Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Traveling to WA 

Hello, I moved away from WA to Texas in September but still come back often to visit family. I’ve got a couple questions.

1. Is my WA state CPL still valid now that I live in Texas? It has not expired yet. I don’t have a Texas CPL as constitutional carry is legal here.

2. With the 10 round mag ban can I bring my Glock 19 with me? I purchased it and it’s 15 round mags while I lived in Washington. I would like to conceal carry this while I’m there. I will not be buying or selling my magazines. Only possessing. Are they “grandfathered” in?

Any insight or links would be great. I’m not finding a lot.

Thanks!

Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your WA CPL is still valid as an out of state resident from what I just read.
In regards to the mags?
If you are in WA and they were legally obtained here and you have a valid CPL in WA?
They don't need to know the mags ever left the State.

I'm not a Lawyer though, so take that as you will.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:46 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

1) yes as long as it hasn’t expired you’re good

2) fuck them

Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
1) yes as long as it hasn’t expired you’re good

2) fuck them

You said what I said, only better. :thumbsup2:

Law Nancy's quoting endless bullshit in 3...2....1

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not a lawyer, please contact one for professional legal advice.

In my opinion for number 2, my assumption is that you are no longer a resident of Washington State, which means bringing a magazine that has exported the state (since you moved) may be considered importing since you are no longer a resident.

The fact that you were a resident and the magazine in question and the way the law is strictly written may be considered "the original" and "returning to Washington" as a plausible defense.

Just know that in the event you actually need to use your gun in self defense, even when the killing is justified, the District Attorney and prosecutor will likely use this fact to press charges against you.

You might still win, but bringing the magazine in would likely turn a situation of self defense shootings from "open shut case" where you never get charges, to one where you are in court rooms an defending 1 year in jail.

Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...and there you go, I knew it was coming.

I wonder how they would prove the magazine ever left the State?

"Oh, I'm sorry I had to defend my life using a standard capacity mag, did mention I brought it in from out of State?"

Yeah, no.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
...and there you go, I knew it was coming.

I wonder how they would prove the magazine ever left the State?

"Oh, I'm sorry I had to defend my life using a standard capacity mag, did mention I brought it in from out of State?"

Yeah, no.

If you are going to give legal opinion, you should really know how prosecutions, probable cause, and discovery works.

You shoot someone, the police show up and check on you as a suspect. They find that you are an out of state resident with a firearm with a magazine that is illegal to import in this state.

You explain to the police that "you are a former resident and that the magazine you have is originally from this state and that you are returning"

They can still charge you with the crime under RCW 9.41.370. Because they have "probable cause" you may have still committed a crime. You aren't guilty but you are under probable suspicion. Why?
- It's not the police's job to determine at the scene of the incident whether the magazine was out of state or not
- It's not the police's job to verify the authenticity of receipts of your magazine purchase and what date
- You probably can't prove that you were a resident right then and there. Do you still have a WA drivers license or identity showing that you live here?
- Any expired or digital documents that you come up with like a photo of an old drivers license or leases you had, it's not the police's job to prove the authenticity of the documents you had when originally lived in this state

All of the above is the job of the court. The police's job is the charge people who "might" be committing a crime

All the police officer has is someone who is not of this state with a magazine that is illegal to import into this state, and your word for it that it's "legal." So yes they can charge you because you "might" be committing a crime.

Can all of the above happen even if you are a resident of the state? Yes. But being a current resident gives them less "probable cause" reason than being a Texan.

Even if the police lets you go, the incident may still go over to the District Attorney office, or even the AG Bob Ferguson who made up all these laws in the first place if they have an axe to grind against you because you are a "white supremacist racist terrorist Texan" who must be stopped and thrown 364 days in jail, and charge you anyways.

So now you are charged with a crime, and how they prove it left the state is actually entirely up to your tactics for defense and whether you take advice from your lawyer. Your lawyer may want to provide evidence that the magazine was originally from that state, evidence that YOU provide because your lawyer believes it will help you and your case. You are obligated to turn that evidence over to the prosecution which proves your lack of guilt. Do you have to provide that evidence? No. Is your lawyer going to tell you to give it? Probably. Because you are "innocent until proven guilty" but it sure helps if you can prove your innocence.

Getting charged with a crime is a complicated process and doesn't stop at "officer you can't prove that it left here, I have reasonable doubt." and I would consider that the prosecuting office could be the same one from the AG Bob Ferguson who made up all these magazine laws are under, and that the jury is statistically likely 8-10 Biden voters out of 12.

Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:07 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

When someone asks what the law is, I don't think there's anything wrong with answering the question directly.

Opinions are fine, but a direct answer to the question is never a bad thing.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would agree Steve.

Question for you bubblewhip. Are you in the field of Law?

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
I would agree Steve.

No which is why any of the above is not legal advice and is just my opinion as an unprofessional nobody. My advice originally stands which if you want to go find out what's legal or not you go talk to one.

The internet gun forum is not your lawyer and will not help defend you in court if you get charged with a crime.

Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bubblewhip wrote:
usrifle wrote:
I would agree Steve.

No which is why any of the above is not legal advice and is just my opinion as an unprofessional nobody. My advice originally stands which if you want to go find out what's legal or not you go talk to one.

The internet gun forum is not your lawyer and will not help defend you in court if you get charged with a crime.

Fair enough. So when I gave my opinion was that any different?
You stated if I gave legal opinion I should really know the laws.
Since you are not in the field, was I wrong with my opinion?
Or was it just my opinion you don't agree with?

Honestly? This has already gone too far.

It was very simple to start with.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:42 pm

Really want to bring my G19 with RMR but I guess I might have to bring the p365 :(. And these are the reasons I’m now a Texan.

Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:39 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are two kinds of replies in this thread, and in most threads like this.

Question: "Is XXX legal?"

Reply type #1: "Here's what I think the law says..."

Reply type #2: "I don't care what the law says, here's what you should do..."

I think there's room for both types of replies, and both often have validity. If you're going to give a Type 2 reply, which isn't actually answering the question, be clear about that.

And don't flip shit at the people who are giving a Type 1 reply, actually answering the question.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:55 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

And now for my own Type 1 reply . . . no, you cannot legally bring a "hi-cap" mag into the state if you are a resident of another state.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No mention of being a resident:

Quote:
(14) "Import" means to move, transport, or receive an item from a place outside the territorial limits of the state of Washington to a place inside the territorial limits of the state of Washington. "Import" does not mean situations where an individual possesses a large capacity magazine when departing from, and returning to, Washington state, so long as the individual is returning to Washington in possession of the same large capacity magazine the individual transported out of state.

So I read that to mean you can only bring in mags that you took out when you moved. Doesn't matter if you aren't a resident anymore, you're still 'an individual'

Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next