Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:48 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ruger BX-25 mag and SR 10/22 Rifle P.O.S. 

2 part gripe/request for some suggestions:

1) the factory 10 round mag is reliable, the BX-25 mags are garbage. I’ve tried every trick in the book...I’ve used tape, I’ve cleaned and oiled them, I’ve modified the mag release plunger/spring gadget (and replaced with the stock one), and bottom line is they are garbage. With so many complaints about theses, how is it they are still being sold? I can’t get through more than one or two rounds before I have a failure to feed. Yes I’ve tried every type of ammo known to man. Yes I have taken The mags apart and used an old brass casing cut down as a shim/washer...I’ve done it all. Any suggestions?

2) The rifle itself isn’t accurate. 100% stock, and groupings are around 6” at 50 yards. (As reference, I have a stock marlin 795 that I group 2” at 50 yards) This is just a complaint, I don’t have the money to change the barrel or I would.

Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tell you what, I will gladly dispose of that POS for you, just let me know when/where to pick it up

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Interesting.....

I have never had an issue with the BX-25 magazines....

As far as the rifle, I agree with your assessment...

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:58 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nitro_Guns wrote:

I've heard that from a lot of people, and I have no doubt that it's true.

However, I've also had terrible experiences with them (I have three, they have all failed me). Now that's all with one 10/22 rifle, but I've also fiddled with the mags, cleaned them, tried modifying them, etc.

I need to give them another try with my Charger, now that I own it . . . maybe it was something with the rifle? Dunno. But my experience definitely matched Jamesthatcher's.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Nitro_Guns wrote:

I've heard that from a lot of people, and I have no doubt that it's true.

However, I've also had terrible experiences with them (I have three, they have all failed me). Now that's all with one 10/22 rifle, but I've also fiddled with the mags, cleaned them, tried modifying them, etc.

I need to give them another try with my Charger, now that I own it . . . maybe it was something with the rifle? Dunno. But my experience definitely matched Jamesthatcher's.

Pretty much the same here...I've got a couple BX25's that work fine. A couple that do not.

My 10/22 takedown is an inaccurate POS... I replaced the trigger with Ruger's wazoo trigger, better but still not much more accurate than a slingshot.

-- Travis A Kisner

Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This seems odd to me, I've got three different 10/22 rifles, and they're all tack drivers. I can reliably hit clay pigeons at 200 yards with all three of them (well, most of the time, my eyes aren't exactly spring chickens).

My oldest one from the '70's is finicky about magazines, but not to the extent you guys are seeing. For it, I bought a couple of adjustable Tactical Innovations 25 round magazines (one of the very rare times I've broken my OEM magazines only rule for Rugers), and they're great. I also have to be careful with that particular rifle to keep the old 10 rounders with it, as it doesn't like the new ones. Generally it's easy to tell the new ones because they have red followers, and the older ones are black.

For the other two rifles I have 2-3 BX-25 magazines each, as well as a bunch of 10 rounders and it doesn't seem to matter which magazine goes to which rifle. Any non-OEM magazines (with the exception above), I've either sold, given, or thrown away depending on how useless they were.

Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:12 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

foothills wrote:
My 10/22 takedown is an inaccurate POS... I replaced the trigger with Ruger's wazoo trigger, better but still not much more accurate than a slingshot.

Did you adjust the barrel ring on your takedown? I’ve read that tightening the adjustment can improve inaccuracy.

Mine is perfectly accurate from the factory so I haven’t had to mess with the ring. But maybe give that a try if you haven’t already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, 10/22s are consistently inconsistent. My philosophy is to keep the good ones and sell the finicky ones. They're pretty inexpensive used, so that's the way to buy them, IMHO.

Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:41 pm

Has anyone had any experience with the SR model 10/22?

Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jamesthatcher wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with the SR model 10/22?

you mean like this one?

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The springs in box-25 mags suck. Too weak!!! This is what I found and did and worked ever since.
Take the magazine apart - 2 screws -

You will find 3 parts; metal feeder, follower and a coiled spring.

The spring slides onto a tab that is located on the follower.

Note how loosely the spring sets on this tab .. this is the problem.

Cut a piece of heat shrink tubing the same length as the follower tab, place it on the tab and then use a hair dryer to shrink it on snug. Do not melt the plastic follower.

Reassemble in the inner pieces. You will notice that tubing acts as a spacer and fills in the gap between the spring and follower tab. The spring should still turn easily on the tab, but most of excess play is now gone.

Reassemble the magazine and test it out.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't shot my 10/22 in yrs, but I vaguely remember having to lightly file the metal feeder part on the bx mag.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clean your rifle. Don't over oil it.

If it's a rifle made in the last 15 years take it apart and use a Dremel and files to smooth out the crisp edges on the parts poorly machined. Smear some lapping compound on actions moving parts and work the action for a couple minutes. Disassemble and re-clean. Thoroughly.

The older bx25 when they first came out are as reliable as the bx10s. Even the newer less reliable ones are better than all the butler Creek and ramline shit that came before them.

Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve had my Ruger 1022 deluxe for many years, it was bought in 1987 and within the first mag full of ammo the trigger group went TU. It was replaced at no charge with a metal trigger group where I bought it. It’s had a lot of ammo run through it but I am meticulous about cleaning it after every shooting session.
To this day I still get 2 to 3 inch groups at 50 yards using the hot lips magazines. I never jumped on the BX bandwagon like many did since the hot lips worked great.

Y’all must have got lemons while I got a watermelon, Caveman loves watermelon... :bigsmile:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:35 pm
FFL / Dealer

Ill bring this post back from the dead. two new BX 25 and lots of issues with hollow points neither magazine will feed them. I took them home and took them apart no obvious rough edges , the internet trick of using a spent 22 round as a shim between follower and coil spring would not work as the newest models do not have the slop there . It is like it needs more of a feed ramp to get out of the magazine. feeds round nose stuff just fine.

Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next