Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:58 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 USN Mk 1 Knife 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone have any experience with these knives? I had one given to me that is in need of restoration. It was made by Robeson (Suredge no20) most likely for WWII. It's missing the leather washers and pommel and the guard is not correct.

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Fri May 06, 2016 10:21 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got an old Camillus Navy MK1 in great condition, but other than it being a good, solid knife, I couldn't tell ya much more. Cool project. If you need one to work off of, you can barrow mine.

"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do for any fellow being, let me do it now ... as I shall not pass this way again." - William Penn

Fri May 06, 2016 6:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok so the hardest part is attaching the pommel. Im not sure how it gets attached to your MK 1.
Is the tang pend over ? Is it riveted in place? Or worse....is it cast in place?

My first leather washer rebuild was a Cattaraugus 225Q. I did it back before I had a computer. So no photos.
The knife now resides on the wall in my dads workshop.
I bought shoe grade leather to make the washers and I made a die out of a brass, sink drain pipe.
Yes brass is soft for a cutting die but I actually used my vice (not a BFH) to push the die through the leather with a
solid piece of plastic backer ( old cutting board ).
The original washers where not round. So I oblonged my die. It is also a bit larger diameter.
After the washers where all cut I just punch out the tang hole with a basic leather hole punch.
[URL=http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/andyd_7/media/IMG_1144_zps4d5sxcow.jpg.ht
ml]Image[/URL]

My second and yet to be completed knife has a screw on pommel. They are much easier to rebuild.
I also added some red paper shims. I got that material from Jantz. Its specifically for knives.
So Red shim, brass shim, red shim, aluminum shim, red shim, white polypro shim and red shim.
When all assembled I treated the leather with Sno-Seal All Season Leather Protector.
It is a bees wax based product.
There seams to be a bit of a controversy on how to treat leather knife handles, sheathes and holsters.
So do your own bit of research there.

Mon May 09, 2016 6:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you heat up the leather a little for the beeswax?

Mon May 09, 2016 7:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ironworker78 wrote:
Did you heat up the leather a little for the beeswax?

Oh Yes. Multiple times. With a heat gun :angryfire:
But the one in the photo is not done. I'm not very happy with how the guard turned out.
Got frustrated and put it on the shelf ....lol

Mon May 09, 2016 7:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

excellent! Thanks for the tips!

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Mon May 09, 2016 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a MK 1 knife that was my fathers. The markings are similar to the one in this link, but the handle on my knife is in much better condition. Let me know if you need any pictures.

http://www.quanonline.com/military/mili ... pal35.html

Fri May 13, 2016 11:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was at my folks place this weekend so I took some photos of the Cattaraugus 225Q.

Tue May 31, 2016 5:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]