Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:35 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 shotgun shortening questions 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

so i want to shorten my barrel on my mossberg currently has 28" has anyone here cut one down? if so what is a good method to do it? any advice or hints greatly appreciated

Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:50 pm

does it have the rail on the bbl? if not use a pipe cutting tool..clamp it on and adjust tightness as needed

Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it does have a rail, so not really a option i'm thinking

Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:44 pm

hacksaw and a grinder or dremmel tool

Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

18 inches is the legal length correct?

Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

18.5 bbl and 26 oal i believe

Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Make sure you crown the cut by rounding it off on the inside edge. Leaving it sharp might result in a split barrel some day soon otherwise. "Calling Tactical Assault to the operating room for professional surgery ! " May be the best way to not screw up a good gun. Just sayin'.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ok good advice thanks much
anyone else got any opinions or advice feel free to let me know
thanks

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

justincredible3 wrote:
does it have the rail on the bbl? if not use a pipe cutting tool..clamp it on and adjust tightness as needed

Not the best method as pipe cutters will roll metal into a smaller diameter than original. Better to saw it off and then de-burr the edges.

As for length 18" is min. Most are 18.5" to make sure that there's no issue when being measured in the field by LEO's. Remember that even if you cut the barrel to more than 18" you still have to have an OAL of 26". This can be an issue of you have a folding stock or pistol grip.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ok good point hadn't thought of that because i'm considering putting a colapsable stock on it

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another consideration - adding a magazine tube extension for capacity. Use the need to meet legal overall length with a folding stock or pistol grip by cutting the barrel down to the same length as the magazine with extender installed for extra round capacity. Might as well make over all length work for you in a positive way while you are at it !

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RENCORP wrote:
Another consideration - adding a magazine tube extension for capacity. Use the need to meet legal overall length with a folding stock or pistol grip by cutting the barrel down to the same length as the magazine with extender installed for extra round capacity. Might as well make over all length work for you in a positive way while you are at it !

If I'm not mistaken, the "length" has to be PERMANENT. Removable devices won't qualify. This is why the Flash Suppressors that are added to short barrels on AR-15's have to be pinned and/or welded.

Use caution, the penalties are expensive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, that is what we are talking about - the permanent decision on how short to cut the barrel, thus dictating over all length. Adding or subtracting a magazine extension will never change the permanently cut length of the barrel, or the over all length as a result.

If a folder or pistol grip goes on, and barrel length is not cut back as much as a result, it is just a practical consideration to look at a magazine tube extension's installed length, and adjust the cutting of the barrel accordingly. You can always make the barrel shorter - but you can't make it longer again.

My preference would be to measure overall length based on a pistol grip and magazine tube extension installed. That way, no conflict with laws governing over all length of you go to a folding stock - you are legal for anything else. If you decide to whack off some more in future, at least you can still make that choice.

BE ON NOTICE:

Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great job pointing out the overall length issues.

For anyone considering a bird's head grip for their shotgun: http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=14

The author even elaborates on the topic of an overall length of 26": http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ya great advice guys thanks much

Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next