Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:44 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Adding a rail to a semi auto pistol 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a pistol that came from the factory without a rail to mount a light. Am considering the addition of a weaver/picatinny rail on the bottom of the "dust shield" and wondered if anyone has done this? I realize it will add some to the profile of the firearm and it may not fit readily available holsters with a light attached but that's not an issue as I have a QD light mount I would use.

Any thoughts or suggestions. The pistol is a Sig P-229.

BTW I'm not interested in any "mount" that merely attaches to the front of the trigger guard like some laser attachments.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw pics from a guy who added a section of rail to a Beretta Cougar.......actually the link is below I found it. If your handy, and have the tools, and not concerned with what your pistol looks like / reasale value, it can be done. If it were me, I would just sell it and buy one with a factory rail. The potential resale value is what I would be concerned about. Good luck

http://berettaforum.net/vb/showpost.php?p=628142&postcount=15

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:25 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

The above is a great idea, but I think the Cougar has more of a surface to mount to. The P229 doesn't look like it has much more than 1-1.5" in front of the trigger guard.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another option at www.Advanced Tactical.com and search magnetic laser sight. There are add on rails available from www.opticalplanet.com however they tend to come loose with recoil

I Believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes. I believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies."
William Tyler Page 1917

Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

steble01 wrote:
I saw pics from a guy who added a section of rail to a Beretta Cougar.......actually the link is below I found it. If your handy, and have the tools, and not concerned with what your pistol looks like / reasale value, it can be done. If it were me, I would just sell it and buy one with a factory rail. The potential resale value is what I would be concerned about. Good luck

http://berettaforum.net/vb/showpost.php?p=628142&postcount=15

This is pretty much what I had in mind although I think I could fit the rail a little better. With finish it could look like it was "born there".

As for resale value, I buy all my firearms with the full intent to shoot them 'till one of us quits. Resale is the last thing on my mind. I fully expect that everything in my safe will outlast me and doubt I'll sell any of them.

The "dust guard" part of the Sig P229 frame is about 1-1/4" long, trigger guard to end. More than enough to hold a Weaver type sight mount or piece of picatinny rail. Enough for light or laser as I see it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

keep us updated thumbsup

Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]