Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Rechambering a Japanese Type 99 Rifle? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi everyone,

I keep seeing posts on other forums that guys seem to have these Arisaka that shoot 7.62/.308 ammo. They mention "setting the barrel back", "re-chambering" it, and yet never mentioning having to get a new barrel. I've called two different gun smiths that have both claimed it would take all kinds of work. I know the Chinese did it for a bunch of them after the war, and I know there would be some modifications that need to be done to the bolt and magazine. Though I still feel that the guys I talked to about doing it just either didn't care or didn't know how to help me out.

I know 7.7 is about $28 a box of 20, but 7.62/.308 would be perfect cost and availability. I don't reload, and I don't really want to get into it. Seems like way too much effort and cost to get running.

Has anyone here had any experience with this?

I'm almost at the point of tracking down one of the chinese ones and then getting an original stock for it.
I want a cheap shooter that looks as original as I can get it. :D

"A nation grown free in a single day is a child born with the limbs and the vigour of a man, who would take a drawn sword for his rattle, and set the house in a blaze that he might chuckle over the splendour." Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
Spoiler: show
NOW YOU DID IT...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:29 pm

The Chinese Re-chambered them for 7.92x57mm Mauser, With similarity in cartridge length, that could be a good option.

I know some were also chambered for .30-06 too.

Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A.Oster wrote:
Hi everyone,

I keep seeing posts on other forums that guys seem to have these Arisaka that shoot 7.62/.308 ammo. They mention "setting the barrel back", "re-chambering" it, and yet never mentioning having to get a new barrel. I've called two different gun smiths that have both claimed it would take all kinds of work. I know the Chinese did it for a bunch of them after the war, and I know there would be some modifications that need to be done to the bolt and magazine. Though I still feel that the guys I talked to about doing it just either didn't care or didn't know how to help me out.

I know 7.7 is about $28 a box of 20, but 7.62/.308 would be perfect cost and availability. I don't reload, and I don't really want to get into it. Seems like way too much effort and cost to get running.

Has anyone here had any experience with this?

I'm almost at the point of tracking down one of the chinese ones and then getting an original stock for it.
I want a cheap shooter that looks as original as I can get it. :D

How much are you planning on shooting it? It will take a lot of shooting to offset the cost of the 'rework'.

If you are going to "convert" it consider .30-06 although the .308 bullet will be a little undersized. Ideally you'd reload your own using the .303 British bullet which is the same diameter as the 7.7mm Arisaka (.311"-.312"). Based on cartridge dimensions this is about the only route that won't require setting the barrel back so it can be chambered for a shorter cartridge. As always, it won't be simple and a change in one area requires changes in others. Change the round and then what about the bolt and magazine, and so forth.

It might just be better to pay extra for the ammo and just shop around for "Deals" where possible.

Another thought would be to check whether this is one of the "Good" Arisaka's or one of the "last ditch" or "substitute standard" models.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you both for your replies. I've gone a bit cross-eyed today hunting down more info. Here are some excerpts I have found:
Quote:
Since it's also a .311-.313" bore, she could have the original gun barrel set back and rechambered, to the Soviet 7.62x39 M-43 round. The bullet diameter is proper for the Arisaka's bore, but the Arisaka's claw extractor would need to be bent inwards just a bit to get a better bite on the smaller diameter 7.62x39's rim. Obviously, more than a few threads' worth of barrel set-back needs to be done to accomodate the shorter round. The benefit here is the cheap surplus ammo, and it would be a real pussycat to shoot the full-size Arisaka with the 123gr 7.62x39 ammo.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have a good one - and your gunsmith should be able to tell you. You can set the barrel back a thread or two and ream it to .308 Winchester. My father had this done in the 1950's.The bore is slightly oversize but we had good accuracy with the rifle and it was a good cast bullet shooter too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. remove barrel
2. cut off the breech of the barrel far enough forward to get rid of the old chamber and throat completely (nothing left but rifling)
3. ream new chamber and throat to smaller round (say 7mm-08 in a barrel that was a 7mm rem mag)
4. thread barrel for action
5. re-install barrel in the action and verify headspacing
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"you pull the barrel, turn it on a lathe ( I believe it's called setting back) YOU DON'T COMPLETELY REMOVE THE CHAMBER, as the barrel profile (unless it's a Bull barrel) will be too thin at the throat, you remove just enough to shorten the chamber so you can ream it for the new round."

Seems I just need to find a gunsmith who can "set back" the barrel and one with a tool to retool the chamber to 7.62. So far I haven't tracked down any gun smiths who seem polite enough to even discuss this with though. My thinking is if I can find the rifle for ~$200, then spending a bit more for the long term benefit is worth it. I have another rifle in .223/5.56 that I'd shoot more if it were cheaper to do so. I felt that if I could get this in 7.62 I'd have something more cost effective to plink with. I'm also really into WWII Japan, so it's a double win if I get this sorted.

I'm also pretty good with my hands, so I just need the dangerous stuff fixed by a pro, I can do the bolt and magazine box work. :)

"A nation grown free in a single day is a child born with the limbs and the vigour of a man, who would take a drawn sword for his rattle, and set the house in a blaze that he might chuckle over the splendour." Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
NOW YOU DID IT...

Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, ok, I was apparently over thinking the whole thing...

Found a guy in Alaska (Mcace is the website name) who makes chamber inserts that are semi-permanent. Pretty much whatever caliber you want. So for $35+/-, I'll have it chambered for 7.62x39! Now I need to cannibalize a metal AK magazine for the follower and spring, and the I need to fabricate a magazine box plug to take up the gap. (since the 7.62 is shorter than the 7.7) Then I should be shooting cheap in no time. The guy in Alaska said the part is back ordered, so that gives me time to get the rest working.

I can't see the .08 caliber difference being ~that~ big a deal. I'm feeling confident, but at worst I'm blowing $50 in parts to give it a shot. :YMAPPLAUSE:

NOW YOU DID IT...

Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:51 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's sweet. We need pics! Installation, mag mods, and of course a range report!

Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:54 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, and I forgot to add, I just bought the rifle this weekend! :D :ymparty:

I feel I need to pick up some 7.7 to get a baseline of accuracy, but, yeah, I can't wait to get the dust knocked off this baby! The backorder worries me, because I hear the guy can take a long time filling them... :frust:

Here she is btw:
Quote:
Arisaka Type 99 Rifle and Type 30 Bayonet
Markings: Nagoya Arsenal 1939-1945/Series Number 3/Serial Number 23678
Production history: Designed, 1939; Produced, 1939–1945; Number built, >99,999
Specifications: Weight, 8.16 lb (3.7 kg)
Length, 44.1 in (1120 mm)
Barrel length, 25.87 in (657 mm)
Cartridge, 7.7x58mm Arisaka
Action, Bolt action
Muzzle velocity, 730 m/s (2394 ft/s)
Feed system, 5-round internal box magazine, stripper clip loaded

Bayonet = Markings: Kokura Arsenal 1931-1945/Type 30/ Serial Number 016399
Hooked quillon
Blade Finish, Bright
Fullers, Yes
Crossguard Shape, Hook
Grip Shape, Contoured, screw retained
Grip Fasteners, Screw
Pommel Shape, Birdshead, contoured

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NOW YOU DID IT...

Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I went out and put 5 rounds through it yesterday. 40yds on target, but seemed to hit a little to the left of POA. Not sure if it was my fault or the rifle's in all reality. But, hitting a 10" target at 40yds is good enough for the plinking I plan to do with it. Even if the shots land a little scattered. We'll see how it ends up with the 7.62x39 going down it. (Whenever that adapter gets here :-W )

NOW YOU DID IT...

Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:00 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Excellent, I'm glad you got out and shot it!

I still don't like the adapter idea . . . I hate to do anything "semi-permanent" to a nice old rifle like that. It looks to me like the mum is intact, and the rifle has anti-aircraft sights -- is that right? If so, that's a fairly valuable Type 99, and I would recommend keeping it original. If you want a "shooter" Type 99, then get one that's already been sporterized, or at least has the mum scrubbed.

In fact, I have one like that. :)

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hear what you're saying. I too didn't want to chop up or destroy a wonderful piece of history. That's why I decided to go with the semi-permanent adapter. At least this way the worst that can happen is the chamber gets stained from the locktight solution. I'm not going to permanently modify any of it. I'm even thinking I'll be finding a replacement bolt parts that I can modify to make it function even smoother. However, I still don't know when the adapter will get made... could be months... or longer. :(

To be honest, I'm still thinking about getting into reloading at some point. Though that will be down the road. I'd need to get some hands on in order to decide if I want to take on/invest in that much effort. :D

NOW YOU DID IT...

Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:10 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

That sounds good . . . when you said "semi-permanent" earlier, I was more focused on "permanent" than "semi." :D

I reload 7.7x58 for my Type 99 rifles. If you're ever up for a trip to Renton, come visit and I'll help you get started and maybe we can even make a few rounds.

And keep saving that brass....

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:30 pm

Nice Arisaka! I sure like those old guns! The 7.7mm round is an excellent round. It's too bad that it gave way to other rounds.

Did yours come with a monopod? Mine never had one on it, it was like that from the factory.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, mine had one, I can see the impressions on the stock from it. I picked up a repo monopod, and it looks as good as new. Added a repo dust cover as well. I have only put 5 rounds through it so far, but I might shoot it more next weekend. @$1-$1.50 a round I just can't take it out and shoot it as much as I'd like. :(

NOW YOU DID IT...

Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I finally got my chamber insert last week. Not much to it for taking almost 3 months to make... Nice to have it though. I picked up an extra extractor the other day, and I plan on doing a little work on it to make it catch the 7.62 casings better.I have a few ideas on the magazine box, but it's still a work in progress. As I still have 9rnds of 7.7 on my shelf, I'm going to take it out again before doing the conversion. So far, it's been pretty damn accurate. I was nailing 4" clay targets @ 80-100' with no effort. I just wish I had a place to shoot longer range. I'll update as I get more range/shop reports done. :snipersmilie:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NOW YOU DID IT...

Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:57 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice update! Coincidentally, I just set aside some 30-06 cases to convert to 7.7 (the first time I've done that), and I'm about to start the job....

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next