Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:54 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Gunsmithing classes 

Are there any gunsmithing classes conducted in the Seattle area? I haven't found any by Googling.

Anyone have any experience with online classes? Not ideal, but better than nothing.

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:56 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to WaGuns! I love the username. thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:59 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Look at Cerberus Training on here. He’s in Goldendale wa and offers some armorers courses

Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is my advice: Books. Lots of books.
A good place to look for them is at second hand book stores like Half Price Books.
Then start buying cheap broken firearms. And do what it takes to fix them.

Last edited by survivor on Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^^^THIS

I got my certificate in gunsmithing years ago and learned 10x as much by actually working on guns. There are plenty of online videos showing tips and tricks, but really there is no replacement for hands on training.

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:58 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think a lot of people use the term 'gunsmith' in different ways, so you might want to think about exactly what you want to do.

If you're going to make a career out of it, it's a whole different idea than someone that just wants to assemble ARs and tinker with Glocks.

If being a Gunsmith to you means that you're going to go full bore, I'd strongly suggest you learn to use manual machine tools first. Take some classes at a local community college and learn to use a lathe, milling machine, and surface grinder. Once you can operate those proficiently, the gunplumbing part becomes a lot easier.

Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stokes wrote:
I think a lot of people use the term 'gunsmith' in different ways, so you might want to think about exactly what you want to do.

If you're going to make a career out of it, it's a whole different idea than someone that just wants to assemble ARs and tinker with Glocks.

If being a Gunsmith to you means that you're going to go full bore, I'd strongly suggest you learn to use manual machine tools first. Take some classes at a local community college and learn to use a lathe, milling machine, and surface grinder. Once you can operate those proficiently, the gunplumbing part becomes a lot easier.

good point, a reason I don't call myself a gunsmith, I am more of a gun mechanic or gun restorer. A real gunsmith is a machinist who builds guns or gun parts

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:41 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I agree with TCB and others above.
I was a GMG (Gunners Mate, Guns) in the Navy, worked in an armory, was considered a small arms expert, have a full machine shop and still don't consider myself a gunsmith.
There are a lot of tasks I am capable of doing, but don't do it for other people, money, or on a regular basis.
Bought a Jerry Kuhnhausen Smith and Wesson service manual and totally rebuilt a M-29 to factory specs, but that was my personal gun.
Wouldn't consider selling my services to others, but have repaired guns for friends.

Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:04 am

Thanks guys, for your excellent advice.

I'm almost retired, so I'm not looking for a career change, but wanted to improve my skills on my own guns (or for friends). I've always wanted to learn machining and welding, and it's a good idea to go to the local community college for that.

I would like to be able to properly tune a 1911; I'll take a look at books and videos. I can make mistakes on my own guns.

'poppavein' is a nick I got when I was a bartender in Alaska. A felt something pop while I was with a girlfriend. I discreetly asked the head bartender about it since I was concerned about the purple bruising. He empathized quietly, and then yells out "Hey Girls! Listen to this!" ...

Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:01 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

poppavein wrote:
'poppavein' is a nick I got when I was a bartender in Alaska. A felt something pop while I was with a girlfriend. I discreetly asked the head bartender about it since I was concerned about the purple bruising. He empathized quietly, and then yells out "Hey Girls! Listen to this!" ...

:ROFLMAO: :thumbsup2:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]