Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 the $17 target stand 

FZRider wrote:
Got the materials at Lowe's today to make two of them. Anyone in the Oly area have some cardboard they want to unload?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Go back to Lowes and ask for the 3x3 cardboard sheets that come on top of the appliances. The person at the appliance desk should know where they are. All we do is crush them anyway. I have a bunch and cut them into silhouettes.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:32 pm

First off, I'm new to Waguns. My name is CarlMc and I'm an addict...

I recently figured out how to make two stands for about the same price... Two of them pack in a small duffel bag, less the vertical wooden sticks.

Go to your favorite big box store. Bring a bow saw or something similar. A tape measure is nice, too.
In the store, get the following things to make one stand. Double or whatever for more:
1 pc 1 1/2"x10' PVC pipe
4 1 1/2" PVC elbows
2 1 1/2" tees
1 1x2x8' furring strip

Carry these out to your car. With the bow saw, cut the PVC approximately in the middle (within an inch is fine) so now it fits in your car. Cut the wood in half as well.
At home, proceed to cut the PVC pipe into 19" pieces starting at the finished ends. A little more accuracy helps. You'll now have six 19" pieces and two roughly 3" pieces.
If you want to glue the pieces together, you certainly can. I don't, in case I want to replace a part that someone got stupid with.
Make a rectangle out of the pieces, with the elbows in the corners and the tees in the middle. Point the tees middle part up and stick the 3" pieces in there.

Whittle away just enough of the corners of the furring strip to fit snugly into the little 3" pieces, and voila, you have a complete stand.
What you didn't see coming is that 23" wide targets are a perfect fit. Really, I planned it that way.

Have fun!

Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:18 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to WaGuns, CarlMc! :wavey:

Great instructions, thank you.

My targets are similar to what you describe except I use larger pipe (2", I think?) so the furring strips can just drop into the vertical pipe. My vertical pipes are longer (same length as the lower pipes), so the target still stays upright. I also cut mine in shorter lengths; if I remember offhand, they're more like 13" each.

I carry two targets in a duffel bag, though I've started trying to keep the base partly assembled. I might add some glue at some point so that the stand will be only six pieces, which I think will be a good compromise:

- Each horizontal end pipe plus two elbows, glued together
- Each horizontal side section, consisting of two pipes with a tee in the middle, glued together
- Each vertical pipe

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3