Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:35 pm

Rules Brads Guns RA I5 Guns & Ammo Killer Innovations Fessleman Firearms
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms
Gear Fortis WCA 2A Ind. Pintos WAC
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Fast makeover of your firearms, A D-I-Y step by step 

Well, today i wanted something to do in the sunshine.
I remembers TacticalASSault wanted me to try and put together a step by step of a rifle makeover.

My MAK90 looked like serious crapola (even though it was a FREE rifle from my Brother), so i chose it for my demonstration here since these websites i frequent are mostly assault rifle junkies unlike me the Bolt action junkie.

Here we go, Start with a rifle or pistol grips that really look like crap. SERIOUSLY, only beater firearms and well loved Hunting rifles usually need this treatment.

Take a photo of your beat up rifle or pistol sporting the crappy wood.

Now take the firearm apart, take ALL the metal away from the wood because the stripper will eat at most finishes besides parkerizing.

Lay out cardboard, i save nearly every large cereal box, Eggo box or whatnot just for these projects.

Lay out your wood on the cardboard.
Get a tooth brush, new, used but above all a toss away one, you wont use it ever again except for anohter makeover, NITRILE GLOVES ONLY, get some, i couldnt afford them today so i suffered and have a burned finger now. The acids in the Kleen strip are nasty and eat latex gloves..

Spray the parts liberally

Come back to them 15 minutes later and spray on some more, now put your gloves on.
Grab the tooth brush and work the parts over, spraying little by little as the goo dries up a bit.
this is the nastiest crap ever, but its bad ass on getting the job done fast!

Save your coffee lids, they are your friends when doing this type of stuff, now they are scrapers. No need in buying plastic putty knives unless you wish to be cool and only use the cool shit.

my toothbrush i found in my tool box with the wrong type of gloves for the stripper, great for the finish spray though!

Brushing in the goo and releasing all the prior finish on the wood

ok, now that you have all the finish stripped, heres where you RUN these parts past your wife before she see's what the hell you are doing. Fill the tub with hot-warm water, dont forget to grab the dish soap on the way through the kitchen from the garage or patio.
throw the parts in the tub.

now, run back out and grab the tooth brush and the dish soap you forgot to grab on the way through the kitchen like i said to do.

coat the parts liberally with soap and throw them back in the water.

Scrub them well with the brush removing all the goo and rinse with HOT water (this raises minute little dings in the wood) it also opens the pores of the wood.

Rinse them well and let them completely dry.

Now while the wood is drying, lay out some clean cardboard, get your gloves on again, grab a wad of paper towels, fold two layer pieces into a makeshift brush and dip it in the stain. Apply the stain liberally and wipe it off FAST with the rest of the paper towels. the longer the stain is on the wood the darker it will get.

here, i wiped the wood down really well and let it sit awhile. Usually 8 hours or more.
Today i chose to sand mine wet, i wanted the stain in the pores and grain and the sanded wood filled the grain well in doing so, but its a pain in the ass and i have blisters from doing it this way. BUt it worked well!

OK, i made a rack to hang the parts on, and sprayed a little bit of finish on the parts for a tack coat and let it sit 15 minutes.

Sprayed more coats every 20-30 minutes, the stuff i sprayed today dries to the touch in 30 minutes.

notice the runs? dont stress over them, usually just finish with your steps on extra coats every 30 minutes until you reach 5 coats.
You can wet sand the high areas after 3 days and spray on a single thin coat to finish spray to finish off the job if you are using oil base sprays. I used waterbase today, so i just let it be and it all leveled out for the most part, besides i am not worried too much about a couple runs with this spray, it flattened out well enough and this is just a fast makeover to complete this post foor you guys wanting to refinish your firearms yourself in the future

OH YEAH! make sure to choose a spray that has the blue spray buttons, not the type like the crappy red one i used today, the blue ones lay down a beautiful layer and its directional, meaning you can turn the nozzle to spray vertical or horizontal. i like the blue ones best.

the old fashioned one on the left sucks!

ok, this was completed in only ONE day, from ghetto mismatched pile of crap to hey --- thats a nice looking MAK90!
Enjoy! Have fun giving your firearms a facelift if they need it!
I only use WET/DRY sandpaper period! rinse it off and use it again!
220 grit, 320 and 600.

I started this rifle at 1:00PM, finished and back together ready to wast a crapload of ammo at 9:45PM Peace!

thanks for reading my stupid topic.
Phish.

Last edited by Phishisgroovin on Tue May 17, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue May 17, 2011 9:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks Awesome.....Thanks for the step by step really is helpful! You should start doing this type of stuff more often!!

GReat JOB

Residential, Investment Properties, Short Sales, HUD Homes, Foreclosures, Raw Land she does it all.

Tue May 17, 2011 9:36 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's a great write up! I wouldn't of ever even thought to tackle a project like that... Now, I would be halfway confident!

Thanks!

Tue May 17, 2011 9:41 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks Jason, i would but i dont like blisters on my thumb all the time lol!
This little project set me back a piddly $20 for supplies, i already had sand paper here or it would have been $25.

Tue May 17, 2011 9:42 pm

Thank MD! its fun and it friggin easy!
Just takes time and patience is all

Tue May 17, 2011 9:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Phishisgroovin wrote:
Thank MD! its fun and it friggin easy!
Just takes time and patience is all

Thats why I must have never tackled a project like that No patience LOL

Residential, Investment Properties, Short Sales, HUD Homes, Foreclosures, Raw Land she does it all.

Tue May 17, 2011 9:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow! That was really cool! Nice job! :-bd

:kewlpics:

Wed May 18, 2011 6:04 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Phishisgroovin wrote:
Save your coffee lids, they are your friends when doing this type of stuff, now they are scrapers. No need in buying plastic putty knives unless you wish to be cool and only use the cool shit.

:lol:

Phish, thank you for writing that up! luxhello Great job, man.

I've refinished my AK furniture a couple of times, but I really didn't know what the hell I was doing. (Which is why I've refinished the same furniture a couple of times . . . get that?) I'll be much more prepared for the next opportunity, though!

Great post! :YMAPPLAUSE:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed May 18, 2011 6:18 am
Founding Father
Founding Father

Great write up Randy and I must say that old Mak looks a lot better with the refinished wood.

Wed May 18, 2011 9:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took off the wood and put on an ATI folding stock, and fore grips (evil black plastic).

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:56 am
Profile WWW

Also, you can wipe the wood down with methanol or even water, that will make the pores open up and thus allow the stain to penetrate further into the wood, hence making it darker. Nice article!!!

Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:22 am

Great Post!

I have a old 1931 Tula Mosin-Nagant M91/30, and the Gloss lacquer is starting to come off the rifle. (Light to heavy peeling/chipping)

I should try that, and maybe try for a lighter shade, as the current finish is very dark. Also some of the wood shows repairs.

I want to go to a "matte" finish, as it is a military rifle, and I don't want that extra glare.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice write up. Great pics. Crazy you did it all in one day. NICE!!

Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:55 pm

Thanks for taking the time to show us this step by step...I feel confident enough to try this on my rifle...

Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:25 pm

I love shooting this thing also.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next