Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:52 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 K98K - Rear Trigger Guard Screw Rusted Into the Bushing 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Working on a Yugo M98/48 (Captured K98K) that must have been left in a wet basement or outside for some time. Lots of rust and its been a bear to get the thing apart. Needless to say I've managed to disassemble the rifle to the point the barrel action and stock are stuck together by the rear trigger guard screw.

Let me explain further. I was able to remove the lock screws and front trigger guard screw after a few days of trying and Kroil oil. The rear trigger guard screw no such luck. So I had to remove the rear trigger guard screw head, which allowed the trigger guard to be removed and what I've determined is the rear trigger guard screw is rusted solid to the rear trigger guard screw bushing.

I'm not wanting to drill the screw out in the bushing to towards the receiver or from the tang down. I've got the thing soaking in Kroil oil again to see if I can get further. The stock I would like to save, but it's cracked in the usual places and at the wrist so repair will be necessary for sure (which I can do). I have a few replacement stocks (this rifle is a shooter), but with all the milsurps I work on I try to conserve as much as possible.

So my question is this. Has anyone ever removed and replaced a K98K rear trigger guard screw bushing?

Thanks!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe those bushings are just pressed in. They are pillars. Just like when you pillar bed a stock.
So , you could press out the pillar (with the action). But I emphasize “press” not beat on it with a hammer.
Good luck.

Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

survivor wrote:
I believe those bushings are just pressed in. They are pillars. Just like when you pillar bed a stock.
So , you could press out the pillar (with the action). But I emphasize “press” not beat on it with a hammer.
Good luck.

Thanks for the tip. I managed to press out the bushing carefully without damaging the stock. The bushing and screw became one in rust, no way that will ever be separated. New bushings are available now on to rust treatment.

Thanks!

Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]