Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Response from Rick Larsen (summary: "screw you!") 

A month or so ago I sent an email to my congressional rep Rick Larson (WA 2nd District) reminding him of his obligations. Today I got an email back that's composed of junk science, bad logic, ignorance, and arrogance. In a nutshell, "Screw you! I know better than the Founding Fathers!".

Quote:
Thank you for contacting me about gun violence in this country. Hearing from you is critical to my work, and I appreciate the chance to respond.

Across our nation, far too many communities have endured heartbreak due to gun violence. This issue hits close to home. In October 2014, a student
opened fire at Marysville-Pilchuck High School, killing four students and injuring another before killing himself. In July 2016, a gunman killed three and wounded one at a party in Mukilteo. And in September 2016, a gunman killed five people at the Cascade Mall in Burlington. 

I support the Second Amendment and understand how strongly people on all sides of the ongoing debate feel. I also am committed to fixing broken laws that have allowed tragedy to devastate communities like our own. Let me share some of my ongoing efforts to prevent gun violence.

First, I continue to believe that Congress should reinstate the ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines above 10 rounds. These military-style weapons serve no legitimate purpose in civilian life and have been used in some of the most brutal mass shootings, including Parkland, Sutherland Springs, Las Vegas, Orlando, and Newtown. 

I have heard from people in Northwest Washington that Congress should focus on enforcing existing laws designed to prevent gun violence. For this
reason, I want to fix the federal background check system, which is not working nearly as well as it should.  For example, under present law, gun
sales can proceed after three days have elapsed – regardless of whether investigators have completed a background check. Every year, this loophole
allows thousands of gun sales that should have been prohibited, including to the gunman at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, South Carolina.

I support requiring a completed background check for all gun sales. This Congress I voted for H.R. 8, the Bipartisan Background Checks Act and H.R. 1446, the Enhanced Background Checks Act which would close loopholes in the current background check system. I also support Ethan's Law, which would set federal standards for safe gun storage, as well as give states incentives to create and implement safe gun storage laws. 

At the state level, Washington has made improvements to gun sales requirements. Voters in every county I represent support commonsense gun laws in Washington state. However, state laws can only do so much without consistent federal policies.

Background checks and a renewed assault weapons ban are part, but not all of the solution. Unfortunately, a two-decade de facto federal ban on research into the public health impacts of gun violence has limited the information that policymakers can use when crafting legislative solutions to the gun violence epidemic. While some federal funding has been provided for gun violence research in recent years, I support permanently lifting the ban and dedicating an appropriate level of funding to this research so that Americans can make informed decisions.

Mental illness has been a factor in some mass shootings, although studies have consistently found that mentally ill people are more likely to be the victims, rather than perpetrators of violence. Addressing mental health should be an equal priority to addressing physical health, and I want to see Congress direct more research into mental illness and provide more funding for effective care of mentally ill individuals. 

Thoughts and prayers can comfort, lend strength, and help heal – but they cannot prevent tragedy. There are steps Congress can take to make communities safer and reduce the number of people hurt by gun violence.

Hearing your position is critical to my work in Congress. Thank you again for contacting me, and please continue to reach out.

Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just received this same form letter from a similarly dated email I sent to him. I posted it and my response to him in the "What Has Pissed You Off Today" thread. Since you started thisthread I will repost it here:

"Thank you for your wonderfully party-line conforming form letter, but it is clear that you not only seek to hold the law abiding responsible for the acts of criminals and the lapses in law enforcement - who fail to act upon information, for the negligence of judges - who fail to meaningfully sentence law breakers and clumsy missteps and irresponsible inaction of LEGISLATORS - who fail to provide the resources to enforce, sentence and house said CRIMINALS, but you also fail to recognize the intent of the Second Amendment as evidenced by your intention to deprive the citizenry of their right to bear arms.

Your authority rests in that of the citizenry and your mandate, bestowed upon you by US is to PRESERVE and protect our not to infringe upon them.

WE citizens and private industry thereof, develop, pay for and supply our government with the martial arms that guarantee our own liberties and we have EVERY right to those same implements.

That you seize upon fictitious terms misapplied to certain firearms (e.g. "assault weapon" and "high capacity" magazines) and seek to attribute the responsibility for crimes committed by criminals to the implements they use and accountability to the unassociated wider citizenry is a painfully transparent and cheap pandering for votes by trying to sensationalize tragedy and criminal acts for your own political gain.

This only harms the nation and our liberties for YOUR short term political gain. STOP IT.

with sad regards,
jukk0u"

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]