cave cannot be secured as it only has walls on three sides.

Plan is to go to Home Depot and get the 10% Veteran's Discount.

Husky Cabinets: For storing reloading supplies (not powder or primers), dies, and stuff I want to hide. Two separate cabinets with three adjustable shelves each (180lbs per shelf) + floor of cabinet
Qty (2) Ready-to-Assemble 24-Gauge Steel Garage Gear Cabinet in Black (36 in. W x 72 in. H x 24 in. D). Only comes with 2-shelves hence the extra ones.
Qty (1) 36 in. W x 21 in. D Steel Shelf Set in Black (2-Pack) for Ready-to-Assemble 36 in. Garage Gear Cabinet

Husky Shelf: For storing bullets and really heavy stuff
Qty (1) Red 5-Tier Heavy Duty Steel Garage Storage Shelving (48 in. W x 78 in. H x 24 in. D)

Husky Workbench: Work surface as well as being able to mount InLine Fabrication Quick Mounts. I will have the option of running them back-to-back so I get 48" depth or swinging one to the side and to get a L-shape. Ideally I would get a 8ft W x 36in D and be done but Home Depot doesn't have anything like this.
Qty (2) Ready-to-Assemble 6 ft. Adjustable Height Solid Wood Top Workbench in Black

Here are the ideas or opinions I'm soliciting:
  1. I would like a peg or slat board behind the workbench and between the wall to allow for mounting stuff vertically. Ideally I could screw it to the back side of the bench and not the wall.
  2. Any cool workbenches out there? Needs to between 72-96in W x 30-36in D with adjustable height of 28-42in
  3. I'd also like to add a tool chest that is no larger than 6ft W and has a wood surface. Any gun related ones to look at?
  4. Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance.
Bo

Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:57 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't have any comments on the specific items you mentioned because I'm not familiar with those products, but I'll throw this out there . . . one of the biggest organizational challenges that I have is brass. Now of course it all depends on how many calibers you are going to reload, and how much brass you'll eventually have for each, but I'll give an example of how I handle brass.

Pistol brass:
- One smallish container for dirty brass. When the container gets full, I tumble it. Labeled "9mm dirty" or similar.
- One larger container for clean brass. Labeled "9mm clean" or similar.

Rifle brass:
- One smallish container for dirty brass. When the container gets full, I tumble it. Labeled ".223 dirty" or similar.
- One larger container for brass that has been lightly tumbled but not otherwise processed. Labeled ".223 clean, ready to process" or similar.
- One larger container for brass that has been processed (sized, swaged, trimmed and final tumble). Labeled ".223 ready to load" or similar.

Now, let's say that you separate your .223 into Lake City and non-LC, for example. Now you have six .223 containers instead of three.

I started out using random Costco snack containers, and I still use some of those. However, I've also bought some proper plastic tubs with lids that are stackable, and I use those on shelves as much as I can.

Bullets . . . bullets are heavy. Really heavy. Keep them low, and close to you so you won't need to reach over things to lift them.

Just food for thought....

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ll just go ahead and explain my build since it’s late and I’m into a bottle of Crown…
Here is a thread I started before I started my room build, lots of great ideas there.

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threa ... om.280983/

I built my 10’x12’ reloading/gun room inside of my 30’x48’ pole building that I built 22 years ago.
It was built on a concrete floor, 2x6 walls, 2x8 ceiling joists, Ecobat commercial insulation, every joint caulked, 36” steel door with auto shutoff LED lights. I ran all the electrical wires & outlets by code.
One thing that I did before I started putting cabinets and wall lockers inside the room, I used cardboard cut outs as templates for all my cabinets, lockers, safe for the floor plan to see if everything would work. You’ll be surprised how much all of that takes up in a small room.
This room is so insulated that it stays between 55-62° with a small heater running 2-3 hours per day/night in the winter.
I used 2) 3’x6’x18” metal wall lockers, one 2’x5’ x16” melamine locker for brass/reloading components/gun parts, a school gym locker for my BA (TA-50) and a Liberty Colonial 50 gun safe.
I found used cabinets to fit the bench spaces and painted them white and also found used upper cabinets to cut costs.
I went low budget so I could spend the rest of my budget ($450) out of $2,000 on components and parts.

Attachment:
42FE1101-7AFC-4B35-8FB4-9233479EA749.jpeg

Attachment:
04A403F5-CDC7-4A3F-A1A2-2300E89E9560.jpeg

Attachment:
BD21A3B3-98AF-4ACD-836D-FD141BFB835E.jpeg

Attachment:
FF26E78C-10AA-41D5-8B27-0C38973F98C7.jpeg

I utilize Inline Fabrication products to help with clutter.

Attachment:
BAA66A23-5E79-443A-9B2E-34ADA9293ED4.jpeg

Attachment:
A26C31F1-3AB6-4969-A1D7-34214A37AE08.jpeg

Attachment:
69DB8EB5-8A20-46FE-9695-7E50235BCA96.jpeg

Attachment:
ACE4D42E-3332-4564-A145-31AD1894544A.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
I’ll just go ahead and explain my build...

It would appear you’re not a Caveman at all.

Nice gun room! :bow:

:cheers2:

Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here’s the setup I just put together. It’s an 8’ Husky workbench.

Still trying to figure out what kind of cabinet I want. Primers and powder are currently stored in ammo cans inside the room. Brass and brass processing will stay in the garage. Not sure what I’m gonna do with bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Forgot to mention that the press is installed on the bench with an Inline Fabrication quick change mount. I can swap my RCBS single stage and a vise into the mount.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

edogg wrote:
Forgot to mention that the press is installed on the bench with an Inline Fabrication quick change mount. I can swap my RCBS single stage and a vise into the mount.

I'm planning on getting either the 6' or 8' Husky bench. No issues with the bench tipping over in the up or downstroke of the press?

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim - Thanks for the great idea of using cardboard templates.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Downloaded an app for the iPad which allows me to layout the room with a degree of dimensional accuracy. Still playing with the layout.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BlDtyLry wrote:
Caveman Jim - Thanks for the great idea of using cardboard templates.

Thanks, cardboard proves I’m a caveman.
Nice CAD work. I have a Associates Degree in CAD but could not get hired in that field so I dropped it.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:
I’ll just go ahead and explain my build...

It would appear you’re not a Caveman at all.

Nice gun room! :bow:

:cheers2:

Uggghhhh :cheers2:

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shit can all the Husky stuff, and just go with the butcher block counter top slabs home Depot carries. Frame them in with 4x4 uprights, and 2x4 horizontals for 5/8ths minimum plywood for shelving.

Brass and projectiles weigh a lot, and you always collect more stuff over time, so it weighs even more. Bigger is better. So, do it from floor to ceiling. You can frame in bifold or sliding doors for a neat finished appearance.

Spend a fraction of what the Husky stuff costs, have benches built like a brick shit house, and shelving that will hold literally tons, not pounds. You can spend coin on the door fronts and cupboard facing for a really nice custom pro shop look.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RENCORP wrote:
Spend a fraction of what the Husky stuff costs, have benches built like a brick shit house, and shelving that will hold literally tons, not pounds. You can spend coin on the door fronts and cupboard facing for a really nice custom pro shop look.

I'd rather not showcase to my wife how much I can "Do-it-myself" as I would lose the ability to buy guns and shoot more. But thanks for your feedback.

Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BlDtyLry wrote:
RENCORP wrote:

I'd rather not showcase to my wife how much I can "Do-it-myself" as I would lose the ability to buy guns and shoot more. But thanks for your feedback.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:

Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BlDtyLry wrote:
RENCORP wrote:

Just think about how many guns all of the Husky stuff money would buy.................... heh heh heh.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next