Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:56 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Spanish Ruby "Vilar" Pistol... 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got an old .32acp Ruby pistol manufactured in Spain for sale here in the U.S. and sold under the name "Vilar". Field stripping of these little pistols is pretty straight forward. My little pistol, however, has a little snag. After twisting the barrel to unlock the barrel from the frame, the slide catches on something in the frame, instead of sliding off. Can anyone with any knowledge about these pistols chime in about something I might be overlooking, or any commonly known issues or broken parts that would cause this? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:38 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to WaGuns! :D

I've never used one of these pistols . . . but does this video help? Is your pistol similar?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:42 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great video! Interesting on how the barrel slides out.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:55 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep. Just like that, with the exception that once my gun's barrel is removed, the slide hangs on something after moving .75" towards the front of the frame. I've seen that video and another on how to field strip this gun. I'm actually really impressed with this little gun. I picked it up last week for $75 and I'm hoping to get it back into a working firearm. Thanks.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:22 am
Founding Father
Founding Father

I've actually worked on one of these a while back that was having the same issue. If I remember correctly it had a bent or damaged ejector that was preventing the slide from coming off. It's possible that a pin has also worked it's way loose and it binding the slide. A few moderate taps with a rubber mallet got the slide off and then I addressed the issues. When I say moderate I mean fairly aggressive but not full power by any means. Start by tapping the rear of the slide gently and slowly increase the amount of force used while watching to see if the slide it moving at all. Remember to be sure it is unloaded and that the magazine is out of the gun.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TacticalAssault wrote:
I've actually worked on one of these a while back that was having the same issue. If I remember correctly it had a bent or damaged ejector that was preventing the slide from coming off. It's possible that a pin has also worked it's way loose and it binding the slide. A few moderate taps with a rubber mallet got the slide off and then I addressed the issues. When I say moderate I mean fairly aggressive but not full power by any means. Start by tapping the rear of the slide gently and slowly increase the amount of force used while watching to see if the slide it moving at all. Remember to be sure it is unloaded and that the magazine is out of the gun.

Yep. A couple of firm taps with my mallet had the slide off in no time. Thanks for the tip.
After getting the slide off I can honestly say: They sure don't make them like this anymore.
Talk about rough machine work...

Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:15 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Willius wrote:
They sure don't make them like this anymore.

LOL . . . it's nice to hear that in a positive light for once. :D

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:15 pm
Founding Father
Founding Father

Willius wrote:
TacticalAssault wrote:

Yep. A couple of firm taps with my mallet had the slide off in no time. Thanks for the tip.
After getting the slide off I can honestly say: They sure don't make them like this anymore.

Happy to help. Glad you got it apart.

Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well. Looks like this one's going to need a little more than I can offer it without taking it to an actual gunsmith.
I'd really like to get it firing but don't want to dump a bunch of cash into it as it's not worth much anyway.
Can anyone recomend a gunsmith in north King County that they've dealt with and had good results from?

Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:48 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

PM Tactical Assault (he helped you out above). He is in Woodenville.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:58 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]