Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 School function, what do you guys do? 

I’m sitting in the parking lot of a school waiting for my kids activity to start and wondering what you guys do in these situations? I have to get out of my car. I had considered carrying anyway, or leaving it unloaded in the trunk (don’t like not having it on me). Ultimately decided not to bring it. Just curious what others do in similar situations.

J

Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From a legal standpoint that’s pretty clear. Cut and dry.
Do not take it into the building or other surrounding school property.

It is totally legal to have your firearm on you while picking up and dropping off on school grounds (with a CPL or equivalent) but that’s it.
Meaning if you get out of your car. That’s the cutoff. You can’t from a legal standpoint.

And no you can’t drive your car into the building either...

Some links -
Quote:
Exemptions
Exemptions to state and federal prohibitions on possession of firearms are made for persons who are licensed by the state to carry a concealed pistol. The GFSZA provides an allowance for licensed persons to possess firearms within 1000 feet of a school, and state law allows those licensed to carry a concealed pistol to possess a firearm on school grounds while picking up or dropping off a student. State law prohibits loaded firearms inside school facilities except for security and law enforcement.

http://www.k12.wa.us/safetycenter/Weapons/default.aspx

Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If i was carrying and i had to get out of the Car and enter the School i would leave it in the Car. On the flip side of that, all it would take is some Mom seeing you pulling it out and putting it under the seat to cause a full SWAT response. icon_eek
If i was just doing a trip to School and back for a Pickup where i might have to go inside, i would probably just Leave it at home and avoid any issue at all.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
From a legal standpoint that’s pretty clear. Cut and dry.
Do not take it into the building or other surrounding school property.

It is totally legal to have your firearm on you while picking up and dropping off on school grounds (with a CPL or equivalent) but that’s it.
Meaning if you get out of your car. That’s the cutoff. You can’t from a legal standpoint.

And no you can’t drive your car into the building either...

Some links -
Quote:
Exemptions
Exemptions to state and federal prohibitions on possession of firearms are made for persons who are licensed by the state to carry a concealed pistol. The GFSZA provides an allowance for licensed persons to possess firearms within 1000 feet of a school, and state law allows those licensed to carry a concealed pistol to possess a firearm on school grounds while picking up or dropping off a student. State law prohibits loaded firearms inside school facilities except for security and law enforcement.

http://www.k12.wa.us/safetycenter/Weapons/default.aspx

This. And then knowing where exits are, and being aware. Not much else you can do.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Concealed..............is concealed?

Lol, is that the wrong answer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mr. Q wrote:

For a School i would say Yes, wrong answer.

Don't do it.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You get into not just a state law but into Federal laws.

From a legal standpoint. Don’t do it.
It’s simply not worth the after effects to your life and even the ones you are protecting (as they will turn on you on a dime).

The math is simple from a jurors standpoint. 1+1 = jail for you.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are places where you just can't carry. You need to develop a different tool or skill for those places

Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

washington state RCW 9.41.280 (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.280)
lists, under *exemptons*
"(e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;"
so...I think you are good, and crazyinhead if you take legal advice from dudes on the internet...
I don't think getting out of the car is germain, if your kid is inside the building, you'd have to go inside to "pick them up."

Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My kids were all home schooled, with group class twice a month. Most all of the parents carry, as well as one of the course instructors. Home school education: the only way to teach your kids.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
There are places where you just can't carry. You need to develop a different tool or skill for those places

i've gained weight. guess i'm fucked. :ROFLMAO:

Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:
washington state RCW 9.41.280 (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.280)
lists, under *exemptons*
"(e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;"
so...I think you are good, and crazyinhead if you take legal advice from dudes on the internet...
I don't think getting out of the car is germain, if your kid is inside the building, you'd have to go inside to "pick them up."

This is something I’ve been wondering about, it doesn’t specify that you must remain in a vehicle while picking up or dropping off, however it’s very clear that you can’t enter the building as part of this exemption.

Quote:
(6) Except as provided in subsection (3)(b), (c), (f), and (h) of this section, firearms are not permitted in a public or private school building.

So if you need to get out of your vehicle to drop off and pick up your kids, which is usually the case for younger students, it appears to be fine under the law as long as you don’t enter the building.

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 3.0

Tue May 21, 2019 9:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mr. Q wrote:
Arisaka wrote:

i've gained weight. guess i'm fucked. :ROFLMAO:

It's called Tactical Girth.

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done. --- Leonardo DaVinci

When its time to go in:
That place of steel and stone. I pray that you will keep me safe, so I will not walk alone. Help me to do my duty, please watch me on my rounds.
Amongst those perilous places and slamming steel door sounds. God, keep my fellow Officers well and free from harm. Let them know I'll be there too, whenever there's alarm.
Above all when I walk my beat, no matter where I roam. Let me go back whence I came, to family and home

Author unknown.

Tue May 21, 2019 9:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mr. Q wrote:

Correct answer.

The first rule of concealed club, don't talk about concealed carry.

If your so worried about carrying in there and something legal happening because you used your piece to protect yourself or your kid, then lay there like a bitch with it in your pocket and let the perp shoot your ass. Just because you didn't leave it in your car, doesn't mean you have to pull it out either.

Then you wont have to defend your actions in a state or federal court. Dead victims (you) get charged with nothing.

I really have NO USE for folks that leave guns in cars. Leave it on your person or in your safe. Losers rob cars with guns daily. Don't contribute to that. Just my $.02

Tue May 21, 2019 10:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the 13 years my kid was in public school, and when I was with him on the UW ca mpus, I followed the "Don't ask, don't tell" doctrine. I'm pretty sure ther e were a few others that did too, but I didn't ask, and they didn't tell.

In my estimation, if I had really needed to use a firearm, then the benefit to cost ratio would have been well worth it. I'm not advocating any position for others. Everybody should weigh, be comfortable with, and accept the consequences of their own actions.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Tue May 21, 2019 2:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next